Gambit's Disastrous Novice Trialing Day

Gambit's efforts at the Broadmeadows Obedience Trail was worse than he's ever done.

I'm over the Obedience thing now, but the buggar isn't going to wear me down. He is going to get two passes in Novice which will give him his CD title even if I live to be 100.

Best of all was having someone come up to me and say, "Your Wendy aren't you?" "Yes", I said, "I'm Dogdude on Dogz on Line", he says. Yeah, I have met him and his lovely staffy and he looks exactly as I thought he would. Sadly I don't know how he went in the ring but I'm sure he'll let us know soon.

In the Open Ring next door Gambit's bestest friend, Mason, the golden retriever was doing his thing.

I left the start post with Gambit, full of happiness a fun, halted, forward, right turn, then Mark said "call your dog", I turned around and there was Gambit saying hello to Mason. Aghhhhhh so that was the end of the heeling part of the exercise. 30 for Stand for Exam, 29 for Recall, and 30 for Change of position.

Then the sits and stays which has Always, Always been Gambit's strongest exercise. Well the dog next door dropped in the sit stays, I'm sure Gambit was going to go and say hello to him then and there but he stopped himself and decided he'd drop also :love: .

Then the down stays where Gambit virtually goes to sleep decided he wanted to really say hello to the dog next door this time. :D Mark said "Go get your dog and bring him back here" which I did. The dog didn't move but talking to the fellow after he was worried that there was going to be a fight between them. Gambit's nature isn't to fight, his is to say hello and play.

It was interesting though, because when that dog had finished in the ring earlier on, Gambit turned and sniffed the air and wanted to follow the dog. I thought it was a bit strange and never thought anything more about it until the sit and down stays.

The joys of trialing

Gamby

Great meeting you too Gamby!

I would't take anything on face value from that trial other than the positives.

To describe the conditions as testing, would be an understatment!! Not only the wind......but the flying objects (chairs, stewards notes, and of course loose dogs doing zoomies into the rings etc), and to make matters worse, the rings set up all in a row downwind of each other, all copping the same flying objects. I also noticed a dog finding and eating food in a ring during the trial. Things were blowing about all over the place.

I was having a fantastic trial up until the last exercise. I had lost only 4 points up until the distance control, which Oscar found a new way to bom it!

I was still quite pleased though as we have managed to get his drive back, and he was really impressive up until the point of brainfade. He sat as I walked off and left him in a stand. No idea why?. Still, I feel a win just around the corner! :mad

I did see a couple of Dolers there. Well done to Superminty for the ring win in the other Open ring!!

Sorry to hear you weren't well Wagalot. take it easy, get plenty of rest and get well soon.

Are you entereing the GODC trial? I hope so, I'd love to see Cooper in the flesh. I haven't seen him for a couple of years.

Helen after yesterday's disaster Gambit is being entered in the four trials over the weekend. Maybe, just maybe, he will work it all out by the end of the fourth trail and get a pass.

I was only going to enter him once on each day, but the buggar is not getting away with it.

I had him so tuned into me on Sunday that I thought he should go well but the saying "You know what Thought thought" applied to me big time

Oh dear, poor Gambit.

I only did two obedience trials last year with the kids for a pass with Kiz and a 172NQ with Narmi, grr.

Good on you for having a go and hvaing the time to train. We'll see you out there next year once the little one is here!

That is a bummer about your day at Broadmeadows. I think you either had a good day or a bad day. The weather was just shocking. Lucky for me though my girl did well at we finished first in our CCD ring. Better luck next time though. Their was a lot of dog mucking up that day. :shrug:

About the dogs mucking up on the day, Your not wrong RachelleBuck Congratulations on your gaining a 1st place in the CCD Ring. It's a good feeling isn't it?

Hey DogDude, what a bummer. What a lovely staffy you have. I love staffies, but I could never have one as they are just too strong for me. Were you hanging out for a pass to gain a title?

Wasn't it good to be able to go into the club rooms after being out in the wind vertually all day or else sitting in the car, with the heater going.

Did any of us feel sorry for the Judges who had to stand out in that wind for many hours? Sad to say I didn't until after I had come home and was thinking about what happened at the trial.

Thanks Judges and Stewards