Ear Lump

My dog has a lump on his ear (flappy bit), and I don't know what it is....

It's hard and not cyst like and at first I thought it may be just scar tissue but now it seems that he is developing one on is other ear as well.

I've looked up about ear hematoma's but it seems that they are more swollen like rather than a solid hard lump.

Would anyone have any idea?

I felt our other dogs ears this morning and she seems to have a tiny little lump that feels the same as well, so maybe it's nothing to worry about?

Vets will be the next port of call, but I thought I'd check in here first incase anyone had any ideas.

My dog has a lump on his ear (flappy bit), and I don't know what it is....

It's hard and not cyst like and at first I thought it may be just scar tissue but now it seems that he is developing one on is other ear as well.

I've looked up about ear hematoma's but it seems that they are more swollen like rather than a solid hard lump.

Would anyone have any idea?

I felt our other dogs ears this morning and she seems to have a tiny little lump that feels the same as well, so maybe it's nothing to worry about?

Vets will be the next port of call, but I thought I'd check in here first incase anyone had any ideas.

I would get it checked. We had a similar thing happen with Louie, turned out to be a dermoid sinus burrowing into his skull through the middle ear. That said, our case was literally one in a million so I doubt that is your problem - but get it checked just in case.

An aural haematoma is similar to a blood blister, for want of a better description, and so you are correct in saying that a hard lump would not be this.

If it tiny it is prbably just a pimple or simialr and nothing to be concerned about. If it grows, spreads or moves then visit your Vet.

Thanks Pug Hugger, I don't think it sounds like the same thing that Louie had, well I hope not by the sounds of it!

Pug Rescue Sydney, hhmm doesn't seem like a blood blister type thing either but it's bigger than a pimple size - about 8mm long and it's probably 2-3mm wide and raised up by about 3 mm.

I might try and get a photo and see if that helps any.

I was probably a bit naughty last week as I poked it with a pin to see if it had any fluid in it, but just a tiny drop of blood (from the pin prick) came out.

Thanks Pug Hugger, I don't think it sounds like the same thing that Louie had, well I hope not by the sounds of it!

Pug Rescue Sydney, hhmm doesn't seem like a blood blister type thing either but it's bigger than a pimple size - about 8mm long and it's probably 2-3mm wide and raised up by about 3 mm.

I was probably a bit naughty last week as I poked it with a pin to see if it had any fluid in it, but just a tiny drop of blood (from the pin prick) came out.

I doubt it is what Louie had - my point is get it checked asap. We thought we were dealing with a hematoma, turned out that if we had left it much longer it may have penetrated his brain as there was a fluid build up both ends. Sometimes time is very important - especially in such a sensitive area. Of course I am overly vigilant after our experience so please feel free to note me as paranoid!

I am sure you pup will be okay - please let us know

I doubt it is what Louie had - my point is get it checked asap. We thought we were dealing with a hematoma, turned out that if we had left it much longer it may have penetrated his brain as there was a fluid build up both ends. Sometimes time is very important - especially in such a sensitive area. Of course I am overly vigilant after our experience so please feel free to note me as paranoid!

I am sure you pup will be okay - please let us know

Thanks, yeah I know what you mean, sometimes the smallest problem can turn into something massive before you know it. Thanks, I think I will book him in asap as you just never know, I'd rather be over paranoid than complacent!

Looks like an irritation that has gone wrong.

How long has it been there? Have you been bathing it in salty water or something like Physohex? Or putting any cream on it?

If it's been there for quiet a while it would be something I would get the the vet to check out and do fine needle biopsy on ro make sure it isn't something nasty that is growing.

Looks like an irritation that has gone wrong.

How long has it been there? Have you been bathing it in salty water or something like Physohex? Or putting any cream on it?

If it's been there for quiet a while it would be something I would get the the vet to check out and do fine needle biopsy on to make sure it isn't something nasty that is growing.

Thanks Puggy Puggy :rolleyes: No I haven't put anything on it as it's not really a sore as such. We've only had Claude for one month and it was there from when we got him, but I initially only thought it was a scar or something.

I think for peace of mind I'll take him up to the vets and get it checked out - can never be too sure.

I would have just thought it was a skin tag, but if in doubt - see a vet. :rolleyes:

Thanks, as above, think I'll take him to the vets and see what they say :(

Two things spring to mind for me.

Sebaceous cyst or staph infection.

Many moons ago I had an American Cocker who would get pimple-like lumps on his ears after he was clipped. Turned out it was a staph infection in the hair roots.

Two things spring to mind for me.

Sebaceous cyst or staph infection.

Many moons ago I had an American Cocker who would get pimple-like lumps on his ears after he was clipped. Turned out it was a staph infection in the hair roots.

Don't think it's a cyst...

Can you tell me a bit more about the staph infection??? Is it easily treated?

Just wondering if I should get some pet insurance BEFORE I take him to the vets....... :rolleyes:

It was a recurrent thing. He never completely recovered from it although it didn't really affect him much other than the fact that he had lumpy ears whenever he was clipped. We just kept treating it with Ilium cream prescribed by the vet and it didn't really do much in the long run.

If it is a staph infection then cleaning it with an antibacterial wash like Physohex (human acnea facewash bought from chemist or Priceline) and putting on an antibacterial cream should help.

Maybe try this for a week if you see no improvement, or it's getting worse, then your vet is your best bet.

It was a recurrent thing. He never completely recovered from it although it didn't really affect him much other than the fact that he had lumpy ears whenever he was clipped. We just kept treating it with Ilium cream prescribed by the vet and it didn't really do much in the long run.
If it is a staph infection then cleaning it with an antibacterial wash like Physohex (human acnea facewash bought from chemist or Priceline) and putting on an antibacterial cream should help.

Maybe try this for a week if you see no improvement, or it's getting worse, then your vet is your best bet.

Thanks guys :rolleyes:

Will try the physohex and see if that makes a difference, can't hurt!