Lagotta Grooming

Yes, my family have a Lagotto which we groom ourselves. What would you like to know?

Hi, I am aware you should not blow dry and only us a comb no brushes. ??? Also with clipping, any do's or don't's ?? What shampoo do you use? Have you found any that really do not suit?

The show people blow dry there dogs .Fluffing the coat out & a good brush through ensures no matts.

As for a clip its simply comes down to you whether you want an easy maintance coat or more coat & the coat your dog has.

Shampoo is an individual dog thing .We use heads n shoulders or pantene.

The show people blow dry there dogs .Fluffing the coat out & a good brush through ensures no matts.

As for a clip its simply comes down to you whether you want an easy maintance coat or more coat & the coat your dog has.

Shampoo is an individual dog thing .We use heads n shoulders or pantene.

When you say you use Head and Shoulders or Pantene?? Wouldn't you use something PH balanced for dogs? They have a different ph level to us. I am guessing they give you no problems?

I never blowdry my lagottos at the shop... we brush and fluff first them wash and air dry in a warm room that way you keep the look of the curl.. Ive got 2 that i groom one gets a #3 twice a year and the other go a #5 beginning of summer by their choice cause she get hot... They both get bathed in either plush puppy or a tee tree based shampoo that we have at the salon and always use a conditioner. can use aloveen oatmeal as its a leave in but its all subjective... I have to say that i would never use human shampoo on dogs... it temd to dry out the skim and coat, can cause problems later down the track but thats me.

25 years of using human stuff & never a problem.

My showdogs are done twice weekly maintance,pee feathers nightly & then show baths .

We would never use tea tree based as dogs can react but as said everyone has different views but most of it is vet business

25 years of using human stuff & never a problem.

My showdogs are done twice weekly maintance,pee feathers nightly & then show baths .

We would never use tea tree based as dogs can react but as said everyone has different views but most of it is vet business

I have to agree with you. I use human shampoo on my Havanese show coats and I have never ever had a problem and Judges comment on the beautiful texture of their coats

i was always taught never to use human shampoo on dogs either as we have a Ph of 5.5 and dogs have a Ph of 7. Having said that i know lots of people who use human shampoo on there dogs without a problem. I would never use human shampoo on any of clients dogs but would consider giving it a go on my own if it has good results and no ill effect. I have Tzus ATM am using plush puppy and suggestions from those of you using human stuff as to what i could try :laugh:

sorry to hijack thread :eek:

Edited by k9kutz

I show afghans. Personally I disagree with using human products on dogs. Most human products are silicone based which is terrible long term for dogs. I believe that you may get a good result using human stuff but if you try premium dog products, you will get even better results. And most certainly will have better results long term. Sorry guys, but i see no logical reason to use humans products on dogs. I don't wash my hair in dog shampoo so why would i do the reverse?

With a curly coated breed, I find it best to blow dry the coat, trim into desired shape/length and then, if the owner wants the natural curl, it is simple to just lightly spray the coat with a leave in conditioner or just water and the curl springs back. Saves the dog having to hang around the shop longer then necesary.

unless you are testing the ph of your water it isn't going to make much difference

What's the ph of the water got to do with it? Why bother advertising the ph of any product, human or animal, if the water affects the ph level of it? What if you apply the product directly to the dog? (Just interested to know.)

Gentle & mild baby shampoos I have used with no problem though I will normally use a canine shampoo. On really really dirty visitors/fosters I have been known to use unscented dishwashing liquid for the first lather...

I have personally seen two dogs (1 x SBT, 1 x Silky cross) with burn scars from human shampoo applied incorrectly - in both cases the idiot owners barely wet the dog then poured the shampoo on undiluted and massaged it in roughly without further wetting it and didn't rinse the poor dog properly to boot - that is when the ph difference comes into play as dog skin is much thinner than human skin. I have heard of other instances also.

So although I suspect that human shampoo is okay if used with care and diligently rinsed out, nevertheless, people being people, :laugh: I will always recommend using a dog shampoo simply because it is very difficult for even the most careless idiot to burn their pet's skin when using dog shampoo.

This is NOT an attack on those who successfully use human shampoo - you are obviously doing it in a risk free fashion. Just, please, don't assume that everybody you might recommend it too is also going to use correct methods when bathing.

I show afghans. Personally I disagree with using human products on dogs. Most human products are silicone based which is terrible long term for dogs. I believe that you may get a good result using human stuff but if you try premium dog products, you will get even better results. And most certainly will have better results long term. Sorry guys, but i see no logical reason to use humans products on dogs. I don't wash my hair in dog shampoo so why would i do the reverse?

Thanks qashmir, i am using plush puppy ATM and it seem pretty good. Any other suggestions you might have for a Full coated tzu's.

Hi, I am aware you should not blow dry and only us a comb no brushes. ??? Also with clipping, any do's or don't's ?? What shampoo do you use? Have you found any that really do not suit?

She used to be a show dog and the breeder kept her in show clip year round but now she is a pet we like to keep her clipped short since it's easier for us to manage. The usual routine is- brush/comb her out, shampoo with Fido's Oatmeal & Baking soda shampoo, blow dry, clip and a final spritz of water.

We keep her body short, legs fuller and her face and tail neatly trimmed

2336350514_f1d7449105.jpg

I actually now people who wash there hair in plush puppy products so people do use dog stuff.

Not all human stuff contains silicone & i have never known any person to burn there dog using human stuff so i would be very curious as to what they actually used as there is no way to apply incorrectly whether dog or human .If there idiots i imagine maybe there is more too it .

Also look at it this way its only been in the last few years that all these dog products have appeared many moons ago it was the human stuff.Not all the dog stuff has ingred on it & some are so harsh i wouldnt apply it to any of my dogs .

I could list more people that use human stuff worldwide than dog stuff.

unless you are testing the ph of your water it isn't going to make much difference

What's the ph of the water got to do with it? Why bother advertising the ph of any product, human or animal, if the water affects the ph level of it? What if you apply the product directly to the dog? (Just interested to know.)

As soon as you dilute the shampoo with water whether that be prior to application or just with wetting the dog down first, the ph is going to change. Think about it....you mix 20 mls of shampoo at a ph of 5 with 500mls of water at a ph of 7, it aint going to stay a ph of 5 now is it. The ph of water is different everywhere, so unless you are testing your water you dont really know what the ph of the shampoo you are putting on your dog is.