Pedigree Food

ClareL

Hi my partner and I just got a staffy puppy from a rescue called Pet's Haven, problem is he is a fussy eater.

We first tried him on Eagle Pack which he didn't like, then we tried Advance which he also didn't like, we tried Supercoat and it made him vomit and finally my partners Mum gave him puppy pedigree which he loves. Is it ok to feed him on that? We are completely confussed as I have only ever had one other dog and she is 19 and will only eat cat food so not a good basis to go on.

I have read some things which say it is terrible and some say it is ok. All we can work out is that it has less calcium but we can give him puppy milk for that (I know that has a lot of fat but he came from a pound where they didn't feed him so he is too thin anyway.)

Thanks for any opinions

Clare

Hi Clare,

Good on your for taking on your new pup. I have two thoughts that may or may not be of use to you.

1. I wouldn't worry too much if you are comfortable feeding Pedigree, there are a lot worse things to be feeding your dog. Sure, it's not the best thing in the world in terms of overal nutrition, but far from the worst (you are talking dry food?). Why not try mixing in some other goodies - my guys get their dry food morning or night and then get a bone or raw mince or chicken frame or sardines at the other end of the day.

2. If you only want to feed dry and want to feed a premium food then rest assured your pup won't starve to death. Leave the food out for 10 minutes and if pup doesn't eat it take it away. It will eat before too long.

Hope that helps.

Tony

As long as your pup is eating I think pedigree is OK.

If you want to put him on another brand, just try gradually changing it over (i.e replace a little bit of the new food with the old in the meals and after a few days start adding more of the new food and less of the old) and see how he goes with that.

Maybe also try giving him some raw chicken wings to chew on too, it'll give his little staffy jaws a work out as well!

Thanks for the suggestions, he is just on dry food im vegetarian so i dont deal well with raw meat/wet food but i might get my partner to give him some just to add to the pedigree

Thanks

Hope I don't upset you as I don't mean to but your dog is a Carnivore, Carnivores eat meat! It would be best to get your partner to get the meat side organised. I make my own food up, 5kgs minced chicken, 1kg minced veges, 1packet Tropical Muesli (not toasted) into that I also add raw eggs, a little olive oil and that should do your little man. I then freeze that lot up into icecream containers. If he was going to be shown there would be other additives to enhance his coat but that mixture should be fine for a pet. Also, raw chicken necks, raw meaty bones, raw chicken frames and the odd can of sardines, they love em! I avoid dry food wherever possible but do give the babes Pal puppy food (dry) and they love crunching on it during the night for a snack.

Making up your own mix and freezing it in lots is definately cheaper than the canned rubbish (which is only useful when a dog is constipated, cleans them out real quick!! :wink: , I do use the chicken rolls(VIP puts out a tasty one) for when we are travelling and sometimes at home when I run out of the other but they definately prefer my mixture. If I occasionally get a fussy eater I have given the dog a Periactin tablet about an hour before their meal time and it seems to stimulate them into eating. Saying that I also only give the dog maybe 15minutes to eat and then take it away, otherwise they end up even worse in the fussy department. Good luck with your babe.

personally i would find a quality food and stick it out, when the dog is hungry enough it will eat anything. but constantly changing food based on the dog 'not liking it' you will end up with a dog that will only eat the thigh meat off roast chicken cooks and one particular IGA supermarket (... My nannas dog).

Pedigree is filled with cereal, grain, sugar, salt and food colouring. its junk food and that is why your dog probably likes it.

I agree that Pedigree is junk food, but if your dog is eating then it's better than nothing! I think, however, you should persevere with a better diet. I'd do as others advice. Start mixing a better kibble in with the Pedigree. Do it slowly — 90%/10% for two days, 80%/20% for two days, etc, etc. Only offer the food for a certain amount of time, then remove it.

I found (and still find) this website really useful. If you learnt to read labels you'll never have to rely on manufactures' claims again.

You own a dog, so you're going to have to get used to handling meat a bit. I do sympathise — raw meat grosses me out sometimes and I'm an enthusiastic carnivore — but there it is. Start off with a few meaty bones or chicken wings that you can just give to the dog without handling much. There's no need to go the full BARF diet, but some meat is inevitable.

Having said all that, don't feel guilty. You're doing great, you rescued a dog, you going to some lengths to find out what's best for it to eat. Good on you.

Crysti_Lei, that's hilarious about your nanna's dog!

mmm I can imagine the poo smell

remember you will need to feed what he was on first THEN do a gradual change. Pedigree is not a long term option especially for a Staffy and their skin - the vet clinic I worked at, you never had to ask what food the dog was fed you could SMELL them walking in the door. Pounds are not rolling in cash so he probably grew up on pedigree puppy.

new puppy, new home, upset tummy from stress and then you added new food. Give him what he wants, pick a good dry food (try Royal Canin med breed puppy) and do a gradual change over 2 weeks. start with 10% new 90% old and move it slowly over a couple of weeks until you have weaned him off.

chop and change you are guarenteed to make him ill and then fussy because he associates new food with feeling sick

Crysti_Lei, that's hilarious about your nanna's dog!

did i mention that this dog was also morbidly obese??

To the OP, if your kids would not eat a balnced home cooked meal, but would happily eat KFC, would you find this an acceptable diet?

Edited by Crysti_Lei

Our Sierra (Rhodesian Ridgeback) was very fussy to begin with, so to help her get used to dry food we mixed in a tablespoon or 2 of cheap tinned food to flavour it and then lessened that over time until she would just eat plain dry food.

Both my dogs love cheap dryfood (supermarket brands) and I also refer to it as junk food!!

But they are both on premium as I feel it is more balanced for them.

Just my opinion

Thanks again for all the advice, he actually wasn't feed at all while at the pound as they were going to put him down and we have no histroy before that, and the shelter only had him 2 days.

I understand people saying he is a meat eater but we really want him on dry food (it has meat in it but can't smell it so i am ok with it) as thats what he is going to get probably 99% of the time as that is what I can feed him (I know people think its weak saying I dont like raw meat but I haven't eaten meat since 7 years of age and I won't even stay in the house when my partner cooks it as it makes me sick) He will get some but can't come to rely on it.

I will probably start mixing some advance in and see how he goes. Thanks for all the advice again!