Brother And Sister Labs Arriving In Sept

cocosonni

:):eat: You're awesome Botheration... You should be a detective!

Yeah. CSI: Melbourne. Martha is my trusty pardner!

I really don't mean to be mean, just don't want to be taken for a ride.

I agree! We don't want people on here feeling like they have to be too nice and not telling us the truth. That's what makes this place so special!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignore those Horrorstories That is not what you need to be Hearing When You are Trying To Prepare For the new Arrivals.

PMSL :):eat:

That's right, we should never, ever, ever share our experiences unless they are happy because god knows no-one one ever learns from their mistakes.

Thanks for the laugh, Coco :mad

I am the owner of 2 lab puppies, both boys from the same litter. The experiences I have had with them would make me NEVER EVER get 2 puppies from the same litter again. Please don't get me wrong, I LOVE my dogs more than life itself and do plan on adding a third dog in a year or so, but it has been very hard work.

I made so many many mistakes with them, like not seperating them enough when they were small, and so they are very attached and focused on one another rather than me and my partner. OH and I take them to obedience class nearly every Sunday morning and training despite going quite well, could be better. We did manage to get in to seperate classes for a while, which helped, but as we have risen through the ranks, we are now in class 3, there are less members and so we are back together, trying to keep them focussed on us and not each other. This resulted in an accident about 4 weeks ago where Lou, trying to get to Andy went the wrong way in a turn, and I fell over him and damaged my knee.

I also thought that 2 would keep each other company and so less chewing and digging. It did work with regards to barking and howling, they aren't lonely and so dont get upset when we leave them home while at work, but the lead each other in to mischief. We have lost most of our garden furniture to chewing, and the garden looks like the moon with huge craters in it. They are very good at weeding the borders though, but we have no plants at all!! Luckily, OH and I aren't really in to flowers, as long as the dogs have a secure yard. They are also very good at getting the washing in, something, I still haven't managed to stop them doing. I have lost thousands of dollars of clothes to chewing and ripping off the line.

I have 2 children, both boys, 14 and 16. The dogs are not my children's, never have been and never will be. They are not even allowed to walk them alone as the dogs are sooo strong and 30kgs each. They do help to look after L&A, feeding, poo picking etc, and they love them very much, but the dogs are mine and my husband's. We have ultimate responsibility for their care.

If you do decided to take on 2 puppies at once, I really recommend that you seperate them alot from day one. I am not a professional, this is all just from personal experience of a very boisterous breed. Walk them seperately as soon as they have had their vacs. The other thing that was an absolute godsend was the Triangle of Temptation that you can find in the training section. This was very hard work as we had to shut one dog in a room while taking the other dog outside to feed and train. The dog inside the house went bloody nuts, but it was so worth it, they never steal each others food and don't eat anything until they are given permission.

I also recommend going to a good puppy school, and making sure each dog has its own handler. I could not have handled both puppies at once. I am very lucky, my husband is as dedicated to raising these puppies as I am. Also, find a good obedience club to attend, once pupy school is over and again, each puppy to have its own handler. Training every day a little something is an absolute must. Labradors are so intelligent and need as much mental stimulation as physical, probably even more than physical when very young. They also need a dominant role model so that they know their place in your house, or they will soon take over and rule the roost.

Like I said, I love my dogs and luckily for me, I have a very supportive husband who helps out in every way and things are paying off, L&A are getting quite well behaved, and have had compliments about it from random strangers. But its not an easy ride. Good luck with which ever decision you take, and please come and see all of the lab owners in the lab form.

Labradors are so loving and will re-pay your love thousand fold, but please remember that there are thousand of them in pounds where families really didn't realise what they were taking on. Thank goodness you are doing the right things and asking questions about the right way to go. Once again, good luck.

Apologies for the long thread.

<QUOTE (badboyz @ 4th Aug 2008 - 06:39 PM)

Now I remember why I usually avoid the puppy forum! How rude to insult me and the very sad event that I and my babies experienced!

Good luck whoever you are - you'll need it!

Huh >

CavNrott, Badboyz posted about 2 beagle pups they placed together that didn't end well.

Hello there - well what an exciting time you have ahead of you.

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting two puppies at the same time.

We often "run on" two puppies from a litter but we separate them around 12 weeks of age.

Each baby goes in a separate run with an older bitch (which is something that I'm guessing you're unable to do).

As a breeder and exhibitor of Labrador Retrievers for almost 30 years I'd like to correct some of the advice being offered.

You don't mention where you live but I would strongly recommend that you construct a secure "outside" run / kennel area.

Labs originated in Newfoundland and they are easily able to withstand quite cold temperatures.

Two puppies together in a warm "hammock bed" housed in a draft free outside "kennel" is quite acceptable.

If the kennel were to be a 5' x 5' garden type shed (with the door divided in half to allow you to close up the top half at night) that would work well. If off that you constructed a 6ft high galv mesh enclosure / run with a concrete or paving tile floor you have the complete set up.

