Home Alone Activities For 2 Border Collies

Hi

Just after some idears on how to entertain and tire out 2 young border collies. my brother has the two and has recently been transfered to work at a school away from town, so he is living out of town during the week and home weekends and holidays. this leaves his wife to look after the kids, dogs, birds and well kids.

so i'm after some idears on how to inrich their environment and mentaly stimulate them. they are about 2 years and are working line dogs, exeptional escape artist and are typicall working breed dogs bord with nothing to do. they are locked in a dubble garage by day.

What i'm thinking is to stop the family feeding the dogs out of a bowl, and all their food to be given to them in other ways, things like dry food in plastic bottles, kongs, everlasting fun balls, and boxes.

is their any thing ealse (yes saving for a home alone) i could mention??

Edited by petmezz

The frozen things and bones and kongs are an OK idea... BUT

if these two are cooped up all day in a small area everyday... and only have the food items to think about... I would worry about fights :)

Two active young border collies locked in a double garage ... with minimal exercise and stimulation = a sad situation.

I know there are kids involved, but are these dogs really getting a quality lifestyle? Further down the track- they may think of ways to amuse themselves... barking,digging,chewing.. all of which are stressful for dogs& people alike :cool:

Good for you to try and alleviate the situation, but I think they need a lot more.

The frozen things and bones and kongs are an OK idea... BUT

if these two are cooped up all day in a small area everyday... and only have the food items to think about... I would worry about fights :rolleyes:

Thats why i'm using kibble from their dinner, it is a low value food, these dogs are feed together and their have never been any problems, not even over bones when they acashionaly get them. however i wouldn't be using high value foods like meat and bones just in case. fighting is a real potential problem however in this situation and with thease two dogs i feal it is a small risk, though regular monetring would be required.

Two active young border collies locked in a double garage ... with minimal exercise and stimulation = a sad situation.
agree 100% that is why i'm trying to perswade them to at least make the dogs life somewhat interesting, and by this releaving some of the frustration for the dogs.
I know there are kids involved, but are these dogs really getting a quality lifestyle? Further down the track- they may think of ways to amuse themselves... barking,digging,chewing.. all of which are stressful for dogs& people alike :(

Yes i know the potential outcomes from this situation, rehoming is not an option at this stage though may change latter on and if so the dogs would come to me. the use of feeding through things like kongs, bottels and so forth is to help releave some of the stress that the dogs are going through. it is not ideal but it will help, small steps with this family and eventually it will be better for these dogs................ i'v got the chizel out chip chip chip slowly dose it

Good for you to try and alleviate the situation, but I think they need a lot more.

thanks, i'm treating it like it is a client of mine, otherwise i would rip into him and get no whear :) the dogs don't get the mental stimulation they need and at the moment not the phisical needs (yes i know the two most important for a border) however they dog sleep inside, go for walks, are fed and are much loved. because of the dogs escaping (due to bordom) they have been placed into the garage it is very simular to being in a kennel. their are windows and reasionable ventalation.

i will be talking about a kennel being bilt and potentialy an electronic containment system, however even with eather of thease i'm still conserned with the lack of stimulation. as mentioned they are workers.

(petmezz thanks herself for convincing them not to get siberian huskies..........and kiks herself for not trying harder to prevent them getting borders or any other working breed)

My consern is with their need to work, and lack of it being their

Jeez, why didn't they get pet rocks?

Can they afford to get a dog walker? Not an answer, but in the short term might be a solution.

I think re-homing might be the kindest option for the 2 BC's :rolleyes:

Jeez, why didn't they get pet rocks?

Can they afford to get a dog walker? Not an answer, but in the short term might be a solution.

I think re-homing might be the kindest option for the 2 BC's :rolleyes:

it hasn't always been this way. and will (hopfully) get better for them. they are a lot better of then some dogs, they at least have an owner who cares and is frustrated in what has happened themselves.

I will look into the dog walker their are some around the area thanks

Edited by petmezz

thanks for the information and help.

they will be walked 4 times a week now, and have a dog sitter their with them most days :laugh: their will be a containment system put in out of town so the dogs will soon be able to go out their with my brother and have a masive area to play run and be dogs.

lets hope they stick to the plan

thanks all

If they can be contained in a backyard during the day & don't fight over kibble, it can be scattered all over the yard instead of being put in bowls. This would give them something to do, searching for every last piece & not gobbling it down in a couple of minutes. There's also those treat balls with a rope attached that you put on a tree branch. They have to jump up & tug on the rope for the kibble to be released. They are quite expensive & you would probably need 2.

Other than that, you could hide things, treats, toys around the garage as long as it would be safe for them to be searching for them.