Wet Canned Food Suggestions

Just getting the dog back onto normal food after her problems in May.

She has always had pedigree canned food but am a bit wary about their 'traditional' cans at present.

Looking for suggestions on a low fat canned food that we can try her on (only gets a tiny bit as there is dry food too but dog doesn't believe she has been fed unless there is some canned food there). In particular something that comes in small cans (in case she reacts). Otherwise I'll just have to get more ID canned food.

(Please dont mention raw food etc she cannot have bones etc - its not an option). Must be low in fat and not really processed stuff (she still reacts to human food like small amounts of cheese, processed meat, mayo etc in last corner of a sandwich).

My little old Lhasa is doing quite well on Natures Gift canned food. She doesn't have enough teeth to be battling with the bones and kibble the younger dogs get and at 14, I think she's earned the right to eat what she likes.

Thank you for the suggestions - will spend some time looking at the shops and comparing those and see what seems closest to the ID. We've tried in teh past (when we have run out of canned food) to add more to the dry food and while the dog happily cleans the bowl she will look for more later and carry on as if she hasnt been fed if no canned food is added. She doesnt do this with same amount of food but canned food is there even in small portions.

She was the same when given just the ID canned food while still recovering and on medication - she was just so happy when she got a mixture of the ID can and dry food some days later.

Natures Gift contains Ash... around 3.6%

Since my dog can't eat anything hard (not even dry kibble) for 4 weeks, I have been feeding her a mixture of

- Excellence Plus canned food (has added nutrients like protien, calcium or omega 3)

- Pet Mince available in a 3kg pink bag in the refridgerated section at Woolies

- Offal mixed in with the above mince (hearts, liver)

- Kibble soaked in beef stock until mushy

- Pet mince from butcher and chicken shop

I also give her a can of sardines in oil once a week mixed into the mince.

I don't know what it is about this diet but her coat is becoming really, really soft and she seems happy.

Roo meat is low in fat, and feeding raw meat doesnt mean you HAVE to feed bones. If shes getting dried food, minced meat added to it will be okay. My girls dont get bones, the occasional chicken wing maybe.

She loves her dry food but doesnt believe the meal is complete without a little bit of canned.

No roo meat, pet mince, eggs, offal - were all on the do not feed list from the vet (along with obvious like sausages, cooked bones, etc). The info sheet was for dogs suffering or have suffered from gastro/pancreatitis and had info why not to feed each food (can't remember where I put it though). As an older dog he also said that to be careful as she may find it harder to go back to things she had previously and may become intolerant (the sandwich corner being something that proves this) and that we'd have to try each thing and see if she was OK or if she would not handle it (loose motions). Even her monthly heartworm chewable seems to still be causing a loose motion.

After having her losing nearly a kilo or so a week when she was sick and when it got really bad having the dog need to go outside at 3am to produce several small amounts of brown liquid and blood drops (plus two weeks of medication) plus the reoccurance after the first week of treatment - only planning to get her back to the dry food and little bit of canned with slow introduction of treats and only then things going well eventually try her small pieces of human food she use to get (eg small piece of roast beef when making lunch).

However am getting a good list for brands to go looking at when shopping. Thank you for your suggestions.

Really is an eye opener looking at the ingredients - one had 9% fat! In the end went with Optimum 4% fat (ID was 3%). Nature's Gift was similar to the ingredients of ID but was about 6% fat(as were most of them).