Kongs

We've had a Kong for our dog for ages but have never actually filled it with anything as I haven't come across the actual 'Kong Filling products'.

Wondering what everyone fills theres with as I presume if you put normal dog biscuits in they are just going to fall out :rolleyes:

There was a thread on this..but I can't find it.

Kongs can be stuffed with almost anything.

Dog's normal food...

a mix of kibble, chicken wings, cream cheese..

The inside can be spread with peanut butter, and then filled with pieces of fruit, or kibble , or cubed meat ..

block up the small hole securely.. add yummy food..fill with stock/water, and freeze!

Spread the inside with cream cheese, and add a LARGE piece of meat.. so large that you have to really work to stuff it thru the hole!

Those bone shaped biscuits are good... poked in lengthwise, they are hard to get out.

Spread vegemite thinly around the inside....

Use whatever your dog eats... but make sure you wedge bits in, and spread things, so it is difficult to get the food :rolleyes:

Have fun.

I use penut butter sometimes, cheese, beef strips torn up, bone shaped dog biscuits, you can get special Kong brand biscuits in Big W, Kmart and pet supply stores. I have used apple before too. And pet mince.

Bomber always gets peanut butter in his kong i think i would be in trouble otherwise. :rolleyes:

I've also put in there

Broken up schmackos

Any kind of dog biscuit

His kibble

Block cheese cut up

Kabana

Mince

Banana

Sandwich meat. Any kind ie chicken, ham, silverside, roast beef

I guess anything that they like and that will fit you can chuck in them. Some things are worse to clean out of them than others though :laugh:

I have tried a few of those loaf products the supermarkets sell but found that most of them are too soft so my labs clean them out in no time at all. The one that works well is the platinum tender chicked and brown rice that safeway sell. It has a reasonably non slippery and solid consistency that resists the dogs for a while in their kongs. Shoving one of those bone shaped biscuits in as well makes it a bit harder as they have to work around it.

I mostly freeze mince in Shiva's kong, but also use peanut butter, bread, cheese, kibble etc. She cleans them out pretty quickly so freezing them makes them last a bit longer. I've even jammed chicken necks in there (I really had to push them in) and she manages to somehow get them out!

I always freeze mine too coz otherwise it only takes Chloe a couple of minutes to clean it out!

She gets a combination of any of the following - yoghurt, cream cheese, peanut butter, ripped up schmakos, liver jerky, cabonossi, chicken, cheese, puppy chunkers, apple, pear etc. Just shove it in and freeze!

Filled the Kong up yesterday and our dog had a couple of sniffs and that was it :laugh: She got on piece of smacko out of it but it's now just lying in the garden, so I don't think she likes it.

Perhaps it's because she hasn't had one from a young age so she's over that kind of thing? Oh well, will leave it there for awhile and maybe she will go back to it.

If it's too hard, she might get easily discouraged. Sometimes it's good to make it really easy at first so they learn that it pays off. That's where the peanut butter and cream cheese and the likes come in handy, too. If you smear some in, they can smell it and taste it when they lick, so they keep at it. I found with KT that to begin with I had to put in things he really liked and make sure it was easy for him to get it out again. He's working up to harder things. I put in mince mixed with cottage cheese and vegies, which is part of his daily diet anyway. It's sloppy, so easy to get out, but little bits get caught on the ridges. If he gets bored of it, Penny cleans them up for him!

Kivi Tarro doesn't like peanut butter, though. Apparently he's a freak.

If it's too hard, she might get easily discouraged. Sometimes it's good to make it really easy at first so they learn that it pays off. That's where the peanut butter and cream cheese and the likes come in handy, too. If you smear some in, they can smell it and taste it when they lick, so they keep at it. I found with KT that to begin with I had to put in things he really liked and make sure it was easy for him to get it out again. He's working up to harder things. I put in mince mixed with cottage cheese and vegies, which is part of his daily diet anyway. It's sloppy, so easy to get out, but little bits get caught on the ridges. If he gets bored of it, Penny cleans them up for him!

Kivi Tarro doesn't like peanut butter, though. Apparently he's a freak.

Good point about making it easy for her to get things out of for awhile, thanks Corvus :laugh:

Filled the Kong up yesterday and our dog had a couple of sniffs and that was it :rolleyes: She got on piece of smacko out of it but it's now just lying in the garden, so I don't think she likes it.

Perhaps it's because she hasn't had one from a young age so she's over that kind of thing? Oh well, will leave it there for awhile and maybe she will go back to it.

My old boy was 6 or 7 before he first got 1, they weren't around before that. And he was fine with it, but I was told to make it easy for him to start with so I used mostly dry biscuits that would fall out easily with some more interesting things around the top. Ricky got so good at emptying it that after a while I started putting a few cubes of cheese on top of whatever else was in it and sticking it in the microwave for 10 seconds so that the cheese melted through and stuck everything together. He would work at it for hours then to empty it.

I would suggest getting something more interesting than schmakos - maybe chicken chunkers, or even putting some mince in there and leaving it fairly loose so that it comes out easily.

Edited by piper