Desexing

Chia

My pup is abut 6 months old now, so we've decided it's time to get him desexed.

Our usual vet is very good but also quite expesive, and they have quoted us about $350. He's a 5 1/2 month old labrador male, both testicles descended, and probably weighs around 15 kilos (it's been awhile since he's been weighed, so I'm not entirely sure). Is $350 about the usual price? I don't have a concession card or a membership at the RSPCA, so I can't use their clinic (which is considerably cheaper). We can afford $350, but money is tight and if this is at the higher end of the price range I would like to find somewhere a bit cheaper for what is a standard operation.

Re: looking around - can I just call vets and ask them for a quote on desexing? I've never had to "shop around", so to speak, for a service like this, so I'm not sure if this is the best thing to do.

I'm in Canberra, if anyone has anywhere they'd particularly like to recommend.

Please don't let the cost of desexing stop you doing it. Save up and be a responsible pet owner..

I'm ot sure of the cost of desexing for that size of dog but by all means shop around. Do ring up other vets and ask for a quote.

The RSPCA charges ------- Dog Castration 15-30kg $209.00 ------------ for non members. Maybe book him in there.

http://www.rspca-act.org.au/pages/page141.asp

Is he microchipped?

Edited by puggy_puggy

Please don't let the cost of desexing stop you doing it. Save up and be a responsible pet owner..

I'm ot sure of the cost of desexing for that size of dog but by all means shop around. Do ring up other vets and ask for a quote.

The RSPCA charges ------- Dog Castration 15-30kg $209.00 ------------ for non members. Maybe book him in there.

http://www.rspca-act.org.au/pages/page141.asp

Is he microchipped?

I have no intention of not having him desexed, but if I can save some money I would obviously prefer too. There is a note on the RSPCA page that due to heavy demands, they are currently not providing services to non-members who do not have a concession card. Which is unfortunate, because otherwise I'd take him there in a minute.

Yes, he is chipped, has all his shots, etc. I have only just started looking at desexing because my breeder advised me to wait until he was 6 months old, as did my vet when I asked them about it when he got his shots.

I think i paid around the $350.00 mark when we got B done.

The cost went up because he was over 20kgs (and apparently, according to the vet it cost's more to put them under) and because we opted for an IV drip as opposed to the usual non IV drip. We also had bloodwork done because i was concerned about how skinny he appeared.

So basicly yes it cost us that much but only because we decided on extras. :)

Hi, I am not in Canberra (about 3 hours drive) but we had our male beagle desexed in November last year. Total cost was $199- which included an extra $44 fee which was optional- an IV drip during the op to keep him better hydrated or something- apparently speeds up recovery time...well he was drowsy for about 3 hours when we got him home then completely back to his usual self! I know at our vet, the anaesthetic prices depended on the weight of the dog- < 15kg, and >15kgs. Joker weighed 14.7 so saved us a few dollars :)

I am by no means an expert but $350 seems a little hefty? Maybe you could ring a few places for quotes. Good luck :cheers:

Hi Chia,

I've just booked my pup in for when she's 6 months old to be desexed. I was quoted 11-20kg- $250 and then 21-30kg- $300. I think it goes by weight with most vets?

To me your quote doesn't seem over the top? But I don't think there's anything wrong with calling around to compare vet fees.

We got Luger our 9 month old Boxer desexed yesterday it cost us $450, we got the IV drip, pain reilef and a small cyst removed at the same time but he only had 1 desended testical which made it more expensive. Our vet might not be the cheapest but I think the extra we pay gets our boy the BEST possible care.

I called around and got a few quotes, there are a couple of places that will do it for about $240-60, which is a much better price.

Thanks for the help. :)

Can you relay this onto your vet and see what they come up with? Always worth asking.

Bec.

It's also important to ask what is actually included in the price that you're being given - not all desexing charges are created equally.

Find out about things like fluids (sometimes included, often an additional cost), sutures (internal or external), whether a post op recheck is included, and whether additional pain relief is provided (IMHO, it shouldn't be an "optional" extra).

It's also important to ask what is actually included in the price that you're being given - not all desexing charges are created equally.

Find out about things like fluids (sometimes included, often an additional cost), sutures (internal or external), whether a post op recheck is included, and whether additional pain relief is provided (IMHO, it shouldn't be an "optional" extra).

Exactly.

I know a clinic that does dirt-cheap desexing, but they skimp on a lot of things in order to keep the price down - post-op pain relief is not included, nor is the recheck appointment. And to top it all off, they do not have nurses monitoring the anaesthetic during surgery.

You dont have to be a RSPCA member to get your dog desexed there.

I use West Queanbeyan Vet hospital (http://www.westqueanbeyanvet.com.au/). They are great and would likely charge less than $350. Which vet is charging that for desexing?

Try West Queanbeyan vets. Not sure how much it would cost, though. They were very good with a rescue dog.

Another vote for West Queanbeyan Vets - 6297 5540.