Pill Or Capsule Sizes For Small Dogs?

Hi there, I have a miniature poodle who suffers from irritable bowel. I have tried giving him Protexin (probiotics) and Psyllium husks (Metamucil) sprinkled on his food but he refuses to eat it after doing so. I have resorted to dissolving the protexin in water and syringing it into his mouth which is a hassle but it gets results. I'm now considering purchasing a self encapsulating machine some of which are made by Cap M Quick or Capsuline to combat the problem. The only dilemma I face now is knowing what size capsule he would be capable of having on a daily or twice daily basis. Note given the nature of the two supplements dosage amount is not that critical a little bit more or a little less isn't going to do him any harm the most important thing is that he gets it on a daily basis. I'm more after the actual physical size of the capsule he would be capable of having on a daily or twice daily basis rather than the actual amount. He weighs around 7.5kg and has been known to almost gulp down Smako treats whole. I wouldn't be looking at using anything over a size 0 capsule I'm more leaning towards the smaller size 1 or 2 variety. If there's anyone out there who has some knowledge on the matter that may be of some help please don't hesitate to reply.

P.S. I also recently got him some Paws and Claws fish oil by Nature Vet and they recommend 1 capsule per 10kg of body weight a day which I give to him by piercing it with a toothpick and letting him lick the drips of the end of the capsule as I squeeze it. I haven't tried to make him swallow one whole but I imagine it would be awfully hard for him as they are the exact same size as human fish oil capsules. Just thought I add this as it may help you understand my question a little better.

Edited by bingo

What metamucil are you using?

if it is flavoured- well- I can see why he won't eat it :cheer:

the actual psyllium husks ( from pharmacy/health food shop)can be mixed with food- no taste- and just a bit of texture.all our cats/dogs wuill happily eat them in food .

My cunning mini poodle (hates tablets) can easily eat any human sized capsule.

Easiest thing is to hide it inside some mince meat- give it, then follow up quickly with a couple of "normal" pieces of mince.

Also wait until he'll be hungry.

He's so eager to get more mince, he doesn't worry about spitting out the offending tablet.

Why not simply use liquid Protexin, it easily mixed in food and the animals do not seem to notice it.

Thanks for the reply I have tried liquid protexin in his food but he doesn't like the taste I have also tried syringing it into his mouth which works but is inconvenient. Thanks for the try anyway.

What metamucil are you using?

if it is flavoured- well- I can see why he won't eat it :champagne:

the actual psyllium husks ( from pharmacy/health food shop)can be mixed with food- no taste- and just a bit of texture.all our cats/dogs wuill happily eat them in food .

I'm not actually using metamucil I only put that in there so people would know what I'm talking about. Like you suggest I am using the actual psyllium husks. He isn't really like most dogs who are food obsessed so notice's if I add anything to it very picky!! I think this is partly due his irritable bowel which ruins his appetite he's really careful about what he eats as I'm sure he doesn't like getting the runs.

Thank you for your imput.

Just wondering if anyone has any further information or experiences in relation to giving small dogs capsules, pills, tablets etc. that they'd like to share any input is appreciated.

When we give Zero tablets (admittedly he is quite a bit bigger than yours!) we get some liver, chop it into pieces, put the tablet in one piece and use his "catch" command for them.

We use 3 pieces, vary which one has the tablet in and he's never noticed it!

When we give Zero tablets (admittedly he is quite a bit bigger than yours!) we get some liver, chop it into pieces, put the tablet in one piece and use his "catch" command for them.

We use 3 pieces, vary which one has the tablet in and he's never noticed it!

Yeah it's a good idea and he really likes pan fried liver but i imagine being a smaller breed of dog he would soon chomp into one and figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
In Vic we have a compounding pharmacy (google Compoundia) that do a range of medications for humans and animals, they carry all capsule sizes and can make flavoured compounds as well in flavours for dogs and cats.

Mel.

OK, do you know or recommend any particular size capsule for small dogs around 8kg

thanks

Hmmm I'm sorry I don't, they did send around a sample of the sizes but regretfully it is probably long gone by now. We have only really used them for making an intra-dermal thyroxine for cats who won't take pills. :rolleyes:

You could certainly email/phone them they are very helpful, they would be able to tell you what sort of sizes they dispense for littlies. Perhaps they can even do a liver or peanut butter paste for you?

Mel.

I have a Chihuahua that is on medication twice a day, I buy a packet of low fat cheese slices and just give him a wee bit with the pill in the middle works a treat.

My poodles like the taste of cod liver oil (eww yuck!) They love it on their food so maybe yours would too?? Wouldn't that be easier then trying to make your own tablets? I am not sure if that would help your poodle but it certainly keeps mine happy and regular :rolleyes: When giving capsules I just open the mouth and put it in the back of the throat and hold mouth closed until they swallow. Easy! A normal size human one goes down fine in a toy and my minis have no probs either.

Edited by JAG