Limited Slip V's Martingale

Just wondered if there are any benefits over limited slip to a martingale collar?

I think there are more benefits with a martingale than a linited slip.

You have more "tolerance" with a martingale, you have to be much more precice with a limited slip or it comes off.

oh and there is much more choice available in martingales :laugh:

annieK

:laugh: Martingales are "limited slip". As opposed to something such as a check chain or for that matter, a head collar, which are infinite in so far as how much they could tighten.

ETA : Ok ... sorry, I was in my "technical" mind mode. I think by "limited slip" you mean collars that are similar in fashion to check chain styles, but that can only 'check' to a certain point?

I would prefer the martingale because IMO the pressure applied is more evenly dispersed.

Edited by Erny

Apart from what I've mentioned above (ie the pressure of the correction is dispersed more evenly), IMO the martingale has more available correction than what the "limited slip" collar (pictured) would have.

I'd still go for the martingale, although I prefer the ones with the chain (for the part that forms the triangle).

I prefer martingales for the reason that Erny mentioned (more even correction pressure).The ones with some chain are good for dogs which don't pay enough attention to all fabric ones, but the annoying part is having to get the size right every time you put them on. So for that I like the black dog ones with the buckle (as well as one I had made in leather by someone else with a buckle).

Yeah, that's what I noticed with mine. The chain one is just too big, it slips down and ends up sitting on Lil's shoulders, so it's actually more annoying if it's loose, I think (I'm assuming this is the case, I notice she does a big shake sometimes when it's loose, like, to get it off her back).

But I bought that not realising how small her neck was (she's always smaller than I imagine).

How come you prefer the chain martingales?

Because it is possible that some dogs will pair the sound of the chain with the correction. Not that I use this 'pairing' to any great degree, but it can be handy for very soft and/or nervous/sensitive dogs. I think to, because I'm used to it.

Kavik : So for that I like the black dog ones with the buckle (as well as one I had made in leather by someone else with a buckle).

Make sure that the buckle component does not rest on the dog's throat/windpipe once fitted, though.

Because it is possible that some dogs will pair the sound of the chain with the correction. Not that I use this 'pairing' to any great degree, but it can be handy for very soft and/or nervous/sensitive dogs. I think to, because I'm used to it.

Kavik : So for that I like the black dog ones with the buckle (as well as one I had made in leather by someone else with a buckle).

Make sure that the buckle component does not rest on the dog's throat/windpipe once fitted, though.

Erny, I have a girl who is a bit nervy on lead with new dogs, do you think and chain martingale would help her? I had never thought of using one and none of the trainers have mentioned it. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated :love:

I normally use one of these martingale collars with a chain but a trainer i'm using does not allow corrections but I asked if I could use a soft martingale as I was worried about the dog slipping her collar and he said I could so was just checking into what was around and came across a limited slip as well

post-6329-1219627955_thumb.jpg

Edited by 4 Paws

:love: That makes perfect sense.

Erny, I have a girl who is a bit nervy on lead with new dogs, do you think and chain martingale would help her? I had never thought of using one and none of the trainers have mentioned it. Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated :laugh:

I'm sorry Monah - There's only so much help that can be given over the internet and these are the sort of questions that really can't be answered without knowing and seeing your girl.

I normally use one of these martingale collars with a chain but a trainer i'm using does not allow corrections but I asked if I could use a soft martingale as I was worried about the dog slipping her collar and he said I could ...

Ummm ... the difference to the dog being?? :laugh:

I don't understand the point of your trainer in the instance you describe 4 Paws. If I understand you correctly, one collar is webbing, the other is leather with a chain (the chain is not the part that makes any connection with the dog). Either way it is still a 'correction' (and the same/similar correction, at that). So I don't understand why your trainer would suggest a soft martingale is ok but a leather one with chain (or for that matter, a leather 'limited slip' with chain) is not.

Perhaps I have misunderstood your post?

he just said a flat collar and i asked would a soft martingale be ok as i was concerned about her slipping her collar so the soft martingale was purely for safety so the dog does not slip the collar as opposed to a flat collar that she could slip out of more easily.The martingale will not actually be used for any corrections as such

Edited by 4 Paws

Yep second one is a martingale.

The first one you posted, tightens in one direction/spot only (uneven pressure), like a check chain, except it doesn't tighten all the way as a check chain does. The second one tightens evenly (even pressure) around the dog's neck.

Does that make sense?