Protection Training

Fine with importing, already have a few of his DVDs (no protection ones though. 2 puppy ones and the dominant dog one.)

i just received choosing a working puppy, i cant wait to watch it!! :D

Midol you should check the library thread in general, I and others have listed there few dvds I have about working dogs, put your name in a queue and you will get to watch them.

Also it does matter what equipment does the club have, how are you going to teach the dog to go over an A frame if they wont have one?

The sch club on the Gold Coast that I visited recently had of course all of the gear needed for Schutzhund.

The club in the GC is one of the ones I was looking at.

Do I need to train a security dog to go over an A-frame? Maybe when I leave security and start doing Schutzhund that'll become a problem :rofl:

Kitkat, I think you mean http://redgumkennels.com ;) Your site took me to some corporate plus but I found my way there, thanks!

i just checked out that site, they have a sec training course i might do, it looks pretty good compared to the NDTF one i plan to do.

Whatever you do, DO NOT send your dog away to be trained for security. It won't do you any good. Security training is team work and the dog and you need to learn to work together.

There's also a load of stupid security trainers out there claiming to know it all and sadly all they know is how to stuff the dog. A good decoy will know how to bring out the best in your dog. your dog should leave the training happy not stressed.

It's so easy to stuff a dog in this training, i've seen it so many times and it's so sad. Please look around before deciding on one. A good decoy will have all the things needed, all you need is a good collar and lead and off you go.

The training is on going, but once you've got the dog to knowing what's expected of it you won't need to do much, most of it will be do let the dog release the build up. All the dogs i've trained loved doing it. And when trained they know to pick if you need them to help you and when to sit back and relax.

As for how long it takes, it starts to get serious once the dog matures, so that depends on the breed and their lines, and after that you should have a trained dog within 6mths if training wkly. That's the basic of switching them on and off. THen if you want to do the search command or any of the other, that will all depend on you and your dog, and of course the decoy.

Sorry about the link...lol...was going by memory :laugh:

The kennels there are very good...and i've had dogs trained there and know of many others trained there also - they do the boarding training and then you spend the next several weeks (or as long as needed) going back each saturday morning to learn what the dog has learnt. They are very good - they also do one on one lessons as well - i guess a lot depends on the time you have available as much as anything else.