Hyperthyroidism - Confirmed Tumour :(

Does anyone elses dogs have this?? I have just found out Jorja has it. Vet thinks she may have thyroid cancer which is causing it. We have more tests tomorrow.

Edited by isiss

A friends dog has it, & is on Thyroxin for it.

Dr Jean Dodds is speaking at various venues around Australia this month, one of the topics she speaks on is this issue, Annual Vaccinations cause thyroid problems... They cause it as they should not be given yearly :D

I also know someone who is treating their dog for Thyroid cancer through a Homeopathic Vet, they have detoxed the dog , changed her diet, NEVER vaccinate her again, & she is on daily herbs from the Holistic Vet, her tumour has shrunk, she is jumping out of her skin & has never been better etc......she was given approx 3 months to live by her regular GP Vet, but they have proved him wrong!!!

A friends dog has it, & is on Thyroxin for it.

Dr Jean Dodds is speaking at various venues around Australia this month, one of the topics she speaks on is this issue, Annual Vaccinations cause thyroid problems... They cause it as they should not be given yearly :D

I also know someone who is treating their dog for Thyroid cancer through a Homeopathic Vet, they have detoxed the dog , changed her diet, NEVER vaccinate her again, & she is on daily herbs from the Holistic Vet, her tumour has shrunk, she is jumping out of her skin & has never been better etc......she was given approx 3 months to live by her regular GP Vet, but they have proved him wrong!!!

Thanks - any details of the homeopathic Vet???

Good luck!!

I actually have hyperthyroidism cause by Grave's disease and autoimmune disease. I'm getting my thyroid taken out at the end of the month. Hopefully cancer's not the cause in your dog. I was on tablets to control the thyroid but had a bad allergic reaction.

My doggy is having an op tomorrow to have a lump removed too. *fingers crossed* for us. :)

that is good news........

I personally would have it removed, by a competant Vet, and then have follow up treatment & healing by Homeopathic Vets, so that my dog is detoxed completely,of all crap including processed foods , vaccines & lives natural healthy life from here on.......

But thats just me.

Hello,

Hyperthyroidism can be treated but blood tests need to be done on a regular basis because it can affect the Kindneys as well

I have a cat with Hyperthyroidism and she is on Neo-Mercazole for this condition.

Please note:

There is a difference between Hypo and Hyperthyrodism.

Hyperthyroidism:

is the term for overactive tissue within the thyroid gland, resulting in overproduction and thus an excess of circulating free thyroid hormones: thyroxine (T4), triiodothyronine (T3), or both. The term is also often used more loosely to describe any syndrome of excess thyroid hormone (more properly termed hyperthyroxinemia), regardless of the source. Thyrotoxicosis is the term for symptomatic hyperthyroxinemia. Thyroid hormone is important at a cellular level, affecting nearly every type of tissue in the body. It functions as a stimulus to metabolism, and is critical to normal function of the cell. In excess it overstimulates, causing "speeding up" of various body systems, and thus symptoms: Fast heart beat results in palpitations, a fast nervous system in tremor and anxiety symptoms, a fast digestive system in weight loss and diarrhea. Lack of functioning thyroid tissue results in a symptomatic lack of thyroid hormone, termed hypothyroidism.

Hypothyroidism is a common problem in dogs, but rarely occurs in cats. The thyroid gland has a number of different functions, but it is most well known for its role in regulating metabolism. Hypothyroidism is the condition that occurs when not enough thyroid hormone is produced. Hypothyroidism causes a wide variety of symptoms, but is often suspected in dogs that have trouble with weight gain or obesity and suffer from hair loss and skin problems. Hypothyroidism is easy to diagnose with a blood test that checks the level of various thyroid hormones including T3 and T4. Most hypothyroid dogs respond readily to treatment with synthetic thyroid medication such as Soloxine. Many dogs suffer from a low thyroid hormone level for years without treatment. If your dog has chronic recurrent skin problems, she may be suffering from hypothyroidism

Wow Neo-mercazole is the same med I was on-till I had an allergic reaction. Now I am having my thyroid removed.

Isiss hopefully once they remove it your doggy will feel alot better and then should have to take a thyroxine replacement.

Hugs and pats to your pup xx

Thanks for the info Dackel - she definately has Hyperthyroidism. Major sign was the extreme weightloss in a very short period of time, plus more frequent urination which was resulting in accidents. I wasn't aware of the heart rate thing until we went to the vets. She has always been a shaker, just put it down to nerves or over excitement.

Vet went through the treatment procedure, and we have started the meds, and now we wait and operate when she is ready. We will beat this - she is a little trooper and has a lot of love behind her. I have no doubt she will live a full and happy life once we have gotten over this.

Cavandra - she is pretty much crap free already, all home made food here, with no preservatives etc.

Eza - Thanks hun :)