Lead Walking - Or Rather, Lead Sitting ...........

Walkies!

My four month old male Golden Retriever is absolutely diabolical on a lead. My previous three pups have all been tuggers, ie they just plough on ahead and pull like mad. I can cope with that.

However, this latest arrival is a 'sitter' most of the time and it's me that has to do the tugging - he often just will not move once he's on the lead (yet is a bundle of energy when he's off the lead and has a very good appetite). This happens wherever we are - at home, on a path, own the lawn, the side of the road, etc.

Tugging him doesn't of course achieve anything. I've tried encouragement, I've tried treats, etc - treats work for a few seconds then he gets wise to the fact that you're just using them to get him to walk and he sits down again, then won't move for further treats. He's fine with anyone new (ie the trainer when I take him on his weekly training class) but I think this is only down to the novelty factor, ie new person = excitement.

I should add that he's good/very good on non-walking commands, ie sit, stay, down, leave, etc. It's just lead walking where he's stubborn as a mule. As mentioned, he is very active when off the lead therefore it can't be a health problem of any kind.

Think I'll try putting the lead on him during meal-times, just to get him more used to it.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks

Edited by Walkies!

I have had a couple that do this. When they just sit there I stand & wait if they wont walk after I have tried saying walk a few times & ignore them. I wont use treats or tempters. They always get bored & move. Longest was about 7 minutes. Its boring but a puppy wont sit there all day. Lots of praise when they move their butt. Trying not to get impatient is the hard part.

Your pup sounds pretty freaked out. Try and imagine things from his perspective - he's never been out in the big wide world before and there would be a confusing and overwhelming amount of sights, sounds and smells. Some pups would just get over excited and scamper everwhere. A more timid sort would freak out and freeze.

My Bonnie was hopeless on the lead at first and she was 10mo when I got her. She was very over whelmed and stopped at times and looked behind her constantly for the boogie monster :laugh:

With time and patience they get better - she loves her walks now. I like Christina's advice re patient waiting...I don't think tugging on the lead is a good thing, as that would increase his sensory overload and would be pretty unpleasant.

Edited by Miss Helena

I have had a couple that do this. When they just sit there I stand & wait if they wont walk after I have tried saying walk a few times & ignore them. I wont use treats or tempters. They always get bored & move. Longest was about 7 minutes. Its boring but a puppy wont sit there all day. Lots of praise when they move their butt. Trying not to get impatient is the hard part.

Nice idea, will try that, thanks.

Your pup sounds pretty freaked out. Try and imagine things from his perspective - he's never been out in the big wide world before and there would be a confusing and overwhelming amount of sights, sounds and smells. Some pups would just get over excited and scamper everwhere. A more timid sort would freak out and freeze.

The thing is, he even does it when on the lead in the back yard, ie where he normally plays, etc.

If he's also doing it in the backyard what about trying a long piece of string as a lead and just let pup drag it around for a day or so for short periods (under supervision of course), maybe with you picking it up a couple of times and then dropping it, but not making a big deal out of it, making it a normal boring thing to do. Change the weight to a heavier string/rope/lead over some days doing the same thing. You could also incorporate the idea of stopping and waiting if he still won't move using a light lead. Some dogs are lead smart and maybe at the moment your pup has developed a negative view of the current lead for some reason.

Edited by Jigsaw

If he's also doing it in the backyard what about trying a long piece of string as a lead and just let pup drag it around for a day or so for short periods (under supervision of course), maybe with you picking it up a couple of times and then dropping it, but not making a big deal out of it, making it a normal boring thing to do. Change the weight to a heavier string/rope/lead over some days doing the same thing. You could also incorporate the idea of stopping and waiting if he still won't move using a light lead. Some dogs are lead smart and maybe at the moment your pup has developed a negative view of the current lead for some reason.

Thanks. The thing is that he's so variable - sometimes he's fine on the lead, sometimes he gets a case of 'the sits'. :)

• 3 weeks later...

My elkhound used to do the same thing when he was a pup. He would sit down and refuse to move and look like the cutest pup ever!!! Not even freshly roasted chicken could move him (his trainer tried that). And he's not a timid dog at all. Just extremely stubborn like all spitz breeds. But soon he realised walking is more fun. Now he pulls!!! :(

post-25771-1221536778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anu

How much on lead exercise has he been getting?

Hi i also have the same problem with my 5 month old staffy she will sit sometimes even laydown when i try to walk her on the lead.Have taken her to puppy class that didnt help they suggest i just keep walking and that she would have to follow ( i dont think this is ok ) plz plz plz can i get some help :(

I was lucky with most of my puppies - They all walk well on leads except one.

Chihuhua named Roxy would not walk on the lead. Continuously dragging her claws/legs/bum body on the ground. She used to do ANYTHING to get out of walking.

The thing I did was brought my other dog for a walk with her and she got the gist.

You could maybe bring a friends dog on a walk with yours (my pups tend to copy each other) and maybe he will copy.

I like the idea of waiting and also the trying a lead on for a while idea.

Good luck! let us know how you go!!

LOL must be in the name my saffy has the same name ROXY lol :(

Must be. Is your staffy also stuck up and stubborn? My roxy girl is - she is so naughty and bossy (even though she's the smallest and youngest out of my dogs -they are living with my dad, but they are my gorgeous girls-). She'll get in their kennel which they like to share because it's cold, and she wont let them in all day until she's cold... Little brat.

She has however learnt to walk on the lead but becuase she's so small - she doesnt go too far