Dalmatian Health Issues

Annedal

It all began when my 10yo Dalmatian got allergies where the hair around his eyes was rubbed off from him rubbing

his face on the ground. I took him to the vet and he was given a antibiotic and a antihistamine tablet to take. That was about 2 weeks ago and he has improved but is still itchy. I was also told to wash him in Pyohex(not easy to wash around his eyes).

Now my 8mth old Dalmatian has been scratching like mad and has lumps under his legs(front & back) and some on his tummy. I washed him in the Pyohex but he still scratches as before.

Well, i have had a headache for a few days now trying to figure out what is causing these allergies. I have done both dogs with Frontline Plus. When i get to the shops next i am going to buy Quit-Itch and wash both dogs in it(helped when older dog had a hot spot).

Looking around the backyard yesterday i found what looks very like Wandering Dew. What could i give to the dogs if it is this weed that has caused their allergies?

I feed both dogs on Advance. I was a bit worried re the 8mth old dog and the dog food as the one he gets has a fairly high protein content.

Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

To add to all this I have a 13 week old baby(human) to look after(I am a single parent) and we both have been sick. Also my baby came early and i have not got a new car yet(only have a panel van) so at present i have many issues. :) :D :)

The first thing to do is remove the wandering jew from your yard, it's a common allergen in dogs. If the itching and scratching is really bad a short course of macrolone may be necessary, but you must get rid of the plants if they're the cause of the allergic reaction.

I wouldn't worry about the protein content of the Advance, as long as your dogs are a sensible weight, ie. you can feel their ribs without pressing and they have a waist, they should be fine.

Edited by Miranda

Definitely get rid of the wandering jew.

But I can not recommend enough adding an omega oil blend to the dogs diet, plus washing with a medicated shampoo. Dr Bruce's Omega Oil Blend for Dogs or Mega Oil from your local health food shop. I started with giving my boy 50 ml a day - expensive yes but a dramatic change in skin and coat condition after only two bottles.

Long term - perhaps take to a holitic vet or Dermatologist! :)

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Even one sprig of Wandering Jew can set off a bad reaction. I'm hearing that vets are not telling people what this looks like sometimes and just treat the symptoms, not the cause therefore.

Other plants can affect dogs' skins as well but check for WJ first.

White shorthaired dogs seem particularly susceptible to allergies.

My vet advises adding fish oil supplements to their diet, I've found the Pyohex and Malaseb are OK but not necessarily the best, they can dry the skin out. I use an expensive shampoo that also soothes - you get it from the vet, smells lovely - can't think of its name but it isn't cheap. It's not medicated though.

I use an expensive shampoo that also soothes - you get it from the vet, smells lovely - can't think of its name but it isn't cheap. It's not medicated though.

Not sure if it is the one you are thinking of but I love Aloveen

Even one sprig of Wandering Jew can set off a bad reaction. I'm hearing that vets are not telling people what this looks like sometimes and just treat the symptoms, not the cause therefore.

Maybe someone might be able to take a photograph of Wandering Jew?

Belinda

It has the little white flowers on the ends of the stems like chickweed, but it's hard to tell what size the leaves are, if they're small I'd say that's what it is. Some time ago someone posted some excellent photos of wandering jew, but I've done a search and can't find them. I actually hope that it is wandering jew because if it isn't the OP is back to square one.

Just wanted to tell you to keep your chin up and don't stress about the small stuff :D

I remember being a single mum with a tiny one and the dogs stressed me out as I worried about them so much. Just concentrate on you and get better!! :rolleyes:

Grab some samples of any suspicious plant and take it down to your local nursery. Someone there will definatly be able to identify what it is and advise you on how to get rid of it.

Go and grab some Claratyne (human antihistamine) from the chemist. Give your dog some.

Maybe consider changing your dogs from a dry food diet to a fresh food one.

Thanks all for the advice. Greatly appreciate it.

I have some Claratyne here but am a bit worried about giving it. As the old dog is on tablets already i would only be trying it on the younger dog.

I was going to take them to the vet today but i had nobody to babysit. I will try and take them tomorrow to the vet.