Eagle Pack Or Proplan?

Hi Guys,

My GSD is 1yr old and on advance but Im thinking of trying out Eagle pack or Proplan.. I know heaps of ppl use EP but the two places in my area Ive asked about it say the vic distributor is really bad and its very hard to get....

Im in the Blackburn Area in Melb, does anyone know where else I can get these foods from and which they prefer?

Thanks heaps..

I usually get EP at Pet Stock, South Melbourne. Thats tru if it's hard to get it cause currently most pet stock running out of it.. I am in trouble to get one also... hehehehe

I am not sure about pro plan quality, better read the ingridients first before you buy :)

both products are good, I normally recommend eagle pack and think it is probably slightly better than pro plan. I am a retailer of eagle pack in NSW and it can be difficult to get sometimes. My wholesaler if often out of stock because eagle pack themselves are waiting on a shipment. It is a great product they just need to sort out there ordering. :) I always make sure i stock up good just incase but its not often an issue.

I feed both at my house. Started them both out on Proplan but my Wei didn't do too well on it so I switched him to Eagle Pack. My Lagotto on the other hand has always thrived on Proplan so I have kept her on it.

I dont have too much trouble getting EP. I usually contact my stockist a week or two before I am due to run out and that gives them plenty of time to order it in if needed.

I have just switched to Eagle Pack from Advance. The only difference I have noted so far is the amount of poop produced has almost doubled since the switch. This has surprised me, as I always thought that less waste is good?

I've fed both, and they are both good products. For the money i believe EP is better... i fed a little less, plus the quality is a bit better (no by-products, less fillers). I've had issues with EP distribution as well and now refuse to buy it. Have recently changed all of my girls over to Artemis which they absolutely love and is a very concentrated food which makes it excellent value for money. I get it delivered free by K9katz - great, friendly service and will deliver to your workplace or home if you're within 50km of Melbourne: http://www.artemispetfood.com.au/products_dog_1.htm

Yes, I would recommend Eaglepack, especially the Holistic one. Bit more expensive, but less fillers and better ingredients. I use the Holistic fish and lamb ones and get excellent results (her coat and eyes seem better and she needs bathing less often on this type of food)

Read your labels, try the ones that interest you then use the one that suits YOUR dogs the best, the one that they do best on.

If it turns out to be a supermarket brand so be it.

The crap that goes on here about dog foods is amazing.

No matter what the brand, or how much it costs or if indeed it has gold nuggets in the bag, somewhere some dogs will not do well on it. My neighbours rottie looks like a BIS winner and is as fit as a fiddle, healthy as, and it lives on coprice and table scraps. He looked like crap, and had constant ear troubles on an imported brand that I feed to some of mine.

Read, try, then stick to what suits.

Feeding a lower price, locally produced product doesn't make you an uncaring owner, just as feeding the top of the range fully imported all the bells and whistles food does not make you a better owner it may make you feel all good inside but at the end of the day it is what YOUR dog does best on.

It's got me beat how dogs lived happy healthy long lives before all these whizz bang brands came along, and they did, really they did.

Read your labels, try the ones that interest you then use the one that suits YOUR dogs the best, the one that they do best on.

If it turns out to be a supermarket brand so be it.

The crap that goes on here about dog foods is amazing.

No matter what the brand, or how much it costs or if indeed it has gold nuggets in the bag, somewhere some dogs will not do well on it. My neighbours rottie looks like a BIS winner and is as fit as a fiddle, healthy as, and it lives on coprice and table scraps. He looked like crap, and had constant ear troubles on an imported brand that I feed to some of mine.

Read, try, then stick to what suits.

Feeding a lower price, locally produced product doesn't make you an uncaring owner, just as feeding the top of the range fully imported all the bells and whistles food does not make you a better owner it may make you feel all good inside but at the end of the day it is what YOUR dog does best on.

It's got me beat how dogs lived happy healthy long lives before all these whizz bang brands came along, and they did, really they did.

I agree with you 100%, feed whatever works best for your dog :confused: . I do however choose to believe that there is always a better product available than supermarket stuff. If a dog dose well on supermarket food i am sure a better quality product could be found that they would do just as well if not even better on. There has been so many advances made in dog nutrition these days that we now know what is the best diet they should be on. Same with the advances in vet medicine, sure years ago dogs "survived" but i sure am thankful that these advances have been made so my dogs can receive the best food and care possible.

I also find it amusing that when someone on here asks for opinions about which super premium dry food they should try, there is always someone to quickly jump up and down and try and defend the supermarket foods :eek: (when i say supermarket I'm don't include Purina one or optimum, if you do feed supermarket because thats all your dog does well on then i think those 2 are acceptable).

I don't know how with what we know about canine nutrition these days people can still Deny the fact that supermarket food is all CRAP!!!!

by the way this not aimed at you or having a go at you crisovar, your post was mearly my inspiration - i agree with you about feeding what works best for you. i agree eagle pack is great but would not suite every dog ;)

I have just switched to Eagle Pack from Advance. The only difference I have noted so far is the amount of poop produced has almost doubled since the switch. This has surprised me, as I always thought that less waste is good?

Are you using the ordinary or Holistic varieties? IMO the Holistic varieties are far superior and most importantly for me they don't contain corn which causes lots of soft and sometimes runny poo in two of my dogs.

Hi Guys,

My GSD is 1yr old and on advance but Im thinking of trying out Eagle pack or Proplan.. I know heaps of ppl use EP but the two places in my area Ive asked about it say the vic distributor is really bad and its very hard to get....

Im in the Blackburn Area in Melb, does anyone know where else I can get these foods from and which they prefer?

Thanks heaps..

Hi! Sorry just found this thread .. I get my dry food from Petstock in Mitcham .. I am also changing over my pup from Advance rehydratable to EP. I tend to get the Advance or Ep when they have 50% off sales .. the last time they had run out but ordered some in for me (worked out to $15 a 3kg bag!! bargain! So, I either get two bags at 50% off (or two for the price of 1 = 4 bags) and keep a good stock at home. My pup gets a mixture of the dry kibble and chicken mince (with chicken frames occassionally) and vegies thrown in. Works well for her as she has a sensetive tum :)

I do think it depends on your dog! I was hanging to try EP but found that my dogs do better on Proplan. So I mainly use Proplan and use EP as a change every now and then. I only use the Holistic EP range though. Petstock Mitcham should stock EP.