Cut Paw Pad

just got back from walking my wei, and he must have cut his rear pad on something out running around. its dripping blood, not pouring, but still dripping.

should i take him to vet? or will it stop of its own accord, do they stitch pads?

its a straight line across the pad, must have run over something sharp. :(

We've had more than a few of them. I think we went to the vets once for a particularly deep one. They didn't stitch it. Just cleaned it, put Neocort cream on it and bandaged it. Maybe ring the vet and ask what they suggest?

A bit of trivia. The guy at Kodak* who invented superglue in 1942 eventually developed it for use in the Vietnam War to seal soldier's cuts and wounds in the rain and jungle mud as it not only holds the skin even when wet or being knocked around, it also stops the bleeding.

Basically you just hold the two sides of the cut together and put a dab of it on and it stays glued together even under duress, and the wound will heal fine being clean and exposed to air, which is a disadvantage of bandaging. You can also align the two edges better than a bandage to get a cleaner heal.

I wish I knew about this when my own Wei cut his pad once. It took ages to eventually heal as it kept opening up as he walked on it.

NB. This website says the superglue you can buy in the shops uses methyl-2 which may irritate some skin but not others so it's never been approved for medical use, so you can try using it but there are also non-methyl medical versions called Band Aid Liquid Bandage, a brand used by vets called Nexaband, and another version dentists use called Soothe-n-Seal.

* He was actually trying to invent clear plastic to use for lenses, but ended up with a liquid that stuck to everything and wouldn't let go.

A bit of trivia. The guy at Kodak* who invented superglue in 1942 eventually developed it for use in the Vietnam War to seal soldier's cuts and wounds in the rain and jungle mud as it not only holds the skin even when wet or being knocked around, it also stops the bleeding.

Basically you just hold the two sides of the cut together and put a dab of it on and it stays glued together even under duress, and the wound will heal fine being clean and exposed to air, which is a disadvantage of bandaging. You can also align the two edges better than a bandage to get a cleaner heal.

You just beat me to the Superglue suggestion :rolleyes: Haven't tried it, but it has been mentioned on my Bull Terrier List.

My GSD cut her pad open on her smashed ceramic bowl.. She left bloody pawprints everywhere and was limping for a week or so..

I had the vet check it out but thank god it wasnt deep enough to need stitches.... Just pain killers for a day or two and she was good as gold.

We did put her pad in diluted dettol....