Drive Training

The two Balabanov dvds are "Clear Communication", which basically outlines the method and compares it to other methods. And "The Game", which goes into using it to teach obedience exercises for trialling Schutz.

One reason why his methods are better for using on dogs that are not full on high drive (as required for the Flinks/Leerburg method, is the use of the positive "out". This builds drive alone, and keeps them ready to go again.

If I used an aversive "out" on my dog, she would switch off.

Thanks heaps! I did watch the beginning of the "Clear Communication" but didn't get to that part :)

Can't wait to watch it now :noidea:

Does it remain your choice at when the exact time to let go is? Or is it his?

He needs to be the one to want to let go with a passion........but only when you say so, in order to get the "chance" of having another go.

In other words, dont let the dog go out of drive, in order to have another go.

(method fully explained and demonstrated in the dvds) (You also need both dvds)

Does it remain your choice at when the exact time to let go is? Or is it his?

He needs to be the one to want to let go with a passion........but only when you say so, in order to get the "chance" of having another go.

In other words, dont let the dog go out of drive, in order to have another go.

(method fully explained and demonstrated in the dvds) (You also need both dvds)

I only have the set of "clear communication" :noidea: hopefully it will be enough to get an idea.

Hmmm not sure - he chooses when to let go.

I think I need to get this DVD!

Hmm I think you really need to be in command and tell him when to let go. It will only build up the drive in the long term.

(at the beginning they might not like it, but when they realize that the sooner they let go the sooner the game may restart they are much more keen)

sorry to hijak, Kavik have you tried working in your front yard before moving out to the park, or on your driveway/footpath and then gradually move to less familiar and more distracting environments.

In answer to the OP's question - I like using a tuggie much like dogdude suggested (thanks for that by the way, I need to make myself a new one) or a ball on a rope. It does depend on the dog though, some like to tug and others are quite happy just to capture the ball and bounce around with it for a couple of seconds. My girl started out just being happy with a capture but gradually wanted to tug more and more so I switch from a ball to a tug and she loves it!

Yep tried the front too - today I tried getting him excited with it, one capture then run to the front just outside the gate, and he wouldn't look at it :D , then tried again in the back and he wouldn't do it there either :rofl:

Then I gave up on that and did some agility with his squeaky (set up jumop and tunnel) :rofl:

I have a tug that squeaks and still they won't tug outside of the backyard.

I think it really has something to do with me and my body language. I know Kaos has heaps of drive. He loves his squeaky and will work for it anywhere and will tug in the yard. I know I must be doing something wrong with my technique with tugging or drive building.

Oh well, if it doesn't work with these guys, the next one I am definitely going to SchH club straight away for some help!

I tried the orbee ball with Darcy at the drive training workshop with Steve but he just wasn't interested. Hes really good with food drive though.

I worked on it with him at home and then later on at agility and now hes got his 'Agility Duck' which is his drive toy that he goes wild for!

Kavik, perhaps try doing nothing with him for a few days then take him to the front yard and see if he'll tug. If not put him away for another day and try again, repeat the process till he is so frustrated from doing nothing that he'll be more than happy to tug in the front yard. Basically give him no other choice because that's the only way he'll get any sort of fun, you can then repeat this process in other areas as you build him up to the level you want.

That may work Seita, I'm just not sure I really have the patience for that :laugh:

I get to do training when the baby is asleep, it is my 'me time' and fun for the day, not sure I'm going to deny myself that fun just cause he won't tug. I'm working on heaps of stuff with Kaos at the moment - weaves, contacts, send aways, trying to get him to follow my directions when his toy is in another direction.

That, plus he gets really noisy if he doesn't get work!

While I would like him to tug, it is not the end of the world if he doesn't, at least there is one toy I know he will go crazy over no matter where we are.

Diesel is another story :laugh: