Stitches After Desexing

lovemesideways

Rover, 6 month old male labrador. got desexed on monday.

Usually i take him for a walk then a romp in the local dog park. I dont know how this will effect his stitches though.

help anyone?

Also, he has dandruff. Why would that be? And how could I get rid of it.

Your vet should have supplied you with after care instructions. If they didn't, very neglectful. Rover should definitely not be walking or running for at least 2 days. Backyard only. No walking or running out of the house for about 10days. At 10 days can start gentle walking on a lead. At 14days, stitches out and should be back to normal.

Your vet should have supplied you with after care instructions. If they didn't, very neglectful. Rover should definitely not be walking or running for at least 2 days. Backyard only. No walking or running out of the house for about 10days. At 10 days can start gentle walking on a lead. At 14days, stitches out and should be back to normal.

This is very like what the vet told me today when our adult Tibbie girl was desexed. We were also cautioned not to let her go up & down stairs while the stiches were in.....& no jumping down terraces in the garden. Also we have to keep an eye that she doesn't chew the stitches.

Also be careful your pup doesn't lick the area too much. My girl licked her stitches constantly and ended up with an infection. In the end she had to wear one of those plastic things around her head to stop her licking, plus we had to put her on anti biotics and anti inflammitories.

Edited by kimness

Our standard recommendations are; preferably no exercise so keep rover as quiet as possible, keep sutures clean and dry, no licking or chewing at the suture line, check daily for redness/swelling/discharge call immediately if any is noticed. Sutures are generally removed 10-14 days after surgery.

My vet advised short walks, keep calm (yeah right!), no jumping or excessive exercise, no bathing.

But it's mainly keep an eye out for redness, irritation, glands in the groin swelling, swelling around stitch site or anything that might show he's not well. Definitely no running around off lead or swimming or running around with other dogs.

Was the dandruff there before being desexed? If it was it might be a skin problem that might need a medicated shampoo or an allergy. If the dandruff appeared after desexing it might be stress related. Ask your vet about it when you get the stitches out.

Also, he has dandruff. Why would that be? And how could I get rid of it.

My boy had slight dandruff before the desex, and really awful dandruff after the desex, for about a fortnight, I put it down to the anaesthetic and gave him doses of olive oil (slugged over his chicken necks) and anchovies (tinned in olive oil) as well as his usual home made barf mix and it cleared up in a couple of weeks.

I know when I have had anaesthetic, my skin and scalp were very dry afterwards. Keeping up the BARF principle and a quick brush more often (he is a smooth coated MF) have improved it, almost non existant now.

Edited by sjl79

My vet told me to confine him for a couple of days - IMPOSSIBLE! He was so full of energy, I was expecting him to be drowsy for at least 24hrs, nuh-uh :shakehead: .

Turtle is a very robust dog though, he's virtually bulletproof. I kept him in a run, and took him for gentle walks after a week. The main thing for him was not to jump up on anything - that was going to stretch and pop them (he did jump up a couple of times, but it was ok).

Keep them dry, too - there was terential rain when he got done and it was difficult to do, but we just had to to avoid infection. Is Rover an inside dog? This might make it easier...

Good luck :rolleyes:

ETA: agree, the vet definitely should have given you written instructions - give them a call if not :laugh:

Edited by newnewf

Yeah the dandruff was there before desexing.

My pup had dandruff, flaky skin with dry hard hair when I got her as a pup. She also had fleas with dermatitis patches. She had been raised on a dry food diet with chicken frames. I changed the dry food and added raw meat/BARF diet and now also feed sardines at least once or twice a week. Also maybe once a week I mix dry food with a raw egg. Her coat is now much shinier and softer, this change happened within a couple of weeks. So you could try changing your dog's diet and see what happens. Depends whether he is really itchy or irritated with it as well as it could be an allergic reaction to something in diet or environment. Some shampoos do help but don't use a human one!

We had our puppy desexed on monday too..

we were told to keep her a calm as possible...what a joke! keep her dry and not let her jump around too much. of course, the next morning i let her out for the toilet and she starts chasing sparrows in the yard!!!

try to not let your dog lick the wound..

we have a crate for our puppy si am am crating her a few times a day while im here for about an hour at a time to make sure she is resting and taking it easy..

I had our 6 yr old bitch done 3 weeks ago. We were told to keep her confined for a couple of days. I knew she was a licker so I insisted on pain relief to bring home which worked a treat. There was only one day that she worried the wound and that was the day after the pain killers had finished, about day 5. And she jumped up and down off the bed. She did not rip her stitches or have any infection. Our problem now is because she was incarcerated with us for 10 days she has become very clingy and won't go out with the other dogs now.

