7 Mth Old Lab Still Biting

labmummy

Hi I haven't been on here in ages but really need some help.

Harry has started snapping alot. He doesn't actually bite but it is really starting to scare me, especially with the kids.

Just before he ran full pelt towards my 15mth old and snatched the dummy out of my sons mouth, knocking him flying in the process.

Harry will also snap when anyone goes to pat him. ie. as you go to put your hand towards him to pat him he will go to snap at your hand. He doesn't actually bite though and is scolded straight away.

It is really starting to be a problem and my husband wants him gone.

This won't be happening of course but need some help in how to stop this behaviour.

Hope this makes sense.

Labmummy- where are you situated?

there are DOLers on here who are excellent trainers- or we could recommend you someone nearby.

When a family is 'divided' about a dog- outside PROFESSIONAL personal help can defuse the situation, and provide an unbiased assessment.

You need some training- your husband and kids need some training, and so does Harry ;)

IMHO- young male labs - esp 'teens' are a bit like human teen boys :thumbsup: Difficult! :rofl:

at 7 months old still biting ... so when you scold obviously its not working.

keep the dog on a leash and teach him how to behave around the children. If he even looks at the child crooked you correct and remove him from the vicinity of the child. You have to show him how to be gentle as well so remember have the treats handy and PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE every time he does something right, especially if he does it of his own volition.

owners are quick to berate, yell, correct etc but do not praise or reward the dog for correct behavior. When you work, how does your attitude change under a boss who never pats you on the back but constantly picks on your faults? You give them the proverbial two finger salute and do what you want.

Get a trainer in for at least a couple of sessions.

Practice the Nothing In Life Is Free principle. Basically everything you want to do, you do and the dog comes last. He wants to eat - tough he waits and then he has to work for it. Sit, wait, look, eat. By 7 months he should be off leash control to this level when feeding time comes round. No free snacks he has to perform first. No pats unless he does something first, do NOT let him nudge or goo goo eyes you. Tempting but when you realise it means he treats your children like doormats ... well you get my drift.

No rough housing or rough play. Dogs minds are black and white, they do not have the rational of a human. We know when things are appropriate and when we can bend the rules. Dogs think - crazy OK or crazy never OK. If you have children the crazy should NEVER be ok.

Snapping - when you reach out to him never pull back your hand, he sees it as a challenging game he is winning. Let him grab your hand then you either slip your thumb under his tongue and press gently until he submits, or push your fingers down his throat and wiggle them. Gross but effective. He will learn that his actions have consequences and he will actually think before pulling stunts - is it worth it? Is it worth snapping - oooh its unpleasant so I'll stop.

Edited by Nekhbet

Thanks Nekhbet

This seems to be the only major problem we are having with him at the moment.

At meal times he knows that he cannot eat until we give the go ahead. We can put his feed in his bowl and put it in front of him and he will just sit and look at us. He knows that once we 'shake hands' with him and say 'okay' then he can eat. All of us can pat him and I can pull his food away from him at any stage and he will sit and wait. So no probs there.

He gets alot of praise when doing good things and is a really loving dog, it's just this snapping.

He isn't aggressive as such but yes the craziness needs to stop.

We will be implementing your suggestions with Harry starting from now.

Thanks again

aggression is not common, too many people immediately snap to that. If he was truely aggressive you wouldnt be posting on a forum, and true aggression in a 7 month old is rarer then rocking horse poo.

anxiety, boistrousness, out of control behaviour etc stems from training and raising. You can take the one dog and either train it to be an out of control loon or a calm, easy going animal. Dogs also change quickly so don't be afraid of stepping up the control if he needs it. He's going to be testing you at the moment anyway being a pre-teen!

Good luck hope he settles for you

Edited by Nekhbet

Just wondering whether you take your 7month old lab to obedience training. Labs really need a lot of mental stimulation, so worth it for him and for you. Agility may also be another really good outlet for him.

I think I would get in a professional trainer that can come to your house and witness his behaviour and design a program specifically for him. His current behaviour is totally unacceptable. Having a professional dog trainer in may also help to convince your husband that the dog is fine with the kids and you can get through this current behaviour problem.

Ben is not at all aggressive, but due to teething he does mouth a lot...

I have treats ready all the time, and when he sits beside me, I pat him on the head and around his mouth... If he doesn't open his mouth, while I do this, he gets a treat... He quickly worked that out..

Being 4.5 months old he's still rather boisterous with my grand children (aged 2-6), but he does not jump up or mouth them..

just one thing I forgot to add ...

when you have 1 major problem with a dog in all probability you have about 20 other things that annoy you or are not considered 'acceptable long term' behavior. Small things culminate into larger behaviors and unfortunately we, as owners, can wait until the dog is at the point of "we want it gone' when it can be nipped in the bud early. It is within canine nature to try things out and see how far it gets them. If its good, it snowballs, if its bad it goes away.

As for your husband, I see his point but this dog is a baby. Just like your son. Your own child will go through periods where he is difficult, destructive, noisy and a complete pain but you realise it is all part of the maturing process and you work on it. Exactly the same with the dog - we expect so much from a creature that will never speak english, that has no concept of the human world and doesnt even really rely on verbal communication. So we dont train it NOT to do what comes through instinct and then we punish it.

sit down with you husband and ask each other what things annoy you about the dog. Whining, scratching, stealing, nudging you, not coming when called, whatever. Write them all down and address all of them with a NILIF philosophy for starters. A trainer is a definate need but you can do some groundwork at least.

"Just before he ran full pelt towards my 15mth old and snatched the dummy out of my sons mouth, knocking him flying in the process."

is your 15 month old son trained fully??

No.You have a young pup that needs continual training ,repetition & boundaries.

7 month old pup is no different to your child.It does naughty things & it learns by what is it taught.

Have you been to obedience??

Whats its daily learning ??

Whats its daily exercise/mental stimulation??

A bored Lab is a feral lab ,