Salmon Heads

4 Paws

is it ok to give dogs(gsd's) salmon heads?

Just brought a couple and didn't think about it till i got home.I've given them raw sardines and the guy at the fish market said he gives his mackarel no problems.When I asked for the 2 he asked was I making soup :p :rofl: cause I can't stand fish but when i said it was for the dogs he just asked had i tried mackeral or sardines,didn't say not to feed them the heads so I'm presuming its ok

Oh Byron loves Salmon heads. Tyler carries them around and then spits them in disgust and repeats that process for an hour until i give up and give her something else..... she doesn't get them anymore. They are very good for the dogs, go for it!

Charlie loves them but Delta refuses to eat them (yet loves salmon- go figure). I can't watch them being eaten though, I have no issues handling and feeding raw food, but when it comes to watching a dog devour something with eyes I have to look away. I usually feed them frozen which means I have to leave the room for long periods of time and peer cautiously around the corner every so often to see if he is done :rofl:

well,gave them to the gsd's for tea.The one who will eat anything turnd her nose up at it and just sat beside the bowl waiting for something else while the fussy one didn't know what to do with it.Picked it up and carried it around for a while till she eventually started eating it,was a slow progress and not sure if she finsihed it or not as it got dark

Am a bit dissapointed as I thought they'd polish them off in no time.thank god I didn't buy more

Quite a few dogs don't "get" fish.

Go grab an entire fish with scales and see if your dogs will eat it. Axle took ages to figure it out.

Jessie (now at the "Bridge") loved fish. At the beach every morning for years we'd stop and chat to a group of fishermen. On the way back Lyle, one of the fishermen used to clean his catch and throw the bits to the seagulls. Jessie used to be in amongst the seagulls scoffing as quickly as she could :laugh: In the end some of them used to save a fish for Jessie and she'd eat it still wriggling head first eeeuuuwww :laugh: The guys thought that it was hilarious :)

Jessie had manners, which I'm still trying to instill into Pele :eek: Jessie would sit politely and wait for her fish, then I'd get her to do a few tricks. In the end Lyle would put the fish on his chair on a hessian bag, or the table and table cloth as he referred to it, so that Jessie wouldn't get sand on it :( They used to spoil her :laugh:

I feed Pele canned Mackeral and sardines. I haven't tried her on "real" fish yet. Pele is a piggy, so I'm sure that she'd eat it.

well tonight I gave the rejected salmon head that one of my girls refused to eat last night to the foxie and he certainly loved it,was a sight seeing him try to open his mouth wide enough to get started on it,polished it off in no time