Sick Puppy?

macdog3

Since we bought our puppy home a week ago he has had runny poos.

The rescue place we got him from said he has had them for a couple of days and she thought it may be becuase he found a kangaroo leg on the farm he was on...

Last night he was up every two hours with runny poos and this morning i noticed, what looked like a little bit of blood in it.

I am taking him to the vet thi safternoon...should i be worried???

Hi- diarrhoea is a worry in puppies, as they go downhill rapidly.

It can be simply from change of diet too rapidly, or it can be a very serious symptom.

definitely see the vet!! Don;t forget to tell the vet exactly what pup was fed at the rescue, and since you have had him, what worming treatment he has had, and what vaccinations he has received.

A puppy from a rescue may have picked something up en route- eating a kangaroo leg on teh farm seems an unlikely cause- our puppies eat all sorts of dead things, and don't seem to suffer!

It would have been more responsible for the rescuer to not rehome a puppy with diarrhoea :thumbsup:

best of luck with him...

Desexing can occasionally increase the risk of intestinal upsets in pups if there is also a whole lot of oter stressful things in their little lives ie: going to a new home etc.

The stress of changing environments, travel and new people can cause a drop in their immune system, leaving them more open to infection/virus/bacterias to take hold.

Do you mean that the rescue only had the pups for a few days before you picked up your pup?

The blood in the stools could be just from trauma (diarrhoea) or it could be the start of something much more sinister.... Parvo Virus has an icubation period of 7-21 days... which would put you right in time for a display of symptoms.

Please let us know how you go at the vet.

Do you mean that the rescue only had the pups for a few days before you picked up your pup?

I think the OP means the pup had runny poo for a few days before he was picked up by macdog3 and the rescue lady said it was due to eating a kangaroo leg he found on the property.

Macdog3, I hope the pup is OK and this isn't the start of something nasty. Get well vibes are being sent his way.

I think the OP means the pup had runny poo for a few days before he was picked up by macdog3 and the rescue lady said it was due to eating a kangaroo leg he found on the property.

Macdog3, I hope the pup is OK and this isn't the start of something nasty. Get well vibes are being sent his way.

Correct and no he has not been desexed.

So you got a sick, undesexed pup from rescue? :thumbsup: That's not good at all, and certainly not the way a rescue should run.

I hope your little pup recovers well :rofl:

I can not fault the rescue place as all the dogs seemed in great care and the rescuer was a lovely person. The rescuer has already paid for his desexing and microchipping, we just need to take him in onc ehe is 6 months old.

He seems like a little battler so im hopeful he'll be fine.

I can not fault the rescue place as all the dogs seemed in great care and the rescuer was a lovely person.

Who gave you a pup with diarrhoea.

Why wait until 6mths for microchipping or desexing??

Desexing should have been PRIOR to leaving the rescues care (after pups tummy complaint was completely resolved)... same with the microchip....

Did you take him to the vet?

I can not fault the rescue place as all the dogs seemed in great care and the rescuer was a lovely person.

Who gave you a pup with diarrhoea.

Why wait until 6mths for microchipping or desexing??

Desexing should have been PRIOR to leaving the rescues care (after pups tummy complaint was completely resolved)... same with the microchip....

Did you take him to the vet?

He is going to the vet this afternoon

Can provide a mini update on my boys situation...

He wasnt interested in eating anythign this morning but has just recently eaten all his biscuits form breakfast and then some... He also hasnt had the runs since 7.30 this morning... Hopefully htese are positive signs and perhaps he just a bug or an upset tummy... fingers crossed.

Edited by macdog3

Altho feeding a puppy with diarrhoea isn't a good idea - It is a good sign that he has an appetite :thumbsup:

Hopefully the vet will be able to help.

*It is the usual protocol to withhold food for about 24 hrs to give the gut a rest- then just feed easily digested ,bland food, like boiled chicken and rice, for a while....

Hi guys, can report that the littel fella is doing well know... we were that excited when we seen his first 'normal' poo sunday morning...

He is on soem anitbiotics - vet thought it may be an intestinal problem bu tnothing too major...

cheers for all your concerns