The first day we brought Izzy home (last Friday), she was fairly quiet. We were told no chasing balls and no rough games. I asked about stairs and the vet said that should be fine. She didn't worry too much the first day or two but after that, she was running up the stairs. I tried to stop her but she obviously wasn't in any pain and her little cut was healing really well. She has been on a couple of short walks since.

We were told not to let her play with other dogs and not to get wet. She hasn't even worried about licking her stitches, either.

I check her stitches everyday and there has been no swelling or redness.

Noodle was speyed yesterday ... different reaction from the others ... she apparently is the 1% that DO care about the stitches :thumbsup: groan.

She was in overnight and is home this afternoon ... ate well tonight and drinking ok but not happy about tryign to walk and when I take her outside she just sits on the lawn. There is no redness at the stitches site but she is also wearing an Elizbethan collar .. not my idea but the vets. I asked about this before she was speyed and they were of the opinion that most dogs do what you have all described ... except her ... she continues to be 'UNIQUE'!

Noodle is inside and crated at night and inside when we are at home most of the time. As the weather is mild and beautiful days I have put two of her pens together (not used since camping and since she was a baby) with her kennel inside it and she will have to be in there during the day. Once she starts feeling better I am concerned she will be up to her old antics of 'flying' off the back deck!!

Any advice as to if I should try to wipe down the wound site with saline or the like or do absolutely nothing?

PS Our vet did give us aftercare instructions (printed) but I did not get to ask this question as OH picked her up.

Also our vet has an AH number which is fabulous!

I wouldn't touch the wound site..if it looks clean and dry :thumbsup:

Leave her water and food in heavy .smaller bowls , so she can drink/eat easier...or remove the collar a few times a day for some supervised 'free time' :rolleyes:

She will get used to it.

It will take her a couple of days to get accustomed to the collar, and for the meds to clear her system, probably... then she'll be wanting to GO .

I wouldn't touch the wound site..if it looks clean and dry :rolleyes:

Leave her water and food in heavy .smaller bowls , so she can drink/eat easier...or remove the collar a few times a day for some supervised 'free time' :rasberry:

She will get used to it.

It will take her a couple of days to get accustomed to the collar, and for the meds to clear her system, probably... then she'll be wanting to GO .

Thanks for the advice Persephone .. I do fret when she is unwell or the kids are sick ... groan ..... hate to see her dragging herself around. The vet nurse seems to think that some dogs just do not like the dragging sensation of the sutures when they walk .. fair enough I reckon (brings back childhood memories of having my appendix out and trying to walk!) :thumbsup:

I agree. Do not mess with the wound site. Let it heal naturally. Many people take the elizabethan collars off coz they feel sorry for the dog or the dog doesn't like it. Then the dog irritates or chews the stitches and it's back to vet for another bill! This time, they leave the collar on. Persevere and you will have your girl back to normal in no time.

I agree. Do not mess with the wound site. Let it heal naturally. Many people take the elizabethan collars off coz they feel sorry for the dog or the dog doesn't like it. Then the dog irritates or chews the stitches and it's back to vet for another bill! This time, they leave the collar on. Persevere and you will have your girl back to normal in no time.

I wont be taking that collar off believe me! I just have to ensure that my OH doesn't!! :thumbsup: He has already talked about taking it off in a couple of days ... grrrr!! NOT! I do not want her going through it all again and I also value my sleep as I can guarantee that it would be in the wee small hours of the morning that she would get into the stitches if the collar was taken off .. three guesses who would be going to the vet and departing with the hard earned cash?!! Moi!! It ain't coming off no matter how sad she looks and I feel for her. :rolleyes:

:D :rofl::rofl: ;) ;) :mad:)

Took kids out for 2 hours this mornign while OH working on the house ....

Noodle managed to get the collar off!! We now have it threaded through an oold collar of hers so she has two on now so I hope this will prevent it coming off again.

Put Noodle in the pen out the back 1 hour later .. within 5 minutes she was out sitting on the deck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE!!! :rofl:

Put her back in teh pen and fixed teh collar up - lots of electrical tape as she had managed to try and rip that off too.

Put her back in teh pen and looked out the window .... within 2 minutes she was climbing up teh side of the pen (between the pen and her kennel) and pulled herself up on the kennel!! Then when I came out the back door she took a flying leap off it!! Any I was sorried about stairs and the back deck (groan)

Removed the kennel and put her back in the pen.

Stitches still look to be in place thank goodness from what I can see although a little loose :rofl:

Noodle aka Houdini!!!!!

She is now carrying on out the back in the pen .. it is gonna be a lllllloooooong 2 weeks! ;) :o:o:rofl: