Lenses For Travel Photography

Ripley

We are going to Scotland in September and I want to travel as light as I can as a lot of my suitcase will be taken up with hiking boots and warm weather clothing.

I'm wondering what lenses and camera(s) we should take. OH has an Olympus DSLR he uses through work so he can take that. I have (well it's both of ours) a Canon 30D so definitely taking that. But I think I should also take my Panasonic compact for those times I don't want to lug a heavy camera around with me, such as on long hikes. But then I miss out on taking good photos with a longer lens if I stumble across some magnificent site. Will take 2 memory cards and OH is taking his laptop to download the photos each night and back them up on a CD. We are driving around and staying in hotels so the gear should be safe when we are out. Scotland is a pretty safe place.

We have a Lowerpro camera backpack so in it I am thinking of taking:

Canon 30D

Sigma 17-70 for landscapes

Canon 70-200mm L with 1.4 teleconverter (also a Canon L series) which put that lens then to a 280mm lens. The 70-200mm is not the IS one as I couldn't afford that. It's also the f/4 version.

Should I leave the 50mm 1.8 I have at home? Maybe I'll just keep that lens affixed to the camera body permanently.

I don't have a macro lens and it would be nice to have a longer telephoto but can't afford to buy anything else now we are committed to this trip.

Also, I need to buy a tripod. I was thinking of buying one over there and shipping it home at the end of the trip due to baggage constrictions.

Or should I just buy a monopod? Argh, decisions decisions.

Basically photos will consist of cities, towns, lots and lots of landscapes and if I'm lucky, some wildlife who get close enough.

I also haven't tried out the teleconverter on the 70-200mm yet as to be honest, I only like taking photos when I'm out at pretty places. I have screwed it in to the 70-200m gone, "Ok that's how it works" and it's now back in its box.

Edited by Ripley

On your list, I agree with Tess on the lenses. And I would definitely take the compact camera along too. Even with the extra charger it isn't that much extra and there are times on holiday that you're just going to want something that slips in a pocket/purse for some snaps, I reckon.

If you had the extra cash, I'd be adding a wide lens to the line up for your buildings and scenics etc. The Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20 will never be left at home again, for me!

Tripods are a pain. I'm currently trying to figure out which of the approximately 1, 212,344,565,767 combinations gives me what I need LOL I must say I'm a bit of a slacker when it comes to using them while on holidays and usually just carry a bean bag to rest the lens on whatever is handy. Or bump my ISO up to get a faster shutter :) I just hate futzing with one.

Do you have trouble hand holding your long lens? A mono pod might be a good, light, double-duty choice...get one that can also be used as a walking stick for when you are hiking the highlands.

Thanks guys. I'd love a sigma 10-20, kja but those airfares costs a bomb and this little black duck is now broke.

I'll buy a monopod, was thinking of that. I'll need a tripod for night shots so I'll pick one up in Edinburgh. There is a well known camera store in the UK called Jessops and they have a store there. Good exchange rate to the pound now too.

I'm taking the 70-200mm out on Sunday so I'll see how it handles being hand held. I don't have the steadiest of hands, maybe I can lean against OH to take a shot. OH and I joke that we don't ever want to become those hikers who use a pole, seems we just might on this trip! I'll make sure I have the shutter speed high enough, it's a heavy lens.

My little compact is great. It's a Panasonic with a Leica lens and the photos from it are pretty good, it has exposure compensation too.

I reckon you should just get out there and practice hand holding that lens.

The more you use something the better your technique gets - I reckon.

Your monopod might end up a paperweight like mine

(and believe me these days I don't buy things unless I am convinced

I will use them on a regular basis, twice a year isnt good enough for me).

Feel free to ignore my comments :)

OH is convinced we need a monopod as the teacher in this 2 day intro course I packed him off to told him. I had to stop him from going out and buying one until we had 'discussed' it further.

I'm pretty convinced now to buy a tripod in Edinburgh, they have several camera stores there. Baggage restrictions into Heathrow are a nightmare due to security and weight limits.

Will practise the hand holding this weekend but I tell you, I'm pretty bad!

Guest Tess32

Just make sure lugging around a tripod doesn't make you go "man, can't be bothered", as that is what happened to me.

You will only really need one if you are going to do dusk or dawn shoots or waterfalls.

Just make sure lugging around a tripod doesn't make you go "man, can't be bothered", as that is what happened to me.

This is exactly why I haven't taken the plunge to buy one (or a monopod) yet...I just know that's what will happen LOL DH used to have one that I've used in the past, but it got used for a non-recommended function one day and got tossed in the bin :noidea:

And it's more likely, I think, that you'll be doing sunset/sunrise stuff with the wider lens, same with waterfalls and the like. It's much lighter and easier to hand hold at lower shutter speeds.

You can also improvise with a rolled up bit of clothing if you have something to rest it on...it's why I mentioned a bean bag earlier. It's amazing how much support something so small and easy can give.

Oh, and maybe check out the Gorillapods. They are pretty tiny and light. They make them for heavy rigs, too. I just had a friend use this in Wyoming and he said he couldn't believe that it actually worked with his Canon 100-400 on a 40D...that's a lot of weight.

