Recovery From Brown Snake Bite

deltron

Hi... haven't been here in ages, but I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a dog survive a brown snake bite.

Charlie, my gorgeous little 5kg Tenterfield Terrier got bitten by a Brown Snake on Sunday. He recovered and came home from the animal hospital, but this morning he had bloody diarrhea, so he is back at his usual Vet's (Monash Vet) and is on a drip.

The Monash Vet says he might need a second vial of anti venin.

He is a little fighter, and he has come so far already. I am mentally exhausted and this is another blow as I was told he would be fine by the Vets at the Animal Hospital. We have been super careful with him and have not let him out of our sight since he came home as he is on strict rest.

Anyone been through this? Did a similar thing happen to your dog, and what did you do to aid your dog's recovery? I'm sitting here with my stomach doing flips, waiting until noon, which is when they said I could call back.

I'm so grateful they could save him, and I am so glad my boyfriend and I are in the financial position to pay for his treatment (it's already cost over $4000)

I guess I just need some hope, so I can be strong and let Charlie know that he will be OK.

Here is the back-story:

• Sunday 4:30pm: He was on the lead, walking to the car in Jells Park (melbourne) in short grass
  • He yelped, I looked down, and he was limping. I suspected a bee sting, as he is allergic. No sign of a bee or snake.
  • I scooped him up, he started vomiting.
  • Ran to the car, I put him on the ground, he defecated and slumped over.
  • Got him in the car, and he emptied his bowels. Non responsive pupils and shallow breathing, he couldn't move or see
  • 5pm: Got him to the vet.
  • They suspected ratsack or a snake
  • He starts vomiting and defecting blood, and his blood is not clotting.
  • They ran a snake kit which came back negative.
  • Vet starts giving blood transfusions & treating for ratsack
  • Sunday 10:30pm: He is getting worse. They decide to try the snake antivenin as a last hope, and it works.
  • Vet confirms it being a brown snake because of the symptoms and how quickly the venom acted.
  • Monday: He starts slowly recovering
  • Monday night: He eats some chicken
  • Tuesday afternoon: He gets released and comes home with us.
  • Tuesday night: he eats some more chicken and is very cuddly but in good spirits
  • Wednesday 5:30am: still in ok spirits, but looking a bit unwell. Bloody diarrhea

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh God Deltron- i am so sorry to hear this. I haven't had any experience with such a thing but wanted to give you best wishes for Charlie's speedy recovery.

Were there puncture marks? I have never seen snakes at Jells Park- how scary.

:rolleyes: oh no, that is horrible and I can only imagine the stress you are under at the moment.

Sounds like you have a good vet there and that Charlie is being well looked after at least .

It's scary thinking that snakes are already about and at Jells Park that is a hugely popular area!

I can't help you with anything other than to offer you and Charlie some hugs and wish him a speedy recovery.

Take care,

BDL

Oh God Deltron- i am so sorry to hear this. I haven't had any experience with such a thing but wanted to give you best wishes for Charlie's speedy recovery.

Were there puncture marks? I have never seen snakes at Jells Park- how scary.

Thanks, I appreciate it :rolleyes:

No puncture marks. A snake wasn't even on my 'radar'... it was only when the vet mentioned it that I realised it was a possibility.

Apparently Brown snakes are common at Jells, as I rang them to let them know what happened. They have signs up about it... but I didn't see any. BTW it happened halfway between the the kiosk and the lake, near the BBQs... lots of people and kids around. I'm kind of amazed it didn't bite me or my friends.

A friend of mine had a dog bitten in Queensland earlier this year, she knew it was a brown because the dog had killed the snake. She rushed the dog straight to the vet and she received antivenin within 20 minutes of being bitten, she stayed overnight at the vet and went home the next morning and has made a complete recovery. However she was warned that a dog can appear to recover and then relapse, luckily this dog didn't and was ok. So a dog can recover from a brown snake bite although it can depend on how much venom is injected and the size of the dog can also be a factor.

Monash are excellent vets and your dog couldn't be in a better place. Fingers crossed that your little man is ok.

