Puppy Chewing Lead, Any Suggestions?

Bellatrix

My 12 week old puppy has had her collar on for just over a week now and has taken to that very well. I introduced the lead today and all she wanted to do was chew on it. I know this is pretty common. I tried to distract her, let her walk around freely with it, played with her and gave her treats but nope, still wanted to chew it. Even when Im holding it up high she still manages to get a hold of it. Ive heard you can use bitter tasting stuff on the lead to stop them chewing but I was just wondering if any one has any better suggestions??

My now 12 week old boxer did the same thing for the first 2 days when I introduced her to the lead last week. It was a playful chew so I think it was more a novelty to her at first. I only put the lead on for a few minutes at a time at the beginning gradually leaving it on for longer each time trying to keep it out of her reach. We she started walking beside me then I let it drop lower as she got better and now she doesn't even notice it. I'v had 2 Cavs who did the same thing and had the same result in a couple of days.

I have also heard it may be a dominance thing too so she needs to know who is boss if she is acting belligerent toward it and you but I don't think that would be the case with your beautiful little pup. If you also make it a fun time when she is on the leash then she will learn to love it. She should grow out of it without the need to use any bitter tasting stuff.

Good luck.

Edited by boxerbob

bitter tasting stuff are good and it won't hurt her.

holding the lead up will only encourage her to jump to get at it.....at this stage it's a game that she is enjoying and the more you pull it away the more she will play.

if she grabs the lead, grab the back of her collar and yell "no" or "uh" at her in a very loud and intimidating voice. you need to do this like you really mean it and chewing on the lead is the worst thing in the world she can do.....this will also help establish your leadership.

Are you actually taking her outside or just putting the lead on at home?

My pup, now 7 months, still sometimes has a bit of a chew on the lead when I first put it on, but as soon as we are out the door she forgets all about that and focuses on our walk and everything she sees, smells, and hears outside.

<if she grabs the lead, grab the back of her collar and yell "no" or "uh" at her in a very loud and intimidating voice. you need to do this like you really mean it and chewing on the lead is the worst thing in the world she can do.....this will also help establish your leadership.>

Missymoo, just my opinion, but that seems a little extreme for a baby pup. If I did that to my bubs they'd end up fearing the lead. I like to keep it all positive and the lead a good experience.

<if she grabs the lead, grab the back of her collar and yell "no" or "uh" at her in a very loud and intimidating voice. you need to do this like you really mean it and chewing on the lead is the worst thing in the world she can do.....this will also help establish your leadership.>

Missymoo, just my opinion, but that seems a little extreme for a baby pup. If I did that to my bubs they'd end up fearing the lead. I like to keep it all positive and the lead a good experience.

agreed. if i had been in any way aggressive like that Koda would destroy the leash when she saw it on the table. i just made the lead as fun as possible and she came to love it.

My boys both did it for a very short while, I got a light weight chain lead problem solved!! and only had to use it a few times and they never bothered again!!

Barb

edited to add, I agree with some of the others using intimidating methods and loud voices on a young pup will have adverse effects and the problem could become worse. Not sure if this would work but ive heard it can, when training young pups n a lead put two on them and let one just drag and the other in your hand when they start to pull or tug on the one inyour hand drop it and pick up the other one. Like I said Ive never used thismethod and it could go the other way the pup may like the one the ground better!! Maybe this has also been suggested, let chew but ignore and just dont go anywhere till the chewing stops!!

another good thing if your pup is food oriented and being food reward trained is make your walk real exciting show puppy you have food and if she is doing the right thing and walking along nicely treat her. I find if I dilly dally and the pups lose interest that canbe where the lead looks more fun that the actual walk. anything positive is worth a try.

Edited by tlc

I would use a bitterant spray, that will let the dog learn not to bother. The only reason I would not use vicks is the poor little dog will have a stinking lead right next to its face and cannot get away from it - vicks is an irritant to eyes and mucous membranes as well.

Spray and ignore it, the pup will get over it in no time when it cops a mouth full of yucky taste.