What To Give To Soften Motions

Jibba

I have 2 chihuahuas here rescued from a puppy farm, and they dont eat the dry food soake dor unsoaked, only the meat, which is chicken mince. Now both have extremely hard pooh's they even squeak when doing them and they immediately crumble once out, i just cant think what to give to soften it for them.

I would probably be trying to get a bit tougher with them in regards to getting them onto some good quality kibble. I would also be giving them chicken necks rather than mince - really bad for their teeth just to be eating chicken mince. How old are they?

Paraffin oil will soften whatever is already in their system and make it easier for them to pass it.

That said I wouldn't feed dogs pet grade chicken mince on its own, it's nearly all bone. Add blended raw vegies to the mix.

Paraffin oil will soften whatever is already in their system and make it easier for them to pass it.

That said I wouldn't feed dogs pet grade chicken mince on its own, it's nearly all bone. Add blended raw vegies to the mix.

And that causes the constipation.

Try more meat and less bone (eg human grade chicken mince, lamb mince) with some veges.

:cry:

I treid them with science diet tins they wont touch it, one of them is extremely thin, th eother is fine, they are both two having had 4 litters, the poor things, ill try them with necks and some vegies, ill get some in town in a min when i go in.

Try more meat and less bone (eg human grade chicken mince, lamb mince) with some veges.

I'm not quite sure which part of my suggestions you're saying causes constipation :cry:

Are you saying that adding blended vegies to the chicken mince causes constipation? Or are you saying giving the dog some paraffin oil causes constipation?

Neither is correct. It's the pet grade chicken mince without added vegies that causes constipation.

I'm not quite sure which part of my suggestions you're saying causes constipation :cry:

Are you saying that adding blended vegies to the chicken mince causes constipation? Or are you saying giving the dog some paraffin oil causes constipation?

Neither is correct. It's the pet grade chicken mince without added vegies that causes constipation.

I think Arty is just trying to point out that pet mince, being nearly all bone, is what causes constipation.

:(

LOL!!! I was agreeing with you! Pet chicken mince on it's own is nearly all bone (the bolded part) and too much bone causes constipation :)

Sorry, I was just too lazy to edit your whole post.

We're on the same page :):cry:

LOL!!! I was agreeing with you! Pet chicken mince on it's own is nearly all bone (the bolded part) and too much bone causes constipation :(

Sorry, I was just too lazy to edit your whole post.

We're on the same page :):cry:

I misunderstood LOL :cry: I said earlier on I'm having comprehension probs today :)

All the suggestions are good but I think you need to dose with paraffin first to soften the hard, crumbly poop that they're trying to push out. That will take care of the immediate problem, then you can institute the good advice given by everyone.

They sound like they need a loving temp home with chi rescue, or a chi breeder to make them better! Im sure there would be one in Vic ??Someone who cares about this breed & knows this breed enough to make them better! :cry:

:( Then you can get the pei foster rescue girl that you have put into boarding kennels( when the chis came) out, to spend the time with her that she needs to make her a better pet for her new forever home :cry:

steamed mashed pumpkin and yoghurt. I have also tried psyllium husks (soaked and made into a paste, added to food). Both methods work and I tend to see "smooth" soft poo within the next 12-24hrs. :cry:

If feeding raw pet chicken mince you need to feed 75% mine to 25% vegies( mine get carrots, celery, alfafa, parsley and garlic put through the blender with their chicken mince).

If problem continues perhaps a Vet check is in order to see if something like blocked anal glands is not the culprit and hence causing discomfort when they go to poop

To fatten them up.

"Satin Ball" recipe for dogs

This recipe is for dogs who desperately need calories and need to put on weight, but who have no appetite. It sounds yucky, but when these are done they are really appealing, even to me.

In my experience, this is a kind of "last resort and hope" food that many sick dogs will eat.

Mix all ingredients (like meatballs). I shape them like thick hamburgers rather than balls because they store easier in the freezer and thaw faster. Freeze in serving portion size. Nothing is cooked -- all ingredients are uncooked RAW and "Satin Balls" are served raw.

This recipe for Little Dogs (1/10 of full recipe) would be a good test to see if your dog will eat them before you make the substantial investment in ingredients of the half or full size recipe. See Notes below about the Total cereal, oats, wheat germ and vegetable oil.

Satin Balls for Little Dogs -- or to try out recipe on your dog to see if he will eat it.

1 lb cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1 and 1/3 cups Total cereal

1 and 1/2 cups uncooked oatmeal

1 raw egg

6 Tablespoons wheat germ

1 package Knox unflavored gelatin

2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

2 Tablespoons unsulphered molasses

Pinch of salt

Satin Balls Half Recipe -- recommended amount to mix up

5 lbs cheap hamburger (for high fat %)

1/2 large box Total cereal (about 6 cups cereal)

1/2 large box uncooked oatmeal (about 7.5 cups oats)

5 raw eggs

1/2 of 15oz jar wheat germ (about 2 cups)

5 packages Knox unflavored gelatin

5/8 cup vegetable oil (this is pretty close to 2/3 cup)

5/8 cup unsulphered molasses

pinch of salt