Yet Another Worming Thread

Hi there clever DOLers.

I have searched for and found threads about worming, but I'm still not sure of the best regime to implement. Can anyone help me with these questions?

1. Everyone recommends the expensive brands, but I've seen cheaper wormers in the supermarket that kill the same parasites. Are the more expensive brands more effective, or are they just charging more for their reputable name?

2. Should I use and all-wormer plus a heartwormer and a flea product, or a product like Advocate plus another wormer to target tapeworm? It kind of annoys me that there isn't an all-in-one.

3. How do you do it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Should I use and all-wormer plus a heartwormer and a flea product, or a product like Advocate plus another wormer to target tapeworm? It kind of annoys me that there isn't an all-in-one.

Sentinel Spectrum is a once-a-month beef flavoured chew that covers heartworm, intestinal worms (including tapeworm) and fleas :) And although it seems pretty expensive, if you compare the costs of buying all those products individually, it actually works out cheaper per month. It also comes with a 100% guarantee from the manufacturer, Novartis.

Sentinal spectrum will cover everything and is easy to use. Cheaper brands are cheap for a reason so no, I would not reccomend putting your faith in something like Exelpet (which says you should worm your dog every 6 weeks if you dont want it to have hydatid tapeworm or whipworms) and they use cheap ingredients in their products (have a read of the flea spot on for dogs)

If you like Advocate then buy a Droncit tablet. If you are not around livestock then worm the dog with a Droncit tablet every 3-6 months. Praziquantel (the drug that kills tapeworms) cannot be administered in a liquid form, simply oral. Drontal tablets also guarentee ALL intestinal worms are done for 3 months (including tapeworms) whereas the cheaper brands cannot (if you have a close look at packaging and websites you'll see the difference)

Hi,

Advocate (3 Doses)

Puppies & Dogs up to 4 kg $33.40

Advocate (6 Doses)

For Dogs 4 - 10 kg $65.60

Advocate (6 Doses)

For Dogs 10 - 25 kg $70.50

Advocate (6 Doses)

For Dogs over 25 kg $77.40

Advocate (6 Doses)

Kittens & Cats up to 4 kg $47.30

Advocate (6 Doses)

For Cats over 4 kg $49.90

They also have Advatage, Advantix, Revolution, Sentinel, Heartguard, Intercepte,r Fronltine, Wormer and collar Tick products.

BTW, I have not fond 1 Product that does everyting and I found Advocate very good and use it myself. Every 3 month I give a Drocit Tapeworm tabletas well.

The cheapest place I found is www.pricelesspets.com.au

Hope this helps

Cheers Petra and felix

I use sentinel spectrum as it is easy, cheap and effective. I love the way it covers everything.

I traidtionally buy the next size up and halve the tablets when I give them. This reduces the cost quite considerably.

I use sentinel spectrum as it is easy, cheap and effective. I love the way it covers everything.

I traidtionally buy the next size up and halve the tablets when I give them. This reduces the cost quite considerably.

I'd never thought of doing this, are they easy to half accurately?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay rather than starting a whole new thread I am just going to ask in this one..is the only difference between Sentinel Spectrum and Sentinel Interceptor that Spectrum does fleas as well as the intestinal worms?

Sam is due for worming at the end of this month and I really need to get something in for him before I forget.

Interceptor does not protect agains fleas, only heartworm and intestinal worms whereas Spectrum covers the lot.

Interceptor would probably be more suitable for those who also need to guard against ticks or who prefer to use other flaa control methods or who need to kill existing fleas on the dog.

Specturm doesn't kill the fleas, it effectively sterilises them so they can not re-produce. This method of preventtion is better used when fleas are under control and in minimal numbers.