Where To Sleep My Puppy?

raeviel

"We're thinking it's simply time to get her to sleep outside "

God are you kidding :(

From your previous posts i personally think your expecting way to much & not wanting to do the hard work.I will wear my flame suit happily.

You have a young puppy who buy 7 am would be wanting its breakfast

All our pups get a light brekkie at 6 am when they go outside to toilet ,play & then get there full brekkie 7/8 am.

Im sorry but you wanting to sleep in & owning a dog is a sacrifice you make until all the hardwork via puppy age is done.

Your pup is a baby & you cant expect to understand what you want unless you get it into a routine.

Minis are exceptionally clean dogs who will hang on till the end.

We have 12 in the house from 16 to 6 weeks

"We're thinking it's simply time to get her to sleep outside "

God are you kidding :(

From your previous posts i personally think your expecting way to much & not wanting to do the hard work.I will wear my flame suit happily.

You have a young puppy who buy 7 am would be wanting its breakfast

All our pups get a light brekkie at 6 am when they go outside to toilet ,play & then get there full brekkie 7/8 am.

Im sorry but you wanting to sleep in & owning a dog is a sacrifice you make until all the hardwork via puppy age is done.

Your pup is a baby & you cant expect to understand what you want unless you get it into a routine.

Minis are exceptionally clean dogs who will hang on till the end.

We have 12 in the house from 16 to 6 weeks

Yes I agree with settrlvr. Your puppy is doing exceptionally well sleeping until 7am and when she wakes you should get up, let her out and feed her. You are expecting way too much from this puppy. I would also consider crating her overnight instead of leaving her in such a large area.

My post wasn't seeking advice on how to get her to sleep longer, or at a time to suit me, simply how to train her to stop toileting overnight. I'd be happy to wake several times throughout the night, crate her, leave her, whatever, in order to solve this problem.

Also, please refrain from making sweeping judgements about my 'parenting'. I've made a point to seek advice from several sources (DOL and strongly opinionated posters therein included) and then make an educated decision about which is the best way to raise my dog. I'll take your advice into account as I have the advice of people who tell me it's perfectly fine to sleep a 15 week old pup outside.

LuvMyCav- cheers for the advice. We can clearly hear her when she barks and yep- we've tried leaving her and waiting for her to let us know when she needs to toilet. She still seems to happily toilet in the laundry.

Have you tried doing the wake up at say 5 or 6 instead of 4? When you wake her up at 4, this probably stimulates her bowels, but maybe not until after she has been put away. Also a better time for you, I hate getting up at 4!

Does she have the entire laundry all to herself? Ie her bed in there and not in a crate?

As from what I have read if that's the case then she wont mind pooping or peeing in there as the area is so big.

So if that's the case I'd get a crate for her and crate train her, she is unlikely to poop in her crate given that the area would be alot smaller.

BDL

Also, please refrain from making sweeping judgements about my 'parenting'. I've made a point to seek advice from several sources (DOL and strongly opinionated posters therein included) and then make an educated decision about which is the best way to raise my dog. I'll take your advice into account as I have the advice of people who tell me it's perfectly fine to sleep a 15 week old pup outside.

Where do you live? Did that advice take into account the coat type and body mass of your puppy? Personally there's no way in hell I'd sleep a pup of this breed/coat type outside at this age, but to each their own. Puppy would find it quite difficult to regulate her body temperature I'd imagine. Adults have an easier time of that. Dogs of larger body mass have an easier time maintaining core body temperature... the littlies can struggle in extremes of temp.

Everytime your puppy eliminates inside, that's reinforcing that it's OK to do so. My vet's general rule was one accident inside gets you 5 more. In order to get her toilet trained, you have to be able to ensure that she is never given that opportunity.

If you cannot hear her stir to get out of her bed then you're up against it I'm afraid. As until recently she was inside all day, you've got some hurdles to overcome there too.

A few suggestions.

Sleep her in a crate within clear hearing distance of where you sleep. This doesn't mean she has to sleep there forever but you do need to hear her. If she has the run of the laundry (which I'm glad to hear is warm because they don't call them 'heat sinks' for nothing) then she has room to move away from her bed. She must be stiring before she eliminates.. you need to be catching that.

Consider installing a dog door which gives her (once trained to use it) the option of going outside to toilet 24/7.

ETA a left field suggestion.. Buy or borrow a baby monitor and put that with her, keeping the other end by your bed.. that way you may be able to hear her without moving her closer to you.

Edited by poodlefan

Thanks so much for the fantastic feedback. We tried getting up a little later (5am) this morning and this seemed to work so we'll persue that route for now.

I think we'll also try to make the laundry smaller. We wanted her to have as much room as possible initially but this may be making eliminating inside more tolerable for her, which we should discourage. I don't think we'll be putting her outside any time soon as my gut feeling and general research has suggested it's far too cold at the moment- especially in the middle of a Melbourne winter.

Generally speaking, her toilet training is progressing fantastically. When she is inside with us she sits at the door when she needs to go to the toilet and its now been a long time since she 'eliminated' inside.

Thanks again for your advice.

Thanks so much for the fantastic feedback. We tried getting up a little later (5am) this morning and this seemed to work so we'll persue that route for now.

I think we'll also try to make the laundry smaller. We wanted her to have as much room as possible initially but this may be making eliminating inside more tolerable for her, which we should discourage. I don't think we'll be putting her outside any time soon as my gut feeling and general research has suggested it's far too cold at the moment- especially in the middle of a Melbourne winter.

