Can Dogs Be Intolerant To Eggs?

Angel's brother, Shadow is also intolerant to beef. Maybe some food intolerance runs in the lines considering Odin's, mum and Taz are related to Angel and Shadow on both sides.

Edited by Norskgra

Now I feed a BARF diet I add raw eggs and their shells to the veggie/fruit slops that I make. I put them through the blender with the other stuff. The pugs are fine with the raw eggs this way.

Angel who is 12 1/2 months old is fed a raw diet and I mix the whole egg, including shell into her mix. None of my others have any problems at all with eggs, just Angel.

When my daughter was younger, she used to be allergic to eggs but she seems to have grown out of it.

I use 8 to 10 whole eggs, including shells, in my bucket of BARF slops. The pugs get 2 to 3 tablespoons in their dinner everyday. So it's only a small quantity that they are getting in each meal.

Are you mixing a whole egg per meal? Maybe try a smaller amount or cooking scrambled eggs. I will scramble eggs with the shells every now and again as a treat for the pugs.

Angel's brother, Shadow is also intolerant to beef. Maybe some food intolerance runs in the lines considering Odin's, mum and Taz are related to Angel and Shadow on both sides.

Shadow after all is related to Taz through Tyra is afterall Taz's Aunt.

So maybe food intolerance runs in the gene pool.

Are you mixing a whole egg per meal? Maybe try a smaller amount or cooking scrambled eggs. I will scramble eggs with the shells every now and again as a treat for the pugs.

They get a whole egg. I am doing a test tonight because I have a feeling that it may be the egg shell. When she has a meal of meat or fish without bones, I add egg shell powder to balance it. I seem to think she has the same problem with the egg shell powder. I will try her in a few days on just an egg without the shell to see.

Angel and Shadow are related to Adel and Taz on both sides. Their mother was a half-sister to Tyra and Kasper's sire is also Taz and Adel's sire.

Angel and Shadow are related to Adel and Taz on both sides. Their mother was a half-sister to Tyra and Kasper's sire is also Taz and Adel's sire.

I forgot Hush is Casper's sire. The gene pool is so small here in NSW.

On the other hand (Not food intolerance) but Zac is intolerant to fleas. And Adele gets itchy between the pads of her feet when she is running throug grass mostly in spring through Autumn this occurs.

You left the E off Adele :eek:

Edited by Elkie1

I forgot Hush is Casper's sire. The gene pool is so small here in NSW.

On the other hand (Not food intolerance) but Zac is intolerant to fleas. And Adele gets itchy between the pads of her feet when she is running throug grass mostly in spring through Autumn this occurs.

You left the E off Adele :clap:

Sorry about Adele's name. It is out of habit. A friend from school spelt it the other way. Oh and by the way, Kasper is spelt with a K. :clap:

Now now Elkhound people! :) ;)

My dogs all get a natural diet PLUS a little high quality kibble. (Eagle Pack atm)

I am in agreeance with Norskgra's version of the scientific issue of "eggs" ie white is balanced by the yolk :p

That said, if you are having an issue with one dog eating whole raw eggs, then trying a little cooked egg is good alternative - this is what is recommended to kids with egg intolerance. Allergy is different and egg is not recommended for children or people if they have an egg allergy.

HOWEVER - I have one dog who if she even gets a minute amount of any kind of egg, is vomiting for the next 48 hours. ;) :rofl:

Time and time again this happens - at first we thought she was getting ticks and we rushed her off to the vet. After it happened the fourth time, we clicked as to what was happening.

Even if she has kibble with egg component, she starts vomiting!! ;) So she is the only one of our dogs who has absolutely no egg and a specially prepared diet so she doesn't accidently get egg.

Egg intolerance can be overcome at a young age (same with most intolerances) by introducing tiny amounts of the "irritant" when they are pups. In every pup I've had here, I make sure there is a large variety of food for them to try from a young age - yes, some get runny bottoms but they get over it in a few hours or days and by the time they leave here, they can basically eat anything a new owner wants to throw at them!

A couple of "older" breeders have mentioned to me how many dogs these days are "intolerant" to so many foods. Maybe it's because we owner/breeders have become more educated about nutrition or maybe it's because the environment in general is breaking down and creating more problems - who knows - these breeders say that in the past, with dogs getting leftovers, table scraps, god forbid COOKED bones plus lots of butchers offcuts :clap: - they never had these problems with their dogs. Perhaps dogs are getting as sensitive as their humans :clap:

Anyway, I don't want to start on about nutrition and dogs - we've got enough of those threads here on DOL ;)

But Norskgra - if you're having problems with this one girl, just try the cooked egg (maybe HALF a cooked egg scrambled!) and see how you go. She might get better at eating egg orperhaps she will never be able to eat them. :)

I do believe dogs can be intolerant or allergic to egg :p

Thanks TT. At the moment I am trying her on the different parts of the egg raw. She had egg shell powder last night and so far it has had no effect on her. Tomorrow I will try either the yolk or white. If/when we find out which part of the egg it is, I will then try cokking that part and see how she goes.

My dogs don't have a problem with just getting egg, but many people recommend only feeding eggs with other foods - like with mince. Lots of dogs have loose bowels after eggs. Somethings this can be reduced by feeding other things with things, sometimes not.

If your dogs still can't eat raw with other stuff, then you could try cooking it or not feeding it all together.

I haven't read this whole thread, but Joey can't tolerate raw eggs at all (not sure about cooked?).

Even when i have diluted it with water, he throws up after, so i don't give them to him anymore..

Renae on the other hand has a iron gut, and they have never affected her :clap:

My godmother's cavvie has a problem with them too - he either throws up after them or has very loose bowel movements the next day. Egg is the only thing they could think of that would be causing the problem (she feeds raw).

Zero (my husky) on the other hand is intolerant to artificial colours, flavours and preservatives but loves a raw egg (or 12) when he can get hold of them. Since feeding them to him, his coat is softer and more shiny - and he just loves them! I think eggs (like in people) will always be something that people will have differing opinions about.

My godmother's cavvie has a problem with them too - he either throws up after them or has very loose bowel movements the next day. Egg is the only thing they could think of that would be causing the problem (she feeds raw).

Zero (my husky) on the other hand is intolerant to artificial colours, flavours and preservatives but loves a raw egg (or 12) when he can get hold of them. Since feeding them to him, his coat is softer and more shiny - and he just loves them! I think eggs (like in people) will always be something that people will have differing opinions about.

Yeah some cavs are prone to having sensitive stomachs (Joey's one of them), but he has been good for ages now ... :clap: but i still won't take chances with giving him raw eggs just in case..

I guess dogs are like humans, in that we all react to different things for different reasons.. :clap:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Thanks everyone. I have never had a dog that had food intolerances before. Kari used to be intolerant to chicken fat but has grown out of it. That wasn't too bad, I just took the fat off her chicken frames or necks and she was right. It is now just Shadow and Angel. Hopefully they may grow out of it as well.