What To Do When They Disobey A Command?

My shepherd is usually very good with obedience(just basic stuff)but i had trained her when doing a recall to come on my right and than around to the left to sit.Have started taking her to the local obedience club and am now trying to get her to recall to the front first.

This morning out the front(we front onto a reserve)I was drilling it about 7 times for training tomorrow when she decieded she'd had enough and on the recall diverted and went straight to the front door.

Just wondered how i should handle this.Should i have brought her back down and continued?I did bring her back inside and put her in her crate.

Any thoughts?

My shepherd is usually very good with obedience(just basic stuff)but i had trained her when doing a recall to come on my right and than around to the left to sit.Have started taking her to the local obedience club and am now trying to get her to recall to the front first.

This morning out the front(we front onto a reserve)I was drilling it about 7 times for training tomorrow when she decieded she'd had enough and on the recall diverted and went straight to the front door.

Just wondered how i should handle this.Should i have brought her back down and continued?I did bring her back inside and put her in her crate.

Any thoughts?

Do you treat her for getting it right? My Border Collie will do anything for a treat, if not he looses interest.

Any thoughts?

Do you treat her for getting it right? My Border Collie will do anything for a treat, if not he looses interest.

Yep,sure do.She loves her food and will normally do anything for them

Any thoughts?

In the NDTF course we've been told never to give a dog a reinforcer after it has disobeyed. So if it disobeys and then you reissue the command and it does obey we shouldn't be giving it a treat. Something to do with teaching the dog that if it disobeys then obeys it always gets a treat where if it obeys the first time it will only sometime get a treat?

You should have finished with the dog when it was fully interested and keen, sound like you missed that point.

I would have gone, got the dog and done some other excercise that the dog know really well and really likes doing, than played with the dog.

thanks for the replies.

She was going really well,we'd only been training for about 5 mins (not just recalls) after a quick 20min walk when she did the diversion to the door.I didn't pick up on it coming and she's never done it before

Edited by 4 Paws

Any thoughts?

Yep,sure do.She loves her food and will normally do anything for them

One thing I try to do is keep any training sessions to about 10mins. I find that after performing a trick or command a few times in as many minutes my dog gets fed up with it and refuses to do it and sometimes even tells me off...lol. I try to get him to do different things too and then have a bit of a play with a ball or frizbee. eg. Sit, Drop, Stand, Come, Sit, Speak, Give me 5, Shake hands; Stand, Spin, Figure 8 etc.etc...something different each time, but still repeating the tricks in that time. I expect that doing the same thing 7 times in a row could be boring for them as it would be for a human.

I agree with most of the above.

Rather than doing so many full recalls........do short fronts......and incorporate them in a game like the two food game. You need to put a high value on the recall, and keep it fun.

Often let her rome free to sniff and explore, then call her to front, but put a high value on her return each time. Again make a game of it, then let her return to what she was doing.

Stay away from too much formal stuff. If you want to keep your dog happy and keep good drive, you need to make everything a high value game.

A high value food lure should ensure the dog fronts before thinking about going around. If not.......stand against a wall.

To add to dogdude - at the moment I am not doing any long recalls as Diesel has taken to anticipating and is not holding his stays. But I am doing lots of come fores, which he loves and thinks it is a great game! He also loves finishes, so I do those at the end of the session as a treat :laugh:

Yep you did too many. However I would probably gone and got her and would have done a recall on lead to finish. Just to establish that the dog must come when I call. Very easy to teach a dog that it doesn't have to.

As with others I teach the front bit separately from the recall. Usually by walking forwards and then me running backwards and calling the dog. You can guide the dog into the right place pretty easily and dogs seem to think this is quite a fun thing to do.

thanks for the replies.

She was going really well,we'd only been training for about 5 mins (not just recalls) after a quick 20min walk when she did the diversion to the door.I didn't pick up on it coming and she's never done it before

Your dog did not only only disobey a command/cue, it (in retrieving terms) bolted.

You need to simplify training, look for good responses. Short training sessions. Watch your dog closely. Dogs do what works for them (just like us LOL).

Any thoughts?

dogs need to finish any type of training session with a WIN. if you dont set the dog up to win or you overtrain as in this case it will more likely take your dog backwards and it can be very difficult to get back the dogs enthusiasm to train. what you should be watching for is any type of improvement,the moment you see improvement thats your key to reward your dog.