What Age Should A Puppies Ears Stand Up By?

stacyk

I have had a search through the archives but have been unable to find relevant topics.

Hi I am looking for advice on what age should I wait for ears to stand up on my puppy.

When should I should consider taping them?

Also would love to hear recommended methods of taping.

My puppy is 18 weeks old and has had 1 ear up for 2 weeks. The second ear flops half way up. I would like to show her so do not want to risk missing the timing to tape.

Thanks in advance.

Stacy.

My puppy is 18 weeks old and has had 1 ear up for 2 weeks. The second ear flops half way up.

My elkhound had the same thing. I consulted the vet, who wasn't sure. then I consulted the breeders who said that some dogs from a particular line have this issue, and the sometimes the ears take about a year to fully go up. But it's not a problem. I didn't tape my dog's ears. They went up by themselves at about 5 months.

...then I consulted the breeders who said that some dogs from a particular line have this issue, and the sometimes the ears take about a year to fully go up.

Thanks Odin-Genie. I consulted the breeder and both parents ears stood up no worries. I might find out how the other puppies from the litter are going.

Ears tend to go a bit crazy for a little while :thumbsup:

All of my dogs' ears were up and down for a while, but stood up by around 6 months or so (from memory Zoe's took the longest - they are the biggest and the thinnest).

it can depend on a lot of things.

Does your pup get a lot of bones because they can help?

Also if you are that concerned ask your breeder to tape them, because generally by 6 months if they are not up they wont be

She gets bones once a week but also has lots of chew toys (not quite as tasty as a bone :)

I am holding off to see how it goes and it looks like it is starting to go up the top half is now pointing forward instead of down. So hopefully in a few more days it is up (fingers crossed).

Thanks for everyones input.