Snobby Pup!

joelle

Hi all, im after some suggestions pls......... Jake was on eukanuba and we have been through 2 bags of it but VERY slowly. We have had him for 3 months................He was having to be convinced to eat it, I thought a pup should eat immediately, how many times have we heard of puppies stuffing themselves whenver they get the opportunity..... not Jakey. Anyhow, I did the unthinkable and ran out of food so las t week got Lucky dog puppy................... He loved it..............

Off goes I to the pet food store, I explained to the guy that Jake doesnt like euk, yet loved the cheap stuff. He likened it to kids preferring Macdonalds to a veggie dish :laugh:

He recommended Advance, said most dogs love it, so much that they will refund if the dog doesnt like it.

Does jake like it?????

No.

ANy ideas, shall I perserve? With the euk, I added variety, rice, sardines etc, but it was a struggle to get him to eat. he also gets chicken necks and raw meaty bones and loves these.

His weight is growing steadily so I know he must be getting enough but he is sooooo slow, sometimes just ignores it, like tonight.

BTW Jake is 22 weeks old JRT

Should I give more bones and chicken and just tiny amounts of kibble?? (remember thought, he loved the cheap one and wolfed it down ;) )

Hi all, im after some suggestions pls......... Jake was on eukanuba and we have been through 2 bags of it but VERY slowly. We have had him for 3 months................He was having to be convinced to eat it, I thought a pup should eat immediately, how many times have we heard of puppies stuffing themselves whenver they get the opportunity..... not Jakey. Anyhow, I did the unthinkable and ran out of food so las t week got Lucky dog puppy................... He loved it..............

Off goes I to the pet food store, I explained to the guy that Jake doesnt like euk, yet loved the cheap stuff. He likened it to kids preferring Macdonalds to a veggie dish :laugh:

He recommended Advance, said most dogs love it, so much that they will refund if the dog doesnt like it.

Does jake like it?????

No.

ANy ideas, shall I perserve? With the euk, I added variety, rice, sardines etc, but it was a struggle to get him to eat. he also gets chicken necks and raw meaty bones and loves these.

His weight is growing steadily so I know he must be getting enough but he is sooooo slow, sometimes just ignores it, like tonight.

BTW Jake is 22 weeks old JRT

Should I give more bones and chicken and just tiny amounts of kibble?? (remember thought, he loved the cheap one and wolfed it down ;) )

Maybe try mixing the kibble, majority being the good stuff and a little of the junk food :D you might also be able to use some kind of gravy to mask it a bit so he can't just pick out the bits that he likes. Eventually you might be able to get him to the point of just the Euk and not the junk lol. Good luck!

Why not feed him more things like chicken wings, red meat, minced chicken(with bone included) lamb shanks etc ..and as you suggested, a little bit of the kibble?

Do search for BARF on here..and have a think.......... ;)

How often a day are you feeding him?

He is being fed twice daily morning and night other than training days, when I feed once only. Forgot to add I also am using Tucker time mixed into his kibble, he loves tucker time but still not convinced to eat the kibble.

I am thinking along the same lines, mix a tiny bit of junk food, good stuff (meaty bones etc), and extra tastes.

On training nights he is spoiled and gets chicken, hot dogs, cheese ec, lots of etra yummy treats that he ONLY gets when he works for it. IS this the problem???? Refusing boring old kibble (That costs a small fortune :laugh: because he is wondering wht he doesnt get chicke n cheese etc every night?? I was told to give these specially at training though.

I dont mins the cost factor.As long as he is going to eat it. I dont want to keep trying different expensive brands just to waste money, although if he doesnt eat the advanc, they will refund :rofl:

I wonder if I could pick up some free samples anywhere??

I have recently had a very similar problem with my sammie pup who is now 12 weeks old.

Neither of my dogs will touch Advance (and i have a Lab!!!) and mistral is a very fussy eater. He was on Super coat but we have slowly put him on Optimum which he actually seems to like a lot more, but still eats very slowly :laugh: .

I have put my pup on fresh meat, rices, veggies, sardines, tuna is very popular and just add a little kibble. He loves that.

you might want to check, i think you will find all the super premium brands offer a 100% money back guarantee. As long as there i s a majority of the bag left, at least then you can try a few different brands to find one he likes and not have to worry about wasting all that money.

My pups were on pro plan but i have slowly changed them onto a specific royal cannin diet for there breed. They were not keen on the pro plan but seem to like the royal cannin. I do mix it with a tiny amount of chicken, sardines or eagle pack can food plus a drop of hot water. I find they are more eager to eat when its mixed.

I feel your pain!

Bomber wasn't keen on any kibble unless it was Beneful which for multiple reasons i decided to stop giving him. I thought changing it over would be a disaster but as soon as we tried Eagle Pack Holistic we didn't look back. He will eat it on it's own and he has never done that before!

Why not feed him more things like chicken wings, red meat, minced chicken(with bone included) lamb shanks etc ..and as you suggested, a little bit of the kibble?

Do search for BARF on here..and have a think.......... :worship:

Noodle was the same ... ate the Advance rehydratable when she came home for quite a few months and then 'Nope! You have GOT to be kiddin' I ain't eatin' that stuff!!" attitude started .... :rasberry:

I tried all sorts of things to try and get her to eat it ... veggies mixed in, rice etc etc ... NOPE! Little rat bag would nose the kibble out of the food and leave a pile of it!!

But,.... her archilles heal is chicken mince ... so I now mix the Advance rehydratable/Eagle pack mix with the chicken mince .... BINGO!!! :thumbsup: Have not had to resort to the Macca's of dog food :rolleyes:

If he likes the cheap stuff and does well then feed it to him, my gsds are on euk but Pig likes woolworths brand dry and if my sheps can get into it they gobble it up

Thanks for all replies, he has been a better over the last couple of days with the 'Advance.' I have been adding vegies, cat food, anything with a bit of extra taste really, touch wood, he is eating ok...................

Maccas dog food :thumbsup: it made me laugh too.