Increasing Dietary Fat

I know the usual approach is to include fatty cuts of meat in the diet or to use a working dog premium food.....however as Dallies are prone to breed-specific urinary stones, which are dependent on the amount and type of dietary protein, this makes it a bit difficult!

Currently Zig is on Eagle Pack - the only premium food I have found with a low purine protein source (i.e. chicken/pork) and 20% protein. Of course, it's a weight loss formula and therefore low fat so he's missing out a bit. He gets about 3 and a half cups a day, a chicken wing for supper, training treats include steamed chicken, boiled egg, tinned salmon in oil and Nature's Gift treats. Once or twice a week his dinner is a chicken frame instead of his dry food. Note that I avoid preservatives/colours etc like the plague.

Being a teenage Dally he is pretty active when he's awake :) and is just beginning to really fill out - being from late maturing lines it's suddenly becoming quite hard to keep weight on him without upping his dietary protein.

Any suggestions for an all-encompassing oil supplement would be most welcome :thumbsup:

My Beau Supplement is good if you can get it there.

I use Virgin coconut oil to increase the fat content of the dogs diet. It's a natural medium chain fatty acid and usually helps with beaut shiny coats.

Thanks PP - will try it with caution as my last attempt to give Ziggy cheese as a training treat didn't end well :thumbsup:

What sort of cheese did you give him? I don't think that the normal cheese isn't very good for dogs, I don't feed my dogs any apart from maybe using it to put a tablet in, the more natural less unprocessed stuff like cottage cheese is much better.

Just a spoonfull or so of the cottage cheese or youghrt mixed in with his other food would be fine I think.

Thanks Ashka for your suggestions :thumbsup: Do you use the Niulife Coconut Oil? That's what I got on a google search.

PP - come to think of it, the cheese was a rather rich cheddar :laugh: I'll definitely try him on a bit of full fat cottage cheese and see how he goes - thanks for the suggestion! Actually, I might even put it in a small container like I do with the salmon and use it as another training treat - his eyes will probably fall out of his spotty head with delight :)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Nuilife is one but I often buy the NZ Kaiora Organic brand Coconut Oil. What ever is Organic, Virgin and available when I need to replace it. Traveling around NZ makes shopping interesting at times.

Brie, Camenbert & Colby cheese, in that order :) are doglet's favourite treats. After a lifetime of medium sized dogs ~ he's a doglet :thumbsup:

Edited by Ashka

It's always the way, sandgrubber :D Especially me being an ex-pat West Aussie :love:

Ashka, your doglet ( :laugh: ) sounds delightfully spoiled....with tastes similar to my cats :D

Again, thanks for all the ideas - most helpful. I'll start with the cottage cheese and see how he goes - will update in a few days.

:( look in the supermarket or butcher for containers of LARD or SUET :laugh: Pig fat and beef fat respectively.

A spoonful or two a day...he will LOVE it :cool:

MANY years ago... we used to render down the fat from sheep we butchered... mix up dry dog food in it... and skinny dogs/bitches with pups used to get that :)

I see pork rind come up in woolies butchery section. Cut into long strips it has added value chewyness. Her Lolaness doesn't need much help in the good do'er department but I pass some over to the rels for their hard working dogs, to supplement lean meat meals.

Where are you TSD? A chicken shop near me seels the frames with the bums attached and they have alot of fat and skin, this might be suitable.

They sound great, Alison - the frames I get are pretty lean. I live Bayside but am at Melbourne Uni and OH works at the RAAF base in Laverton so we've got a bit of flexibility :clap:

ETA: Just got back from the local supermarket - do you know how hard it is to find full fat anything???? :clap: