What Slr Camera To Buy?

Bailey9

Hi, a friend of mine was asking me what camera they should buy.... I have no idea about SLR cameras so thought I'd post on here!

They are after a Digital SLR. Think they were hoping to spend around $500, but from what I've seen around I think they may have to stretch their budget a few extra $$. So perhaps give me info on up to $800ish

Any recommendations??

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=117416

this may be of help :)

I don't have a DSLR.. not 'quite' ready yet.. but nearly!

I DO have one of these.. http://www.photoreview.com.au/Fujifilm/rev...ix-s8000fd.aspx

which has a lot of the features of a DSLR..but not quite the quality.

you can see what it does here : www.redbubble/people/binjy/art

wow persephone.... those pics are great. Wish I could take photos like that. Perhaps I will have to save too.... hmm, but I'm sure I'll need some lessons too, not sure a good camera will take such good pics on its own!

I have recently bought a DSLR - I got a Nikon D80 with 135mm lens kit for just under $1600. I couldn't be happier with it. The service and advice I got from the salesperson was also fantastic. Am I allowed to say where I got it?

I'm a researchanatic and found this website very helpful http://www.dpreview.com/. There are excellent reviews and very helpful and informed people in the forums (bit like here, really :( ). From memory, it's a US based site but most of the cameras are available in Australia too.

There is a good market for 2nd hand cameras if a new one with the features your friend needs is out of the budget.

I am finding my new camera very addictive. Once you start, it's very easy to get carried away and keep shooting. Gotta love digital :)

I hope they can find what they're looking for.

Gorgeous pics persephone is the S8000fd similar to the S5800?

I had a S5700 before this one :(

here is the info on the S5800..

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_c...ions/index.html

and the S8000fd

http://www.photoreview.com.au/Fujifilm/rev...ix-s8000fd.aspx

they are similar.. but the s8000fd has a brilliant macro lens.. and more manual controls, plus a greater zoom length ( tho quality isn't 100% at full zoom :) )

The reason I asked (sorry for taking this OT!) is because I wanted a camera for my bday and chose the S5800 :( I get it next week and can't wait!

If it take pics half as good as yours then I shall be very happy :)

Hi, a friend of mine was asking me what camera they should buy.... I have no idea about SLR cameras so thought I'd post on here!

They are after a Digital SLR. Think they were hoping to spend around $500, but from what I've seen around I think they may have to stretch their budget a few extra $$. So perhaps give me info on up to $800ish

Any recommendations??

A bit over the budget you have mentioned but if I were SLR shopping right now I would be looking at the Canon 400. The 450 has just come out and i have seen the 400 on special for under 1000 with the twin lens kit.

I ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix DC-FX50. Has all the features you use on a DSLR except for the lenses. I LOVE it. Still learning how to use it other than on auto, but I am getting there!

They are after a Digital SLR. Think they were hoping to spend around $500

It's highly unlikely they'll get one for that price unless they're looking at a second hand discontinued earlier model such as the Canon 300D. They would need to double their budget to look seriously at something new.

In addition to what has been said & suggested, what do they want to do with their photography? DSLR bodies are only the beginning and then each lens for a different purpose is more cash. They are also big and bulky and need a little more care in post and/or setup than most compacts to get the maximum benefit from them.

There are a ton of excellent compact cameras with full manual controls (ISO, aperture, shutter) that are not only great value but easy, fun and as complex or simple as you'd like to use. They also are perfectly capable of really nice photos for printing and sharing.

Really depends on what your friend hopes to achieve, how much he/she wants to spend (all up), what size he/she is willing to lug around and what he/she is going to be taking photos of mostly.

With a little more info I think the great members here could help narrow some choices a little bit better.

..... but that dpreview.com is the place to go to find out

I am so "off" dpreview. Reviews are good, but there are also plenty of brand-bashers, trolls, know-alls and nasties. And yes some great helpful people, but you do have to sift everything not just accept it at face value, it's part of the culture there.

GayleK mentioned second-hand: I suppose always a risk. But there are Nikon D50s on ebay that are around $400 with "extras" and they are a fine camera which outclass some new cameras at 3-4 times the price.

There are good discounts around of the Canon 400 since it was superseded, worth doing some price comparisons there. Don't let them buy at a photography chain store til they compare prices at Photobuff and the like, or Hong Kong or New York while our dollar is strong.

People have mentioned the Nikon D40x, D60. Probably they are the best value new DSLR, they do only take a limited range of lenses for auto-focus but more than enough for most purposes (and no limit at all for manual focus) - more important they are very user-friendly.

It really depends what they want it for, but as a rule all the brands are good.

At their budget the Pentax K100D would be well worth a look. It's one of the cheapest on the market. It only has 6 megapixels, but that's actually more than enough for most users. Pentax has a huge range of lenses that go back a long way, so it's a good system to buy into. If they ever want to upgrade their more advanced cameras have a very attractive price point for the features.

Personally I recommend Olympus because their lens kits at that price range are probably the best on the market, and they tend to be more light-weight. The Olympus E-420 is the smallest on the market, and the E-410 can still be picked up for a good price.

Encourage your friends to look beyond Canon and Nikon - they have market dominance and are fine cameras (of the two, personally I'd pick Nikon at the moment), but all the manufacturers are winning awards and have pros and cons.

For E.G., the mid range Pentax (K-20D), Olympus (E-520 and E-3) and Sony (A-200) cameras have image stabilisation built into the camera body so it works on all your lenses, whereas other brands rely on expensive stabilised lenses to get the same effect. Not an issue at their price point yet, but you tend to buy into a system as lenses are where the real investment lies.

Digital Photography Blog has an outstanding roundup of reviews on most cameras.

I'm also currently researching cameras. My budget is under $1200, so i'm looking at the Canon EOS400D Twin lens kid, Olympus E510 and the Nikon D60. They all look like pretty decent cameras... it's all too hard LOL

anyone had experience with the above cameras? all this camera talk has really got me sucked in... Im starting to think i may have to get one for MY chrissy present!!!!

yes i got a D60 about a month ago. Friends have the 400d canons.

I was tossing up between these two.. ended up going with the nikon as a friend who is a professional got me a price i couldnt refuse.

apart from that they are all brilliant, you will be stoked with any of them.

oh the 200mm kit lense with the canon i thought was pretty average. But something to play with for a start