New Puppy (coming In August)

poochmad

:) Ok. I'm starting to get ready for the pup (coming in August). I'm busy reading in the puppy section (trying to remember how to housetrain - as it's been many years), laying down rules with the OH (i.e. no feeding the pup when we're eating, no allowing him to jump up on the couch without being asked, no allowing him to sleep on the bed, without being asked, etc), purchasing training books, deciding what to feed him, researching, researching, researching! :)

So far my list of things to buy are:

1. Collar and lead (will research here the best type).

2. Car harness.

3. Crate.

4. Dog bowl (although need one that is designed for dogs with floppy ears).

5. Shampoo (researching here best type).

6. Non-slip mat for the bath.

7. Comfy dog bed (for when he's inside with us) - although this might be pointless, as I'm sure the OH will have him on the couch.

8. Kongs.

9. Boredom busters - the cube/ball things that are filled with treats.

10. Clam shells - for sand - to 'bury' treats/toys and later fill other side with water (when he's older and it's not winter).

11. Winter coat.

12. Slicker brush and comb.

13. Toys. Squeaky toys (to have only when supervised), soft toys for supervision, ball on the rope, rope thingy.

Except for snacks, anything else??? I'm putting aside $1000 for the above (as well as his 2 x vaccinations - to 16 weeks, worming and heartguard). Do you think this is enough mulla to cover the above, or am I kidding myself and I need a lot more money?? (The OH in the meantime is having heart palpitations at the ever growing list - although to be honest...he only knows a little at the moment. ;))

Oh good - thanks for your response. :)

It's exciting getting a new pup, but scary too. I didn't list the breed as I had mentioned it in a previous thread. I'm getting a Field Spaniel. And no, the figure doesn't include the purchase price of the pup.

Oh good - thanks for your response. :laugh:

It's exciting getting a new pup, but scary too. I didn't list the breed as I had mentioned it in a previous thread. I'm getting a Field Spaniel. And no, the figure doesn't include the purchase price of the pup.

:):) ;) I am such an idiot! I knew you were getting a FS, I remember replying in your other thread! LOL sorry for the memory lapse :eek:

- Some bedding for his crate - I buy lengths of fleece from a fabric shop.

- An ID tag for phone number

- Enrollment in puppy school

Some other things I've got:

A treat bag

Treats for training

A clicker

Plastic toilet bags

Nail clippers

A softer brush than a slicker

Plastic sheeting for the floor of his pen (instead of paper, which he just tore up).

Lots of books and DVDs

Congrats and good luck...

Oh good - thanks for your response. :laugh:

:):) ;) I am such an idiot! I knew you were getting a FS, I remember replying in your other thread! LOL sorry for the memory lapse :laugh:

You're forgiven, considering the amount of people posting on here! :eek:

I have to say, I love your two beautiful pooches...I once looked at getting a Bernese...but decided they were a tad too big... :laugh:

A puppy playpen is a god send when you can't keep an eye on your puppy. You can also attach it to the crate so puppy has a play area but can also go in to crate for a sleep. Love to see a photo when you get your new baby. It's such fun getting organised for a new puppy. :confused:

OMG,I am sorry I looked at this. I never realised how much I actually spend & have spent.

How about you dont let OH know what you need & just slip a few items in every time you go shopping. Some things from the cheap variety stores can be just as good as shopping from pet stores & online shopping at places like www.dealsdirect.com.au have some great buys.

Enjoy your puppy when he arrives & delete that nasty list of expenses right now.

OMG,I am sorry I looked at this. I never realised how much I actually spend & have spent.

How about you dont let OH know what you need & just slip a few items in every time you go shopping. Some things from the cheap variety stores can be just as good as shopping from pet stores & online shopping at places like www.dealsdirect.com.au have some great buys.

Enjoy your puppy when he arrives & delete that nasty list of expenses right now.

It's ok. We're going 'shopping' this weekend to make a list of what we need and I'm sure he will find out then what I'm planning to buy. In fact...he has already begun talking about what we should get...so that's a good sign! :)

I'll check out dealsdirect - thanks for the tip...but I 'spose I'd better put away the credit card! :D

A puppy playpen is a god send when you can't keep an eye on your puppy. You can also attach it to the crate so puppy has a play area but can also go in to crate for a sleep. Love to see a photo when you get your new baby. It's such fun getting organised for a new puppy. :)

Yep, have already decided on that idea - it's a very good one. :D

Oh. And as soon as I have him home, there will be many, many photos!

A puppy playpen is a god send when you can't keep an eye on your puppy. You can also attach it to the crate so puppy has a play area but can also go in to crate for a sleep. Love to see a photo when you get your new baby. It's such fun getting organised for a new puppy. :)

Yep, have already decided on that idea - it's a very good one. :D

Oh. And as soon as I have him home, there will be many, many photos!

Instead of buying a super expensive puppy pen, you can try Bunnings... They have these wire refuse cage (compost isle) things that can be joined together to make a puppy pen! Someone on here posted about it and it is a great idea. They're only $20 each!! We attached Jedi's crate to it by using the clips that they have on the end of the lead (don't know what they're called).

