Sudden Weight Loss

My parents chi was 2.2kgs. The other day he was weighed and he was 1.8kgs. He is skin and bone, spine showing. Has an occasional off day now and then, wont eat his meal. This has been the case all his life, and never dropped weight, always put it on.

I'd say such a sudden drop in weight in such a small breed wouldnt be that good. My big guys drop weight in a few days and put weight on in a few days but this guy is tiny. He is nine years old turning ten in October. He eats small dog bicky's with half a tin of mydog, the tiny little tray tin. he is a pig and is eating well currently.

Any thoughts?

They are thinking of having bloodwork done at vets.

Perhaps he needs some richer, higher quality food? Is he kept Really Warm at night? As in completely covered over and snuggley? Smooth coat Chis feel the cold something chronic.

Sounds like a vet visit is in order for sudden weight loss like that. Bonnie's breeder has a couple of chis who are that size, but that is how they always are, just tiny and thin. Bonnie is a whopping 3.6 to 4 kg...... :D :D

I hope that the vet can help. My Daisy lost a lot of weight very suddenly, and our vet did an investigation. Blood, urine and other tests, xrays. She was diagnosed with the start of heart failure. She was put on meds that worked wonderfully, and lived to just on 17yo. She was 10yo when diagnosed. Over time her meds needed to be increased, and a sign of that was that she would start to lose weight even though she was eating well. I really hope that you find the answer for the little darling. Good Luck. :)

I also have a little chi Daisy who has been worrying me with weight lately. She used to be a little chunkybutt at 3.6kg but she has dropped to 2.8. She used to have saddlebags on her hips and now the bones stick out. Losing 0.8kg is an enourmous emount for such a little dog. She was still eating but I sometimes had to stand over her and keep reminding her to eat. I decided I needed to get her checked out and so took her to the vet for a complete blood workup. Full count etc, liver and thyroid function tests etc and it all came back normal. I'm none the wiser about her weight loss but at least there's nothing nasty going on. I now up her food as often as I can. She's eating, she's playing normally and she doesn't seem stressed. I am putting it down to her burning a bit more fule trying to keep warm in the winter (she's now living in a coat) and also down to a bit of pining. My old Dane was put down earlier this year and Daisy was very attached to him.

This is my first post and I don't want anyone to think I'm a know it all, but please get your little one checked.

We lost one of our dogs on Tuesday to renal failure and we didn't even see it coming. He was also 10 years old, and had recently started losing weight. He'd had several teeth removed 12 months ago and didn't eat the amount of biscuits he used to, and considering he was overweight anyway a little bit of loss was a good thing. He had been to have his teeth cleaned again in July (the vet was happy with him), and she came out to vaccinate them all only a few weeks ago (again all was OK apart from a slight heart murmur), and he suddenly fell ill on Sunday night with vomiting. We took him to the vet on Monday morning and she gave him something for the vomiting and also some antibiotic, but he deteriorated on Monday night so we took him back again first thing Tuesday morning. The vet did bloods and a urine test and put him on IV fluids, and by 2-30pm he wasn't responding so we had to make the decision to have him put to sleep. He passed away while I was cuddling him, and it's one of the saddest days of my life.

Our family is devastated and we are all still crying, and this is why I am begging you to have you little one looked at. If you can prevent something please do it.