Secure during the day while you're out, safe and warm at night, easy to clean and hose out in the mornings.

Position it so that the run gets morning sun, daytime shade (for summertime weather) and make allowances for waste water runoff.

Good luck and have fun.

I was 10 when i First went to obedience with my pup
Actually is the same club I took my pup to 16 yrs ago
They are pets for my 2 children ages 9,11

This thread would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

So if you first went to obedience with your dog when you were 10, and that was 16 years ago, that makes you 26 now.

Your kids are 9 and 11, so my math says that you had your first child at 15, and your second at 17. :D

Now you are taking on two lab puppies at the same time and expecting your kids to look after them.

You are also "determined to get it right and have 2 well mannered well behaved new members of our family".

Hmmm. I would hazard a guess that "good judgement" is not one of your personal strengths. :p

Either you are an incredibly gifted and talented dog handler to even consider taking on two lab puppies from the same litter and expecting it to all work out (and let's not forget you also have a 9 year old and and 11 year old to look after, as well as a job to go to) , or you are completely ignorant of the numerous pitfalls that await you.

Oh, there is a third possibility.

You are simply here to stir up an argument, and this whole story is crock of ****.

You have been advised (very politely) by many here who actually DO know what they are talking about that taking on two lab puppies at once is NOT a good idea.

You appear to have completely ignored this excellent advice, and in fact, have responded in an incredibly rude and immature fashion. This includes your creation of a fake "friend" to support you on this forum.

:laugh:

Regardless of who coccosonni is and what she plans to do, it would be wise for anyone else reading this thread to take heed of all the excellent advice regarding the difficulties faced when taking on two puppies at once.

For all the reasons already stated in this thread, it seldom works out, and in the end, one or both of the puppies pay the price.

It is because of this that reputable breeders rarely, if ever, place littermates together in a home.

I was 10 when i First went to obedience with my pup
Actually is the same club I took my pup to 16 yrs ago
They are pets for my 2 children ages 9,11

This thread would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

So if you first went to obedience with your dog when you were 10, and that was 16 years ago, that makes you 26 now.

Your kids are 9 and 11, so my math says that you had your first child at 15, and your second at 17. ;)

Now you are taking on two lab puppies at the same time and expecting your kids to look after them.

You are also "determined to get it right and have 2 well mannered well behaved new members of our family".

Hmmm. I would hazard a guess that "good judgement" is not one of your personal strengths. ;)

Either you are an incredibly gifted and talented dog handler to even consider taking on two lab puppies from the same litter and expecting it to all work out (and let's not forget you also have a 9 year old and and 11 year old to look after, as well as a job to go to) , or you are completely ignorant of the numerous pitfalls that await you.

Oh, there is a third possibility.

You are simply here to stir up an argument, and this whole story is crock of ****.

You have been advised (very politely) by many here who actually DO know what they are talking about that taking on two lab puppies at once is NOT a good idea.

You appear to have completely ignored this excellent advice, and in fact, have responded in an incredibly rude and immature fashion. This includes your creation of a fake "friend" to support you on this forum.

:(

Regardless of who coccosonni is and what she plans to do, it would be wise for anyone else reading this thread to take heed of all the excellent advice regarding the difficulties faced when taking on two puppies at once.

For all the reasons already stated in this thread, it seldom works out, and in the end, one or both of the puppies pay the price.

It is because of this that reputable breeders rarely, if ever, place littermates together in a home.

:love:

Hello Cocosonni.I am new to this website,Which I may add is Fantastic.I have read all the replies to your Question.I found some great advice and some not so great off Topic Opinions.In my opinion I would Crate train them on their own in differnt rooms of the house.I like you when I first got my two lab pups had two kids a 11 year old boy and a 10year old Girl.They were great with the dogs took on responsibility,took them to training,feed them,played witht hem,Bathed them.I am reading people's opinions on Kids will lose interest,some probably will and others wont.Mine never did not for one second.My Daughter took her lulu with ther when she moved out of home at 22 :p and my son did the same with his Onyx.Who am I to judge your Children Whom I have never met.If you believe they can I believe they can.It is going to be a huge Family Adjustment,but i am sure you know that.With Work and Effort You will Have 2 Beautiful life long Companions :D .I must add I Whole Heartedly agree with Time apart from eachother,The pups that is.They need time one on one with Family Memebers,Maybe if Your Son is outside with One You are inside with one.Rough housing will Happen all dogs That live together do that.Thnkfully Mine never did any harm to eachother.Good Luck If you need any Non Judgemental Advice Private message me I would be more than happy To try and Help you out.And one more Hint I would like to give you.Ignore those Horrorstories That is not what you need to be Hearing When You are Trying To Prepare For the new Arrivals.

Hey Cocosonni. :p

Closing topic. One wonders why OP would ask question when it appears their alter ego (labsgalore) is able to answer it for them. This appears to be a classic troll scenario so to the OP, please amuse yourself elsewhere.