How To Put On A Bit More Weight

Aly

Hi,

I have had Aly off all kibble as Im sure that was what was causing her alergies itchy skin and hair loss. Ive had her on BARF patties Roo as I find the others make her fart real bad :mad ,she gets chicken necks occasionly and bones plus sardines. Oh plus she is now off Macrolene tablets :) they made her very hungry and thirsty,,,,what Im getting at is that I think Aly is getting too thin. How do I put a bit more weight on her?.

Belinda

Personally i would add more food - especially things like eggs, oily fish and even some olive oil (they make Zero put on weight like crazy) - and see how much your dog will eat safely (watch for bloat though!). I would do it gradually though so as not to cause an upset tummy and you can monitor the weight gain.

Yep, oily fish is the way to go, i get some of those home brand mackeral in natural oil, cheap as and he loves it, sardines and tuna are the go as well. i usually mix it in with his kibble, but you could do it with a bit of rice as well. he hasnt put on any fat and is looking real conditioned, it took about 3 months to start seeing the results.

What about some full fat natural yoghurt?

What is ment by occasionally?

Puggy-puggy.... occasionally is once a month I buy a bag from woolies and feed her some of them.I find she does heaps farts if give her too many different meats. The roo mix in the Barf patties are kind to her system and our noses in the house hold. Im reluctent to start her on kibble again and she gets itcy skin from them. well thats what the vet and I have put it down too.

Belinda

Hi Belinda, not all kibble is the same, I use Advance for active dog it is 20 percent fat and 30 percent protein I also use left over rice and pasta and I also cook my own pasta and rice and vegetables to add to their meals and if you can get your hands on some tripe it also is a great weight putter on. Hope this is useful.

• 3 weeks later...
ive found lamb flaps will help with gaining weight

horse meat is good too from what i have heard

if you give eggs boil some water then crack the egg in the hot water, raw eggs cause biotin deficiency

Yes lamb flaps are good, but horse meat is very low in fat and is unlikely to help with weight gain, it may also cause diarrhoea is some dogs. Satin balls put weight on most dogs, if you do a search of the forum you will find some info about them.

Feeding your dog a couple of raw eggs a week will not cause a biotin deficiency, there is more than enough biotin in the yolk to counteract the effect of the avidin in the white.