Here's a photo of the pen behind him... Best photo I could find.

jedi104rv2.th.jpg

Hi Christina. I checked out the dealsdirect website...and it's very, very good. (Oh dear.) Today the other half and I went to 'Pet Barn' to check out all the items that are 'needed' and he didn't even bat an eyelid as I went from one thing to another...in fact, he got quite involved and was looking at things that weren't even on the list! I'm beginning to think our new pooch might end up being one spoilt puppy! :(

Congrats on your new puppy (to come lol).

Just to add to the list also

Flea and tick prevention

Heartworm medication

Puppy wormer

Good ear cleaner (those floppy ears can get yucky)

I would also add

Breakaway collar , to be used as everyday collar as puppies are more prone to get collars caught on things and strangle themselves, (normal collar for walking)

Puppy pads for training

Old blankets/towels for crate etc

I bet you are getting excited. :thumbsup:

Instead of buying a super expensive puppy pen, you can try Bunnings... They have these wire refuse cage (compost isle) things that can be joined together to make a puppy pen! Someone on here posted about it and it is a great idea. They're only $20 each!! We attached Jedi's crate to it by using the clips that they have on the end of the lead (don't know what they're called).

This is such a great idea, I've been pricing puppy pen prices on Ebay and at Petbarn, then when we were at Bunnings on Saturday I remembered about this - sure enough in the outdoor area they had lots of these compost cages.... we picked up two for substantially less than the cost of the cheapest pen I could find....

Thanks for this suggestion, we may even go back for a 3rd once we get it all set up :thumbsup:

Flea and tick prevention

Heartworm medication

Puppy wormer

I would also add

Breakaway collar , to be used as everyday collar as puppies are more prone to get collars caught on things and strangle themselves, (normal collar for walking)

Puppy pads for training

I bet you are getting excited. :confused:

I didn't put the 'usual' items on the list, such as puppy wormer, heartguard, etc as for me they are a 'given'. However, what do you mean by 'ear cleaner'? What product would you recommend?

Also, what does a breakaway collar look like? Are they the ones that are 'clicked' together (don't know how else to explain it).

Regarding the puppy pads, I've decided not to use those, as I think they will just confuse the house training. I am looking at providing him with a puppy tray in his pen, like Dr Ian Dunbar recommends. This will be canturf and will get him used to going on grass. Later when he's older (3-4 months) I will move this tray out to the back yard so he is used to the scent and then it will just be left there. (This will be used in conjuction with a dog door - once he is used to going outside and using that particular spot.)

And, yes, I am getting very excited. In 3 week's time we are planning to have a look at the pups (there are only 2) and they will be approximately 5 weeks old. The next time we go back...will be to bring him home. Can't wait! :)

Flea and tick prevention

Heartworm medication

Puppy wormer

I would also add

Puppy pads for training

I bet you are getting excited. :p

I didn't put the 'usual' items on the list, such as puppy wormer, heartguard, etc as for me they are a 'given'. However, what do you mean by 'ear cleaner'? What product would you recommend?

Also, what does a breakaway collar look like? Are they the ones that are 'clicked' together (don't know how else to explain it).

Regarding the puppy pads, I've decided not to use those, as I think they will just confuse the house training. I am looking at providing him with a puppy tray in his pen, like Dr Ian Dunbar recommends. This will be canturf and will get him used to going on grass. Later when he's older (3-4 months) I will move this tray out to the back yard so he is used to the scent and then it will just be left there. (This will be used in conjuction with a dog door - once he is used to going outside and using that particular spot.)

And, yes, I am getting very excited. In 3 week's time we are planning to have a look at the pups (there are only 2) and they will be approximately 5 weeks old. The next time we go back...will be to bring him home. Can't wait! :cool:

No worries Poochmad, I figured you probably knew all about the wormers and things.

The breakaway collar is great and most of all, its safe.

A few members on here have unfortunately found their dogs strangled by their own collars when they were caught on something. :(

The breakaway collars will snap if put in such a situation, so are very very safe.

Link here: http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=KSC

Any good gentle ear cleaner, Fido's, Epi-Otic, Aristopet, Herbal, etc, and its done weekly/fortnightly on your dog as a preventative for ear infections, in long eared dogs, as they tend to be prone to them.

I just got some Herbal Ear Cleaner for my dogs ears, its very gentle and contains Aloe Vera Juice and Tee Tree oil, should have seen the gunk that came out....yuck.

Edited by Cazablanca

The breakaway collar is great and most of all, its safe.

A few members on here have unfortunately found their dogs strangled by their own collars when they were caught on something. :p

The breakaway collars will snap if put in such a situation, so are very very safe.

Link here: http://www.naturalpetstore.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=KSC

Any good gentle ear cleaner, Fido's, Epi-Otic, Aristopet, Herbal, etc, and its done weekly/fortnightly on your dog as a preventative for ear infections, in long eared dogs, as they tend to be prone to them.

I just got some Herbal Ear Cleaner for my dogs ears, its very gentle and contains Aloe Vera Juice and Tee Tree oil, should have seen the gunk that came out....yuck.

Thanks for the info. Can you get these breakaway collars at pet shops? Or at vets? Or only online?

Eww! Thanks for the image of the ear stuff. :cool: