Which Vegies Are Ok To Blend Up For A Dog?

jenz0r

I have started steaming then blending up some vegetable slush for my puppy but I've heard that some vegie's are not good for a dog's health (ie corn, broccoli, onion...)

Can anyone pls recommend which vegies are ok to mash up into his food? Currently I'm just using a frozen bag of mixed beans, peas, carrot etc...

thanks muchly!

I have used chinese vegetables--the green leafy ones. I do not have a grinder now so I freeze the veges to break down the cellulose before I feed my boy. I tend to go for deep green ones. Pumpkins (steamed) are also one of my favourites. Actually it depends on what's on special. I will buy in bulk and then leave some for my own cooking.

I avoid cabbages and legumes (beans) to a large extend because they cause a lot of gas. :thumbsup:

I have started steaming then blending up some vegetable slush

thanks muchly!

Skip the steaming they will lose their goodness. Just blend them raw!

I use anything green - brocoli, bok choy, green beans, celery, spinach... plus the odd carrot

basically anything that happens to be in the fridge. Fruit - apples pears in small quantity.

I then add yogurt and a raw egg to the days ration and mix in with the raw meat.

It's just about variety over time.

BARF SLOPS INGREDIENTS & METHOD

Things I always include:

- container of alfala spouts

- bunch of spinach (roots cut off)

- 1 to 2 green capsicums (stalk cut off & seeds out)

- 1 to 2 red caspsicums (stalk cut off & seeds removed)

- bag of carrots

- bunch of celary

- 4 zuccinis

- 3 to 4 oranges (peeled)

- 1 pumpkin (seeds removed)

- 2 to 4 apples (pips taken out)

- 2 to 4 bannanas (peeled)

- 8 to 10 eggs (whole including shell)

- flaxseed oil (approx 250mL)

- kelp (approx 100g)

What else you can put in:

- bunch of silverbeet

- turnip

- squash

- sweet potato

- 2 to 4 pears

- half to 1 pinapple

- brussel sprouts

- brocoli

- cauliflower

- bag of beans

- Apple Cider Vinegar

- Vitamin C

Chop up then process up in blender/food processor so that things turn to slops. Put each blender batch into a big bucket. Usually leave the eggs & flaxseed oil for things that don't blend very well like the pumpkin and carrots. Ingredients should fill up a bucket. Mix bucket with big ladel till all mixed through then put into take away containers & freeze untill needed.

oh thanks - i only steam them because i thought raw vegies might seize up the blender lol

I actually use an old juicer - and use the pulp for the mush and add a bit of the juice.

I tend to juice the carrots, celery & fruit first so I can drink some of it :) cos I'm not that keen on spinach/cauliflower juice myself!

Edited by anniek

oh thanks - i only steam them because i thought raw vegies might seize up the blender lol

I actually use an old juicer - and use the pulp for the mush and add a bit of the juice.

I tend to juice the carrots, celery & fruit first so I can drink some of it :)cos I'm not that keen on spinach/cauliflower juice myself!

Haha I made the mistake of trying it one day - never again!

When i had a juicer, I love to juice beetroot and apples. I usually give my dog some of the beet pulp---since he likes it. One day, I saw him pee red. I cried my way to the vet only to be asked "did you give him beetroot"?. :laugh: I didn't know the beetroots could stain my baby's pee.

hey what blenders do you guys use? i bought one about a year ago but it didnt last very long now looking at getting another one.

http://www.oo.com.au/Multi_Purpose_Blender...cc_P8145C93.cfm

I bought this recently. It's a bit small and you have to be patient but it mushes raw veggies very very well.

Blenders generally aren't for liquifying solid objects, but this works and I can't afford a shiny food processor right now.

When i had a juicer, I love to juice beetroot and apples. I usually give my dog some of the beet pulp---since he likes it. One day, I saw him pee red. I cried my way to the vet only to be asked "did you give him beetroot"?. :laugh: I didn't know the beetroots could stain my baby's pee.

Ha ha...this happened to a person I know - he was petrified when he saw what was in the loo, but the doctor nearly wet himself :laugh:

When i had a juicer, I love to juice beetroot and apples. I usually give my dog some of the beet pulp---since he likes it. One day, I saw him pee red. I cried my way to the vet only to be asked "did you give him beetroot"?. :) I didn't know the beetroots could stain my baby's pee.

hehe that sounds like something i would do! did the vet say beetroot was ok for them to eat though?

When i had a juicer, I love to juice beetroot and apples. I usually give my dog some of the beet pulp---since he likes it. One day, I saw him pee red. I cried my way to the vet only to be asked "did you give him beetroot"?. :) I didn't know the beetroots could stain my baby's pee.

hehe that sounds like something i would do! did the vet say beetroot was ok for them to eat though?

The vet told me beetroot is alright for dogs. I read so much about it being an antioxidant and blah blah blah. But the red pee really gave me a mini heart-attack. I still give him beets every now and then. But I guess it's a rather sweet root so I dont give him a lot of those.

http://www.oo.com.au/Multi_Purpose_Blender...cc_P8145C93.cfm

I bought this recently. It's a bit small and you have to be patient but it mushes raw veggies very very well.

Blenders generally aren't for liquifying solid objects, but this works and I can't afford a shiny food processor right now.

I take it back. I just broke the bloody thing. Both attachments. I'm trying to see if I can replace them but if not am looking at second hand food processors.

I only broke them because I am stupid but am hesitant to recommend something that breaks that easy.

If you've already ordered it let me know and I'll explain how I broke it so you don't make the same mistake!