Edited by kja

What about hand holding a long lens in bad light? Forget taking a shot? Might just pack the compact too on a long hike - it has IS on it.

I climbed Bald Rock up around Tenterfield with a tripod and that was a pain in the proverbial so I know what you mean. Then up the top it was so windy it wasn't much use as it was so flimsy, hence why I need to buy a new one. The one we have won't support the weight of a 30D alone and it's OH's father's tripod from the 80s. :noidea: An old Hanimex!

Agree. I took a sunset shot when I ran from the car to grab it and had to bump up the ISO so there is noise in the shot, unfortunately.

You can also improvise with a rolled up bit of clothing if you have something to rest it on...it's why I mentioned a bean bag earlier. It's amazing how much support something so small and easy can give.
I have a heat pack full of wheat that I've used once by propping it on a lookout fence. :noidea:

A monopod is a must if its a very heavy lens - ie holding steady isnt the entire problem but actually being able to hold the camera and lens up. I have the 100-400mm lens at events and I need the monopod to simply hold it up most of the time. However using a monopod does take a bit of practice and it does limit some of your movement if you are panning after something.

A monopod is a must if its a very heavy lens - ...

I agree with this - I am pretty much welded to the monopod, don't leave home without it. And not just for heavy lenses, any lens. Prefer a tripod for like Nat said, longer exposure, but agree with kja, they are a pain to always be fussing with.

Would love Chezzyr's steady hands but I aint got em, so love my monopod. Not just for the actual shooting, it's good to have something to take the weight of the camera especially if you have another camera or camera bag on your shoulder and are carrying the lot all day. And yes wheat bags or such work well, but if you are going to carry one around, might as well carry the monopod instead.

I'd probably leave the 50 1.8 home too: then I'd kick myself every time I wanted a nice street scene or people-shot in low light. There seems to be a move back to using the standard 50 prime lens more, people find it challenging to have to work harder at good composition and make their feet do the zooming, seen some very nice results lately. Anyway, I'm putting in an order for an absolutely smashing shot of Greyfriar's Bobby please, because I missed out getting one and can't afford to go back. Oh and if you are in Scotland for the Bridge of Allan Highland Games there are great subjects there to work with.

Edi to add: Bridge of Allan is near Stirling, Stirling Castle also a good visit, lots of incredible silver, not sure about photography permission.

Edited by PossumCorner

PossumCorner, I'll even go in and have a drink for you. We only had one day in Edinburgh last time so I saw Greyfriars' Bobby from the top of a double decker bus for about 5 seconds only. Pretty pub though with Bobby monument out the front. That's what I love about the UK - the pubs! Or do you mean the gravesite where he went to lay down next to his master?

Hopefully I can get a nice shot of the city on sunset after I've hiked up Arthur's Seat (tripod over shoulder). I think I'm going to be stuffed after this trip.

I subscribe to 2 UK photo mags as they feature travel and wildlife and I love the photos. One is Outdoor Photographer, the other is Digital Photographer - this one did a feature on the 50mm 1.8 lens that I have and they took it around London. She got some great shots from market stalls, to people, to the inside of Paddington station but you are right, the 'tester' said she did have to work hard to find a good composition.

Edited by Ripley

Ripley, what kind of Lowepro bag have you got? Do you have to pack all the gear, including the Olympus

in the one bag? What lens/es will be used with the Olympus?

Edited by chezzyr

Not sure what model. It fits a DSLR and my lenses 70-200, 17-70, 50 and 1.4 teleconverter plus filters plus cables plus battery and manual in it though. It's a average size backpack. Also has straps on the front you can even attach a mini tripod or water bottle into.

• 2 months later...

OK, I'm packing tomorrow and have decided on taking all this gear. We are going to some very scenic locations. Scotland, Lakes District, Yorkshire Dales and London and surrounds.

30D; sigma 17-70, Canon 70-200 + 1.4 telecoverter, 1.8 lens (it's so small and it's plastic so why not).

Filters: 1 x graduated ND filter and holder for it, 0.6 ND grad screw on (just so I can blur water if necessary), polariser.

Cable release

Lightweight tripod - it's a Manfrotto but not designed for DSLRs and yet it holds up to 3 kilos. I've tried it out with my gear and it's fine with even the longest lens. It has its own bag so it can go in the cargo hold.

PLUS! I bougth a Canon film camera off ebay for the bargain price of $65. It's a 3000N I think. Has settings just like the 30D. Want to try out some film shots too.

They all fit in my camera backpack, can't believe it. :laugh:

ETA: All my lenses fit the film camera too!

Edited by Ripley

Ripley, what kind of Lowepro bag have you got? Do you have to pack all the gear, including the Olympus

in the one bag? What lens/es will be used with the Olympus?

It's the Nature Trekker, chezzyr. This one.

OH is not taking his Olympus. I am taking my little compact though. The Panasonic with Leica lens - fits in my handbag. OH has made it clear that if I want to hike with a tripod, I'm the one who has to carry it. :laugh: I think I'll leave him at some art galleries in Edinburgh and go off on foot myself. That could work. He is not interested one bit in taking photos. Funny that last trip it was me who wasn't interested and he took all the shots and carried the camera everywhere.

post-485-1220577530_thumb.jpg