Did the vet perform CKL testing? If I were you I'd be ringing up today and requesting it. It indicates how much muscle damage there is from tissue breakdown. I'm surprised they sent your little bloke home so quickly. 2 of mine were envenomated by a redbelly - 10 days intensive care. After that it took a good 9 months for recovery in which time they urinated and defecated blood, had seizures, lost all of their hair and one had what we thought was the onset of necrosis at the puncture site. When he comes home you are going to have to keep him pretty quiet for about 6 weeks. If that means crating him in a low lit room - do so. No running around - his lungs are going to be laboured.

All the best. Dont hesitate to pm me if you want anymore advice.

A friends chihuahua was bitten. He ended up with symptoms like a stoke and couldnt walk very well and he couldnt move his neck so he looked like he had a stiff neck, so he had to be carried everywhere for awhile. It took along time but he made a full recovery

Did the vet perform CKL testing? If I were you I'd be ringing up today and requesting it. It indicates how much muscle damage there is from tissue breakdown. I'm surprised they sent your little bloke home so quickly. 2 of mine were envenomated by a redbelly - 10 days intensive care. After that it took a good 9 months for recovery in which time they urinated and defecated blood, had seizures, lost all of their hair and one had what we thought was the onset of necrosis at the puncture site. When he comes home you are going to have to keep him pretty quiet for about 6 weeks. If that means crating him in a low lit room - do so. No running around - his lungs are going to be laboured.

All the best. Dont hesitate to pm me if you want anymore advice.

Thanks Raz, really appreciate it. I just rang the vet, they say he is spritely but there is still blood in his poo. They are running urine tests and testing for snake toxin and liver function. I have to call back at 2pm, and i'll ask then about the CKL. I'll definitely PM you with any questions I have.

I'm also going to ask them to write down EXACTLY what I need to do for my dog. We didn't even get briefed about it as we left the Vet Hospital (AEC Blackburn RD), which was unusual. I felt the Vet Hospital was a bit cavalier about his recovery when they released him.

I'm glad to hear your dogs pulled through - sounds like you went through hell with them.

I'm going to keep him very quiet, which will be hard as I think he spends about 3 hours of an average every day jumping and harassing the neighbours dog :rolleyes:

I'm lucky that my boyfriend and I are able to take turns working from home so he will always have someone keeping an eye on him.

OMG poor baby. Hope he recovers fully.

I so wont be going to Jell's Park with the puggies now.

Do you have a crate you can keep him in? Maybe there are some vitamins and minerals that would be good to give him to help him recover.

Yep - we have a crate and he thinks it's pretty awesome (he has to go in there before we feed him) so crating is a definite possibility.

I'll be avoiding Jells too. It's sad as it's a great park. Although, I think you're fairly safe if you stick to the paths.

Edited by deltron

Just went and visited him. He is in fairly good spirits all things considered.

I gave him a pep talk and I told him that he needs to focus his energy on passing a blood free poo for me.

He told me "mrrrrrrorrrr" which I think is dog speak for "get me out of here"

Edited by deltron

Poor little boy, it must feel like a worst nightmare becoming reality :)

Brown Snake venom causes neurological symptoms (weakness, ataxia, respiratory paralysis) and coagulopathy which can result in severe hemorrhage. Renal toxicity is also possible. Happily muscle damage is nearly non existent in brown snake envenomation. Most victims of snake bite need at least 2 vials of snake antivenom early in their treatment as most snakes will deliver more than one lethal dose in a successful envenomation.

Prognosis is generally considered good with early treatment and ongoing supportive care.

I hope he is starting to feel better now.

Best wishes for your dog's speedy recovery. I believe large quantities of Vitamin C can help detoxify the body after snake bite.

Do you have any linkies to scientific studies on that please Choc? Personally I wouldnt touch that without knowing how much damage there is to the little guy's kidneys.

Thanks everyone :kissbetter:

CKL is being done today, tests will be back at 7pm.

Monash Vet thinks it may not have been a snake bite! However, he has no idea what it could have been. This concerns me as I would like to know what caused his collapse, so I can keep him away from it in the future.

I'm utterly confused. I guess we will know for sure tonight. Charlie is home today and very spritely. He was chatting up a Rhodesian Ridgeback at the Vet's so he obviously is feeling more like his normal self again!