One Rotund Boy

Hi there,

I am adopting a rescue Newfie and he is fat fat fat :laugh:

He's 8 years old and weighs 55kgs. We think he has some BC in him, so he's definitely not meant to be this big. We went to see him on the weekend and I couldn't feel his ribs. Apart from this he is in good health for an 8 yo.

Can you guys suggest anything to get the weight off him?

He's used to going for 1.5km walks everyday, but something tells me that maybe this wasn't EVERY day :clap:

I mean, obviously it's diet and exercise, but what sort of diet?

I have Turtle on Eukanubah and mince, just so you know.

Thanks in advance :)

chief.jpg

He's been shaved in this one :)

thechief-1.jpg

Edited by newnewf

There was an awesome thread a while back about someone with a fat elderly dog (Golden?) Anyway, Poodlefan and others posted a wealth of info. Perhaps if you search for Pumpkin posted by Poodlefan you might find the thread. It's been rehashed a little so you'll need to make sure it's the right thread IYKWIM.

Congrats on your new boy, so pleased he'll be a DOL'er so we get updates! :)

oh bless

I am so pleased he has a good home. He was just too well loved I think.

Have you changed his name or kept it?

congratulations

ps light and mature, chicken frames and bulk out with steamed vegies.

ps light and mature, chicken frames and bulk out with steamed vegies.

I echo this one, but split his feeds into to smaller ones, half the evening one with some low salt beef or chicken stock mixed into plain gelatin.. they think they are eating heaps, then they just fart it out.. tee hee.. as long as they are still getting the nutrients they need in their other portion of the feed it is fine, but don't give more than a cup full of set gelatin per day. It used to keep the weight off of my Mals and works a treat for my pugs now.

I had a bit of a weight problem with one of my dogs- the 7kg one was stealing food off the 25kg one!

Needless to say, Mr 7kg put on weight.

Cut the food intake by half.

At 8 years old, does he have any arthritis that limits his exercise?

Your new dog will be hungry on "rations", but that's fine. It's far worse to be a fat, old dog- is very hard on ageing joints :banghead:

I'd separate the dogs at mealtimes to avoid fights AND so you know exactly who's eating what.

Kongs have no calories.

Good luck with your new boy!

Kongs have no calories.

Awwww, what fun are Kongs with nothing in them?

Try a little smearing of vegemite in a Kong, no calories there :laugh:

I am also a huge advocate of cooked pumpkin with a doggy diet. Having had 2 rescue goldies with a bit of a weight problem, roast pumpkin as part of their twice daily meals worked a treat.

:banghead:

Excellent suggestions...thanks guys! :o

As far as I can tell he doesn't have any serious joint problems (when I viewed him he was walking and moving quite well), but having said that if he stays porky for too much longer, he will have problems!

We've always kept Turtle on the lean side while he was growing (he still is at 13 MO), and it's done him very well. He's in fab condition. I'm so determined to get this weight off him and give him real quality for the remainder of his life with us.

Just got home from a walk with Dougal yesterday and as we walk into the drive, there is this gorgeous black dog woofing at us from across the road. Owner brings him over to say helloo......he is a Newfy x GR!!! Well, he melted my heart!!!

Newfs are now on my list of 'dogs to own'!!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update:

We've had Chief for about two months and we weighed him about three weeks ago and he had lost 2 KILOS!!! :rolleyes: He's now 52kgs. I think since then he's probably lost another kilo too, he's starting to look a little less porky :eek:

He also has a lot more energy on our walks and during the day which is awesome.

We've been feeding him diet senior food, roo meat, sardines (for his skin). He only eats once a day, we tried for twice but he's not hungry in the morning. He was a bit hungry at first but now is going great guns!

I'm so proud of the little porker...good work Chief!! :o

Oh Congratulations newnewf!! Good going! Having been down this road with my porky westie who I stripped almost three kgs off (10+ kgs down to 7.2), I couldn't believe the difference it made to him - he bounces around like a puppy these days at the age of 9! And all it took was a raw diet of tiny portions of 'roo and bulk veggies! So 'being cruel to be kind' worked a treat here.

More progress piccies please??? :love:

Cheers,

Westiemum :eek:

Just a quick update:

We've had Chief for about two months and we weighed him about three weeks ago and he had lost 2 KILOS!!! :) He's now 52kgs. I think since then he's probably lost another kilo too, he's starting to look a little less porky :laugh:

He also has a lot more energy on our walks and during the day which is awesome.

We've been feeding him diet senior food, roo meat, sardines (for his skin). He only eats once a day, we tried for twice but he's not hungry in the morning. He was a bit hungry at first but now is going great guns!

I'm so proud of the little porker...good work Chief!! :laugh: