Orijien Food

. Obviously though, a BARF diet is not low protein so there is argument there with people or breeders who successfully feed BARF to their pups and would report that they grow no quicker than their kibble fed counterparts!

A BARF diet isn't particularly high in protein I don't think - the commercial patties are around 10-13%, because natural moisture levels in real meat means moisture is about 70% of a BARF mix (which is a good thing). Dry weight the protein level would be maybe 30-35%, but as it's not dry fed it's not a very relevant measure.

I believe black poo is indicative of a high protein diet - so you can literally see you are getting your monies worth! :eek:

I don't know if black poo indicates a high protein diet, but black poo certainly is known as a sign of intestinal bleeding, high in the digestive tract. I'm not suggesting it is for your dogs but I'd hate someone else to read this and not realise black poo is often a very good reason for a trip to the vet.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe black poo is indicative of a high protein diet - so you can literally see you are getting your monies worth! :eek:

I don't know if black poo indicates a high protein diet, but black poo certainly is known as a sign of intestinal bleeding, high in the digestive tract. I'm not suggesting it is for your dogs but I'd hate someone else to read this and not realise black poo is often a very good reason for a trip to the vet.

Sorry, I should have been more specific (albeit tongue in cheek originally) - but in a HEALTHY dog where you KNOW you are feeding a high protein diet - you will likely pick up black poo. :laugh:

our Wei has been on Orijen for about 3 weeks now and we have noticed a HUGE improvement in his skin and stools

he gets oil capsules and antihistamines daily as well, but the change to a non-grain food (plus raw chicken daily) has worked for him

we will try to ween him off the additives over the coming months

just one question - we get our Orijen at $110 per 13.6kg bag which I believe is the RRP

why do so many stores have the same bag at $120? MORE than the RRP ?????

That's just greedy i think....would you see two different car dealers showing different prices....of course....but would one of them be offering cars at MORE THAN the RRP? I think not....

Don't ever pay more than RRP - take your money elsewhere

harold,let me put your mind at ease about retailers overcharging.The RRP of a 13.5kg bag of Orijen is indeeed $120 so they are not being greedy.There is infact not a great deal of markup on pet foods,especially after you take delivery charges for the retailer into consideration.I have even double checked figures with the distributor

Anyone charging less is either taking a cut for business or not correctly charging gst

Either way,I'd go to where you get good service and can get the item you want

Edited by 4 Paws

4 paws

all I can tell you is that the shop where I get Orijen from tells me that the RRP is $110 and that's what they charge

why would they say otherwise?

they also say that it is common for stores to quote an inflated RRP to get more $$$ from the customer :laugh:

i'm just the messenger - but shoot me anyhow

4 paws

all I can tell you is that the shop where I get Orijen from tells me that the RRP is $110 and that's what they charge

why would they say otherwise?

they also say that it is common for stores to quote an inflated RRP to get more $$$ from the customer :rofl:

i'm just the messenger - but shoot me anyhow

No Idea why :cheer: but you are getting a bargin :laugh: , here's an extract from the distributors email when I questioned the Different pricing -Our recommended retail price is $120. There are some retailers who sell for less in order to get more business .The Price List states $109 plus GST.So basically if you continue to get it for the $110,good luck to you :)

Hi, don't think that feeding low protein diets to large breed puppies is the advice going around 'right now'. I thought that was more like the old advice. All the recent journal articles I can find say it's more to do with calcium/phorphorus ratios and calorie intake.

Yeah, that's my impression too.

On another note my two dogs have been on Orijen for a while and they absolutely love it but it's not all good things I'm seeing. There stools are too soft half the time and they are now both farting machines since switching to it. On the other hand their coats are absolutely beautiful on it.

We're having the same problem. Martha's poos are very runny, and man, can she whiff up a room!

Guest june.andnovas

Who in Perth orders Orijien dry food? Which supplier do you buy it from? How much is postage?

Anyone know much about becoming a supplier of Orijien in Perth?

I'm defiantly looking to order large breed puppy for when I get my giant pup!

I think I'm on my 6th bag of it now for Mazza, I always think in the back of my mond, maybe he'll get bored of it this bag and turn his nose up...but it hasn't happened yet...both him and his sister scoff it down like its going out of fashion :thumbsup: It has totally stopped wind in both of them, they do have very black poops though!

I think I'm on my 6th bag of it now for Mazza, I always think in the back of my mond, maybe he'll get bored of it this bag and turn his nose up...but it hasn't happened yet...both him and his sister scoff it down like its going out of fashion :thumbsup: It has totally stopped wind in both of them, they do have very black poops though!

Wish it would stop the wind in my two! Oscar especially - such a small dog, such a big stink!

I've got both my dog and cat on Orijen now and find it great. Have noticed a huge change in the cat's stools - a lot less in volume and smell!

With my dog she's going really well on it and I get a lot of comments on how shiny her coat is (black lab) and how well she looks. However, her stools still have their, erm, runny moments and wow she goes a lot!! 3 or 4 times a day. Is this normal?? I feed her twice a day.

Who in Perth orders Orijien dry food? Which supplier do you buy it from? How much is postage?

I have just ordered a big bag for my big dog and a small bag for the cat - ordered it through Pookinuk - $5 delivery charge so pretty darned good!

If you ask City Farmers or Better Pets and Gardens, they can order it in for you - both are usually very helpful in this way - I get my Ziwipeak ordered in from Better Pets and Gardens, and City Farmers have ordered in Coprice for me in the past.

:eek:

www.pookinuk.com.au

Guest june.andnovas

I have just ordered a big bag for my big dog and a small bag for the cat - ordered it through Pookinuk - $5 delivery charge so pretty darned good!

If you ask City Farmers or Better Pets and Gardens, they can order it in for you - both are usually very helpful in this way - I get my Ziwipeak ordered in from Better Pets and Gardens, and City Farmers have ordered in Coprice for me in the past.

:)

www.pookinuk.com.au

awesome information! $5 delivery, can't go past that. What happens when they deliver and you're not home? I did leave a note when I signed up to just put it behind the back gate (though that won't be able to happen when my pup is grown up!) .. hopefully they do so. I don't want to be chasing the dog food around perth!

Will contact BP&G and see if they can get it in, maybe a little more helpful than our local city farmers ...

I've just ordered a small bag of the puppy Orijen for my 16 week old staffie who since I got him has had a BAAAAAD rear end. (runny / sometimes diarreah / sometimes hard / sometimes just constantly dripping / lots of wind) A lot of the same sxs as a lot of the pp have. I'm sure the constant changing of diet has a lot to do with it as well as him being ultra sensitive.

Supercoat gives him wind and runny inconsistent poo's, Pedigree Natural (I know, but less protein so I thought it was worth a go) was the same and he was eating it, I tried adding turkey mince and this too has given him the splatters.

So fingers crossed the Orijen works and I can move on from this new "poo obsession" I have and we can be a happy family!!