Puppy Eyes And Ears.

kleintjie

I have a almost 12 week old Cavalier puppy. Her eyes get a clear gooey discharge, she had this since I got her. She has more on some days than others. I took her to the vet who checked her eyes and he said they were fine. It's not red, she doesn't seem bothered by them at all. I've been cleaning her eyes (or the outside of them) every day or second day with some salt water (as recommended by the vet). I thought it was going away but when I got home there was quite a bit of discharge in the corner of her eye.

Does anybody know what this might be? Should I be worried or take her to the vet again?

Both her ears were a little inflamed as well. He treated her for ear mites with Revolution. I was worried because her ears became smelly so she is also getting an ointment that is antibacterial, antifungal and some cortisone to help. How long does Revolution take to work if it is ear mites? Her ears still seem itchy because she's scratching at them every now and then.

She also bites at her front paws and she appears a little itchy. I'm not sure if she's allergic to something. I've give her one bath with Aloveen that I got from the vet and I rinsed it all out. She's eating puppy Advance for breakfast and lunch and for dinner she gets some chicken mince with fresh veggies like carrot.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! :laugh:

Guest june.andnovas

she may (most likely) be having reactions to the advanced and the wheat fillers that it is full of.

start planning out a better diet for her and i bet her itchies will go away!

If she has inflamed ears that can transfer to eyes.Teething can also do horrid things & cause redness & sore eyes.

You can buy liquid gel tears from the chemist & use that to increase the lubrication at this time.

Ear mites are easily fixed & but are a pain.

Diet can play a part but there are also breed specific needs that one must be aware off

off the advance and onto something better. Royal Canin small breed puppy or Eagle pack small breed puppy they are wheat free. I think the RC is a little better on protein and oils as well as palatability so give it a try. Change the food gradually over a week and keep up with the fresh chicken as well.

The vet should scrape the ears - if they dont find a new vet. They should get a sample and put it under the microschope to find out exactly WHAT is causing the problem. If you kill off everything in the ear you run the risk of more infections down the road.

I'd be a bit worried about a vet that gives a 12 week old puppy cortisone.

The discharge sounds like it could be conjuctivitus. I'm suprised the vet didn't give you some medicated drops for this. Try cleaning the eys with a warm moist tea bag. I have used chamomile tea bags before but others have used black tea bags.

Remove all grains from your puppies diet. The chicken mince you are giving her must contain bone as well as meat. Chicken shops and alot of butchers sell minced chicken carcusses which they call puppy mince or dog mince.

off the advance and onto something better. Royal Canin small breed puppy or Eagle pack small breed puppy they are wheat free. I think the RC is a little better on protein and oils as well as palatability so give it a try. Change the food gradually over a week and keep up with the fresh chicken as well.

The vet should scrape the ears - if they dont find a new vet. They should get a sample and put it under the microschope to find out exactly WHAT is causing the problem. If you kill off everything in the ear you run the risk of more infections down the road.

I bought her Eagle Pack Holistic small/medium breed puppy food and she doesn't want to eat it at all by itself. I'll have to go exchange it on the weekend. I'll get some of the Royal Canin and give it a try. I broke some of the eagle pack kibble into smaller pieces and gave it mixed with the chicken mince and she ate it. I got her some chicken necks but I got really nervous watching her eat it. I'll try again when she's a little bit older.

Her ears are all clean now, she's only scratching at them every now and then. They don't smell at all anymore and there is no wax buildup. The directions for the ear meds is to use it until it's all finished. I hope it's all cleared up and won't return again! :thumbsup:

Her eyes are very moist, the vet said it's clear and not green/yellow at all. He examined her eyes and said they were fine. Her eyes aren't red at all, just the clear discharge. Maybe it's the hot dry weather?

I think it's where we live as well. It's really hot and dry. Maybe that can make her itchy as well.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Erika, I have Lucy on royal canine mini puppy kibble and she loves that. She never ate her advance, I think she prefered the smaller kibble size and the taste! Give it a go, glad to hear Evie's ears are better!

Edit to say, cut the chicken necks up in smaller pieces, I started Lucy on them at 12 weeks and she has them all the time now. Just supervise her but the smaller pieces shouldnt cause any problems. She would benefit from it for both nutrition and her teeth and gums.

Edited by Bellatrix