Generally speaking, her toilet training is progressing fantastically. When she is inside with us she sits at the door when she needs to go to the toilet and its now been a long time since she 'eliminated' inside.

Thanks again for your advice.

Glad to hear things are on the improve.. it's so frustrating when you're at the point where you wonder if they'll ever understand about only doing it outside.

We're having trouble with our 12 week old mini schnauzer absolutely hating the laundry in which she sleeps (smallish room, but warm, with all her toys, downstairs from where we sleep). She cries for about 15 minutes after being put to bed, but we ignore her completely and she eventually goes to sleep.

In the morning however, she's up at 7.00am on the dot and cries and barks NON STOP. There is literally no pause in this behaviour until eventually my other half and I must get up and go to work anyway so we let her out. She absolutely adores us and just can't seem leave our sides for the rest of the morning... This behaviour has been continuing (non stop) for the 4 weeks that we've had her. HELP!

Can anyone suggest what moves we make next? Mornings are horrible in our house!

Are you able to place her outside from the time she gets up and your other half takes her out for a couple hours? :)

Edited by husky princess

I think we'll also try to make the laundry smaller. We wanted her to have as much room as possible initially but this may be making eliminating inside more tolerable for her, which we should discourage.

Yes, I was told by someone that dogs prefer a smaller space as they are 'den' animals. Reducing her sleeping area will discourage her to mess her bed also as dogs don't like peeing where they sleep.

Geordie has a space in her crate of only about twice the space she takes up stretched out, and that seems to work fine (although she's getting bigger every day so it might be time to expand it a bit!!).

Good luck! I hope she can stay sleeping inside, as I'm the biggest believer that dogs are happier when inside the house with us humans.

Are you able to place her outside from the time she gets up and your other half takes her out for a couple hours? :)

Kick a warm, sleepy puppy outside at 4-5 in the morning in winter? :laugh:

Another vote for a crate beside your bed. I have a 13 week old here who, since 9 weeks old has slept right through (from 10.30pm-8am onwards).

Kick a warm, sleepy puppy outside at 4-5 in the morning in winter? :p

Another vote for a crate beside your bed. I have a 13 week old here who, since 9 weeks old has slept right through (from 10.30pm-8am onwards).

Absolutely not who is that cruel to leave a puppy out in winter, the question is referring to when her partner gets up at 7am to let the puppy out not the first time it gets up. :dropjaw:

Edited by husky princess

Absolutely not who is that cruel to leave a puppy out in winter, the question is referring to when her partner gets up at 7am to let the puppy out not the first time it gets up. :dropjaw:

I actually know a lot of people who find it acceptable to sleep a 14+ week old puppy outside (in winter no less), provided they have shelter and a warm kennel. My vet tells me under these circumstances it should be fine, my puppy school instructor echoes these sentiments and several others at my puppy class and various friends have placed their puppies outside in a kennel from the day they got them.

Hence, I'm surprised to hear people reacting so negatively over the concept here. At what age do you all believe dogs can be placed in a kennel outside or are people of belief that they should sleep indoors for life?

Please note, once again I'm merely asking a question- please refrain from any vitriolic responses.

I actually know a lot of people who find it acceptable to sleep a 14+ week old puppy outside (in winter no less), provided they have shelter and a warm kennel. My vet tells me under these circumstances it should be fine, my puppy school instructor echoes these sentiments and several others at my puppy class and various friends have placed their puppies outside in a kennel from the day they got them.

Hence, I'm surprised to hear people reacting so negatively over the concept here. At what age do you all believe dogs can be placed in a kennel outside or are people of belief that they should sleep indoors for life?

Please note, once again I'm merely asking a question- please refrain from any vitriolic responses.

A kennel could not be warm unless you heated it. Its been 2 deg overnight in Melbourne lately. I would be horrified if a pup I breed was outside at the moment.

I do not know much about the schnauser breed but I breed cavs. I believe they should be inside with unlimited access to outside. How far inside is a personal thing. Mine sleep on the bed. :rofl:

A friend has them in the laundry with a door. Our laundry is outside so not suitable. I could leave mine in the kitchen as that is were the door goes into.

As to permanently outside I say never as I come from a family that has always had inside dogs.

They do get shut out in the day time on occasions.

Are you able to place her outside from the time she gets up and your other half takes her out for a couple hours? :rofl:

Kick a warm, sleepy puppy outside at 4-5 in the morning in winter? :)

Absolutely not who is that cruel to leave a puppy out in winter, the question is referring to when her partner gets up at 7am to let the puppy out not the first time it gets up. :laugh:

A kennel could not be warm unless you heated it. Its been 2 deg overnight in Melbourne lately. I would be horrified if a pup I breed was outside at the moment.

I do not know much about the schnauser breed but I breed cavs. I believe they should be inside with unlimited access to outside. How far inside is a personal thing. Mine sleep on the bed. :scold:

A friend has them in the laundry with a door. Our laundry is outside so not suitable. I could leave mine in the kitchen as that is were the door goes into.

As to permanently outside I say never as I come from a family that has always had inside dogs.

They do get shut out in the day time on occasions.

Hi Bilbo Baggins, I too love having my husky on the bed. But do you have fur problems? I at times find myself waking up with fur stuck between my eyelashes and poking into my eyes and it has become a habit now. What do you do to prevent this? :cooldance: