What Does Everyone Think Of Eukanuba?

kristin_e102

Hi everyone,

I have been feeding my pup Eukanuba dry food for about 1.5 months now because the vet recommended it - is this a good dry food?

He was having a meal at night as well but I have just put him onto dry food only as he didnt seem very hungry. He is a 17 week old lab...

Just after some advice to make sure Im on the right track..

Cheers,

Kristin

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kristin, my fellow lab lover,

I did quite a lot of food research when I got Martha. Dog Food Analysis was by far the best website. This page, in particular, teaches you how to read dog food ingredients list, which I have found invaluable. I feel I can make an informed decision myself now, rather than rely on marketting or buying the most expensive food.

Dog Food Analysis rates food from one to six stars, six being the best. You don't say which Eukanaba you're feeding, but if it's large puppy food it only gets a one-star rating. I must say I looked at the ingredients list once and thought it seemed really overpriced for what you get.

I feed Martha Orijen Large Puppy food, which gets a six star rating on Dog Food Analysis and seems to cost more than our food does! There's a thread on Orijen dog food in the Health and Nutrition there, umm... here. Because it's full of meat, it has a very high protein content, and some people don't like feeding a puppy (particularly large breeds with potential joint problems like Labs) high protein food because it may accelerate the growth of their joints and cause problems in the future. The studies, however, show this to be a result of feeding a pup too many calories and/or too much calcium, rather than too much protein. It's probably worth doing your own research if you want to switch to Orijen so that you can at least satisfy yourself you're doing the right thing!

I also feed Martha chicken necks, wings and frames a couple of times a week and she has a weekly tin of sardines. There's a lot of knowledgeable raw food DOLers round here who might be able to give you advice about raw food diets.

In short, my advice is to switch, but do a bit of research before deciding what to switch to.

By the way, I wonder why he isn't hungry? What was he on before? Perhaps he just didn't like it. Are you no longer feeding him at night?

Guest june.andnovas
I feed Martha Orijen Large Puppy food, which gets a six star rating on Dog Food Analysis and seems to cost more than our food does!

does martha get orijen as her main diet, plus chicken necks etc on the side? asking as im going to have my pup on orijen soon and want to have a basic diet plan set out, then make changes when I get the puppy.

does martha get orijen as her main diet, plus chicken necks etc on the side? asking as im going to have my pup on orijen soon and want to have a basic diet plan set out, then make changes when I get the puppy.

No, the chicken isn't on the side. Orijen is her staple and I divide the it out over three meals. Every second or third day replace the evening meal with chicken. I've never been quite sure how much chicken equates to how much Orijen though! Generally, I give her one wing or three necks or a frame.

Orijen's a great food. Love those small poos!

I think the most important thing is matching the right food to the right dog.

I have two terriers who have been tested as highly atopic. They are on Eukanuma and goat flaps. They are both OFF all medication (been thorough hyposensitization and antihistamines with both) and have been for nearly 4 years. So its not a diet that causes allergy issues in all dogs. I see no need to change things when they are so well on it.

Oh, and their annual blood tests look fabulous. They are 10 and 13.

One was fed (another major brand dog food) at a kennel accidentally and developed bloody runny diarrhoea for 24 hours from the sudden change. Does this mean (the other major brand dog food) is bad?? No - but the sudden change was no good. I know several dogs on this other brand that look fabulous on it.

Turtle's on Eukanubah - so far so good :thumbsup: It's bloody expensive though in the qantities he has :thumbsup:

if you switch to a higher quality food you will feed less and the cost will even out - Euk is full of low quality fillers and cereals

have a look at this website also:

www.dogfoodproject.com

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

I have tried Elukanuba for my poodles, than changed to Royal Canin. That I am feeding last 18 months and let me tell you that all my dogz looks and feel in their best.

Royal Canin has a special prices for registered breeders - just get on their website, find a shop near you who stock it and ask for special breeders price, they can order you lge bags - that is a lot cheaper to buy in bulk specialy for lge breeds, they have a special food for special breeds, you will find labrador retriver specialy design food for that breed.

I hope that is use to you :thumbsup:

funny note my Mum in prepareing for her new puppy( a golden retrever) got her "puppy book" from the breeder they had a large list of good dry food foods and a extensive raw food plan

but out off all the dry food they said that purena pro-plan (LBG) seemed to be the best for their dogs

I think every dog is different some do really well on some food others not so much

I tryed everything but could not get my dog to touch EPH , Purena pro-plan she seems to do good on

Tayza seems to be doing well on it though? So is this a sign that its the right food for him? I am a little concerned about the cost though as it is pretty expensive... A few of my friends say that Eukanuba is good for a puppy but they dont need it as older dogs and they feed Supercoat which is a lot cheaper but I have still heard good things about it - what does eveyone think?

Botheration - sorry for the delayed reply have had a hectic weekend! Im not sure why he isnt eating as much. I told the vet last time he was there which was a week ago and he said that some dogs self regulate (pretty rare in labs but it does happen). Perhaps I was feeding him too much as he was on Eukanuba and a nightly meal of meat and vegies as well as bones and pig ears. But the vet checked him over pretty thouroughly and said there was nothing wrong with him! So I guess he is just an irregular lab lol!

Thanks for the great links Im going to check them out then make a decision from there.

Cheers,

Kristin xxx

Our GSD was brought up on it but I found she got the runs constantly at about 9 months and it made her very hyper so we switched her to Advance and are now trying Proplan...

Its just what works for your dog, and what you can afford I guess also....

my MIL who is a goldie breeder feeds it, and her dogs thrive on it, I feed my two (staffy x and a westie) on it, and they staffy x does very well on it... Not too sure about the little one (westie) yet, hes not a big eater, so Im going to see if its the biscuits.

Sarah