Need Advice

Need advice hopefully from Herr, Rotty trainer/ dog trainer, or someone. 2 yr old rescue Rotty attacked a 8 month old pup for no reason we can see. He gets along with most dogs at training, but this was out of the blue. The pup did nothing, Thor ( the Rotty ) was sniffing the pup and then he just attacked him. It shocked me, owner, and everyone else there. Pup was ok, no blood, but im seriously worried about the temperment of this rescue dog we have. Need help. Sue

Are the pup and rescue dog desexed? If not he would be reaching puberty and could have given off some body language you missed. When your rescue dog was sniffing the pup was he relaxed or shiffing from above with dominant body language? It is really hard the reasons to tell without being there.

Are the pup and rescue dog desexed? If not he would be reaching puberty and could have given off some body language you missed. When your rescue dog was sniffing the pup was he relaxed or shiffing from above with dominant body language? It is really hard the reasons to tell without being there.
Hi Janba, yes he was sniffing from above, but not sure of body language, looked friendly to me. It worries me that i can't trust him with any dog that cowers under him. Sue

details ...

desexed? where did you get the dog from? had the pup eaten? what do you mean by gets along with most dogs? How were they introduced?

From a rescue shelter, he is 2 yrs old, and no history. He gets along with 14 dogs at school, but now its 4 little dogs he doesn't like, but 5 little he still loves. This little one, as soon as he turned up, thor got exicited and wanted to go to say hello, so took both dogs close to sniff, and fine, closer nearly nose to nose, fine. Then Thor stood over the pup sniffing,( the pup just sat there,) then started getting into the pup.His bloody tail was wagging until he started into the pup. I really don't know. Sue

thor got exicited and wanted to go to say hello

this is a big assumption ... and unfortunately he may not have wanted to JUST go say hello. a wagging tail is not always a sign on friendlyness in a dog

looks like you need to teach him how to get along with other dogs and have control. Are you maybe nervous when introducing - this wont help his behaviour. If he can get along with some he can get along with most.

Sounds like you need a professional trainer to come and assess his behaviour and look for cues you may be missing in his body language.

I'll give you an example - last night I went to help a lovely couple and their two little dogs. They assumed the younger of the two dogs was the one causing all the problems because his reactions were louder and lasted longer - in fact it was the older dog, the one that sat there and just looked like she was chilling out. I went to remove her off the couch and she jumped up onto the back of the couch and snarled, curling her top lip to show a couple of teeth and her tail was not between her legs either. She new all 5kg of her was capable of taking a chunk out of me ... in 2 years the owners had never seen her behave like that either. They thought the dogs were excited at visitors, happy to sit on the couch with them - in fact the dogs were trying to dominate and control everyone entering the house and had progressed to cars on the street.

Take a step back and watch what he does ... you may be suprised what he is actually doing.

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks all, im a confident owner, but now maybe wont be. He seems to take a dislike to these dogs from a distance. Thinking about it, they are all light brown or light brown and white. No worries with a corgi who is black and white. or 2 silkys, honey colour.etc.The only dogs there that are brown are not acceptable, it seems. I really don't know and am picking at straws here. Taking a step back, he does focus on a certain dog, and barks, lunges, and ignores all other dogs around him.I mean total focus. Usually a new dog. Its a mystery to me, and i will be on guard this Sunday. He was spayed 2 months ago. Thanks. Sue

and i will be on guard this Sunday. He was spayed 2 months ago

Hi- Just a thought- the more you appear to be 'on guard'/anticipating trouble/trying to avoid 'brown' dogs- the more you may be unwittingly making the behaviour worse!

he will be reading your body language- smelling your perspiration- and reacting to your behaviour :rofl:

Sounds like you need a professional trainer to come and assess his behaviour and look for cues you may be missing in his body language.

I agree.

Oh- and male dogs are castrated- not speyed. Speying removes uterus/ovaries :eek:

Hi Sue,

If it helps at all, don't let him decide who he likes, that is up to you as you are the leader. You say who is good and who is bad and your dog backs you up. You don't ask them to be best freinds but you expect good/social behaviour because your the boss and you make the decisions. :rofl:

You buy the dog food so this is non negotiable, you make the rules.