My Puppy Likes To Go To The Toilet On My Furniture

tkmc

HELP!!!!

Our 8 month old Shitzu x Silky regularly treats our bed, the spare bed and the couches as her toilet. Yes both no#1's and no#2's. We are at our wits end. We take both our dogs outside to the toilet on a regular basis, and she goes pretty much every time and comes bounding back for a pat (and a smackos).

This has been going on for quite sometime now and I have been monitoring her behaviour and just can't figure it out. She will just out of the blue jump up onto the couch or run upstairs to the bedroom jump on the bed and squat. This is really the only time we have accidents in the house now as both dogs are pretty much completely trained. We usually find the nasty suprise later on , but I have caught her in the act a few times. When this happens I raise my voice and she runs off and hides under the stairs.

Our vet has mentioned something called a DAP Diffuser but I can't really find much information about this. We wash all linen, couch covers, etc with biozet (reccomended by our vet to get rid of the smell) clean all furniture with No Vac (also recomended by the vet) as well as Urine Off. It doesn't seem to make a difference except that I am sick of washing and we have had to buy extra bed sheets, quilts, blankets etc.

It is not just our house either, when she stays with my parents she will go to the toilet on my parents bed and on their upstairs carpet ( we don't have any carpet at our house) and she can go outside anytime she likes there.

Does anyone have any suggestions????

Thanks Trev and Kiri

Keep the dog out of the bedroom and out of the room where the couch is, keep the doors closed or use baby gates. Same at your parents' house, don't allow your dog upstairs, block the staircase off. What she is doing sounds like marking to me and the fact that she's marking your scent means that she thinks she's boss of the household. You need to improve your leadership skills and she needs to know that she's below you in the pack order. You could start with the NILIF program and try searching 'leadership' on these forums. IMO the diffuser would be a waste of money, your dog needs training and she needs to learn that you're in charge not her.

yep- my suggestion would be to NOT give her the run of the house/s until she has proved reliable!!

Use baby gates, or keep doors closed to all rooms except kitchen or whatever. Have her on leash WITH YOU when you are watching TV , for example- so she cannot just run off.

She needs to have the boundaries set, and good habits TAUGHT to her now, the little monkey :rofl:

Raising your voice to her is obviously making her fearful, but not training her :laugh:

When you DO catch her in the act...do not speak!! just quietly and calmly pick her up and put her outside. If she does wee or poo then lavish her with praise IMMEDIATELY.

( I think part of the problem is that, from your post, you reward her when she comes back to you after toileting..NOT immediately she starts to toilet!! She needs to associate the actual peeing or pooing with reward...not coming back to the house afterwards ( tho that is a good thing :eek: )

There are lots of toilet training threads on here if you use the 'search' option-- good luck. :rofl:

My 1 year old Lhasa has been peeing on my bed too. I thought she had grown out of it!! She can wee on command, we do the TOT every night, training etc. Do I need to start crating her at night. She doesn't actually wee on the bed when we are sleeping though just sneaks in to the room, does a wee on the bed and then has a sleep! I can't fathom the behaviour. She did it at my mum's too. Only ever beds...

If the dog is inside it is in a crate or on a ead attached to you so you know where it is a all times and what it is doing.

No way would my dog have more than one chance at that.

Have you got a crate?

Because that could help.

Also keep the dog out of the bedrooms, upstairs etc.

If you can use baby gates so the dog has a tiled/lino area that if she has an accident it is easily cleaned up.

Although this sounds behavioural.

Edited by i haz flava!

Just another thought.

Has she ever been reliably trained?

Has she only started doing this or has she always done this since you got her?

If it is the former, maybe get her checked by the vet for any urinary issues then start crating/leading her when she is inside and only giving her access to wee/poo proof areas.

If it is the latter then maybe retrain her as she wasn't in the first place.