Male Dog Barking To "work Hard" For The Female

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone has heard of the below.

A friend of mine in Sydney has a friend that called in a behaviourist to help her with a constantly barking male shepherd. She also has a desexed female shepherd. The behaviourist said that because there is a female dog in the same household they could not help them nor would anyone else because the male is "trying to work hard" for the female.

Has anyone heard of such a thing - a male dog barking because there is a female dog in the house?

Appreciate any feedback!

:laugh:

wow. there's a new one.

Depends when the male is barking - is he guarding the female from the owners? Of just being territorial (fence barking etc)

constant barking sounds like a combination of boredom, breed trait and lack of control/training by the owners. Time to get a new trainer in :laugh:

... behaviourist said that because there is a female dog in the same household they could not help them nor would anyone else because the male is "trying to work hard" for the female.

:laugh: Not heard of this either and would need the trainer to provide a bit more explanation, if there is any, to make sure what was said hasn't been misunderstood.

... behaviourist said that because there is a female dog in the same household they could not help them nor would anyone else because the male is "trying to work hard" for the female.

:laugh: Not heard of this either and would need the trainer to provide a bit more explanation, if there is any, to make sure what was said hasn't been misunderstood.

My friend swears she has quoted the Behaviourist correctly.

:laugh:

Never heard of this either. Are the dogs run together or separately? If the dogs are kept separately could it be the male trying to get in with the female? frustration from being separated? That is the only way I could make sense of that idea :laugh: even so you could work with it.

hmm sounds strange - im sure there are thousands of male/female household out there that can attest to the fact that it is not necessary (mine included!)

in fact my girl barks more than my boy (just coz shes more reactive/higher drive to the outside world)