Food Contents

Hi Everyone,

Just asking for everyone's help here please. My dog has been put on a diet that is low in protein. I have been able to find foods low in protein but seem to be higher in fat. Which she does not need at all. I was wondering if everyone could look at their dog food (dry) and tell me what the percenage of fat and protein to save me some leg work!!! :)

Thanks

Edited by RachelleBuck

You may want to look at either NATURAL BALANCE (protein 23%, fat 13%), or NUTRO CHOICE (protein 21%, fat 12%).

Probably other premium kibble out there, but the next lowest fat I'm aware of is Eagle Pack Holistic at 15% and the rest go up from there, 17%, 20%. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong. I think there may also be a specific Hill's Science Diet kibble for obese dogs containing low fat, but I'm not sure.

What is the reason for a low protein diet?

Studies are showing high protein/energy exacerbates anxiety, aggression etc in dogs already prone to those conditions.

Well if this be the case things are extremely grim that humans can have stuffed up the species so badly that a carnivore can no longer eat meat!!! :)

If you told me it was carbs causing too much energy & aggression, now that I would believe, every commercial product is full of rubbish like rice, cereal, corn, & dogs would rarely if ever eat this stuff in the wild, they arent meant too!

Studies are showing high protein/energy exacerbates anxiety, aggression etc in dogs already prone to those conditions.

Well if this be the case things are extremely grim that humans can have stuffed up the species so badly that a carnivore can no longer eat meat!!! :)

If you told me it was carbs causing too much energy & aggression, now that I would believe, every commercial product is full of rubbish like rice, cereal, corn, & dogs would rarely if ever eat this stuff in the wild, they arent meant too!

Dogs are ment to eat high protein diets. I don't get it.

Dogs are ment to eat high protein diets. I don't get it.

Sure, if you take the water out of fresh meat, then you have high protein (per weight) compared to dry foods. For example, standard mince meat is approximately 25% protein per weight. Different flesh parts of the animal (ie, cow) contain different levels of protein, varying from 20% to 35% approx. Prime lean rump I believe is the highest, but I could be mistaken.

In contrast, Orijen dry food is 42%.

So you would have to feed 68% more weight in fresh mince than Orijen for the same level of protein.

Standard premium dry foods are about 25% crude protein. The same % as fresh mince meat. Royal Canin Medium Junior is 32%, the high end of fresh meat. So fresh meat doesn't qualify as 'high protein' in any way when compared to processed foods. 'Equal' at best.

Weight for weight, if you classify fresh meat as a 'high protein' diet in the context of dog food, then processed food such as Orijen (42%) and Ziwipeak (60% ?) must be 'ultra double high protein'. But it's the processed food which is 'high protein' not the fresh meat.

So basically dogs are eating more protein through (overfeeding?) processed foods than they would in nature. Maybe... Some of them. Most of them? Hence the 'high protein' diet needing to be lowered.

Edited by anthony mazzeri

Maybe the OP just needs to change her dog onto a RAW or BARF diet.

Or run the dog 20 miles a day to burn off the energy! It's all relative anyway, as it all depends on the dog's lifestyle. A working sheepdog would need to eat a lot more protein than a couch potato dog.

Most dogs as house pets even with daily exercise wouldn't need/use as much protein as a wild/working dog/wolf so the excess just turns to nervous energy evidenced by anxiety or aggression etc. At least I think that's how the theory goes.

I too would like to hear the OP's answer. Sometimes dogs with kidney problems need to have less protein by quantity (but the same amount in quality).

BTW, the canid group of carnivores (inlcluding dogs) need less protein in their diet than the felid group (which includes cats).

Edited 'cos I'm having probs with new keybourd autosubmitting aaaargh! :)

Edited again for major typos.

Edited by Ruralpug

I was advised to feed my dog on Evo because she had a copraphagia problem. Apparently the ingredients are all absorbed so there is no "recycling" bits left to tempt her. Also there are no grains and ultra low carbs.

This food is 42% crude protein.

Now I am worried this will affect her kidneys.

I have changed her diet from fresh to tinned and now the Evo. It seems everyone has a negative opinion of which ever food is used. I know she enjoys the Evo and her faeces is much smaller than when she eats the other diets.

I am so confused!!!!!!!!!!!

Moggy.

Hi Ah Ngau,

Sophie is 12 months old and still eats her poo. Not all the time, but sometimes. We have tried everything. Picking it up as soon as we see it, adding pineapple, pumpkin and Thrive D to her food. We fed her for a while on a raw diet, cooked diet with rice and she still persists with the bad habit.

Talking a couple of weeks ago to a man who has handled dogs for years and says he has written articles on the subject, he said dogs eat their own poo because they are not getting a balanced diet. Thus he suggested Evo so we are giving it a try. We haven't seen her eating her poo but she still carries it to the back door mat (we watch our step carefully) and it is much smaller than previously.

We are lucky she will eat anything and it doesn't seem to affect her. I would love to return to the fresh diet, mince beef, chicken necks (cut up) egg and sardines, but at the moment we are on a trial with the Evo.

It seems to have a fantastic list of ingredients and she likes it.

So that is the story.

Moggy.

PS...some dogs do it cos they can, and nothing you do will stop it......I have bitches that are used to eating puppy poo for months from their litters, suddenly start to eat anyones poo, soon stops when they are reprimanded......also clean your yard twice a day, when she poos pick it up straight away, if she ate raw she would poo only when she ate, processed foods they poo multiple times a day, as most of what they eat is waste compared to raw diets being mostly absorbed & used by the body & wasting very little

This food is 42% crude protein.

Now I am worried this will affect her kidneys.

She only has 1/4 cup of Evo per day, and seems to be enough to satisfy her.

In theory you shouldn't have to worry I think, as per the manufacturer's instructions the food is supposedly designed to feed less in total amount while still supplying all the nutrients in a balanced amount, eg, 42% of 1/4 cup should mathematically be about the same protein as 25% of a 1/2 cup of mince.

Edited by anthony mazzeri