Desexing Of A Male Dog

Has something changed in how male dogs are desexed? Or maybe I am completely insane.

A few weeks ago my other half and I purchased an adult male Maltese cross from an RSPCA refuge. I did his post desex stiches removal and at the time noticed he still had what appeared to be a single testicle left behind. I just put it down to maybe some swelling. I checked again this morning (no I dont make it a habit of feeling up my dogs) and this has not gone down do I am assuming now that it is not swelling. I used to work for a refuge and I do not remember leaving bits inside at any time but then this was 8 years ago so things may have changed (but I have my doubts)

So my question is, has desexing changed or is my memory shot and I am an idiot? (Ok I may be an idiot anyways)

The essential mechanics of the surgery have not changed, taking 2 testicles is still standard practice :mad .

Is it possible that what you are feeling is swelling? It could be taking a longer time to reduce than you expect.

To put it bluntly, I feel for a 'ball' that I can move inside the scrotum rather than the size of the scrotum which can take months to shrink particularly if an animal was adult at the time of desexing.

I would be getting it checked by the shelter vets, either way it needs to be looked at.

And btw, not an idiot, we all get fooled sometimes, I have anyway.

Oh there is certainly 1 left behind. I expected him to have the excess skin still for quite some time but this little thing seems to more than just swelling.

I feel better now about giving the refuge a call.

OK just gave them a ring and we will be taking a trip back down at some point (lucky he likes the car since its about an hour drive) so they can give him a feel as well. She thinks something may be been done to it to prevent any "accidents"

After him just getting over KC (and giving it to our other dog) I dont like the idea of him having to have a second surgery so soon if he does need to have it removed.

It could be scar tissue, or fluid. Sometimes it does feel quite hard.

I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is what it is. Will be keeping a close eye on it because honestly we can not get him back to the refuge in the near future if need be we can take him to our vet.

Poor little poppet has already had a hard enough life I dont like the idea of him having another operation no matter how small (that is if it is still there)

instead of taking the 1 hour car trip, why not just pop into your local vet for a quick check? if there is one left in there they will be able to confirm it...

saves a drive.

My thoughts exactly :D Local vet can confirm if it is or not, then if it is, you can make the trip back when he's ready to have it removed.

I would be horrifed if he was left with one testicle still there! That would be extreme incompetence. He could have a haematoma, or blood collection. perhaps there is a little bleeder still leaking or it has coagulated and that is why it feels firm.

Can't wait to hear the outcome of this one :D

Gosh, please can we have an update as soon as you can confirm it. I know they leave the outer sack these days whereas some time ago they used to remove the pouch.

Swelling can be the size of a plum in some dogs.

It would be astonishing for a vet to only remove one, unless he is a freak and had 3, or one was undecended and somehow moved down after the operation, but you would expect a Vet to report any abnormalities.

The boy is going to see the vet tomorrow afternoon, well hopefully he will be if I can get him in to see him. Its been a month since his opp and feeling it again it does feel smaller than it was but still something more than just swelling. Will find out tomorrow for certain though.

Thanks everyone for your help. Its good to know I have not forgotten everything in the last 8 years.

Now I am self doubting myself and what I am feeling lol the actual sac seems fine no swelling at all its just that "lump" The other half is thinking I am a weirdo for even checking that.

Edited by Tully

Normally both testicles are removed. :cool:

We have had a few boys bleed in a particular way. The inner membrane of the scrotum where the testicle used to sit fills up with blood and feels exactly like a testicle.

Except for one small difference. If it really was a testicle, you would be able to feel the little tube connecting to it.

Unless you know exactly what dogs testicles are supposed to feel like, the vet should be consulted. They know about these things. Or you can just wait and see. If it is a testicle, it won't be going anywhere.

We sometimes ice the scrotum for a while after surgery to prevent the swelling from happenning.

Sometimes some of our vets will just choose scrotal ablation (cutting off the scrotum) if the testicles are really big, as it can be painful for the boys to be that swollen with blood.

I was getting back here.

The vet had a feel and first off thought it was one left behind as well but he has decided that it is just a bit of swelling but to keep an eye on him.

So I dont feel so stupid now when the vet also thought there was something that shouldnt be there.

Thanks for the help everyone.