Barf Patties Or Homemade Raw?

Joshua

Hey guys...

Been searching through the forums and decided to make a complete change from dry/raw to completly RAW (with bones). :coffee:

From your experiences how good are the BARF patties? Would it be better for my dog if i were to make it myself (homemade)? :thumbsup:

I live near Big Dog Pet Foods (http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm) where the BARF patties are made so i would be able to get them fairly cheaply. Would the Barf patties as well as raw bones chicken necks, frames etc. be ok as a complete diet for my dog?

Thanks,

Joshua :cheer:

That diet would be fine for your dog, but you will have everyone jumping up and down on here saying make it yourself...LOL.

The thing is not everyone wants to fiddle around and do it themselves, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you go for BARF patties and bones and your dog is healthy and happy then you are doing the right thing.

Don't let anyone make you feel guilty for the informed choices you make for your dog.

I don't have the time and to be honest can't be bothered making my own when I can buy a BARF mix made locally which is only $6.25kg. The Dr B's BARF Patties are more expensive but I would like to get my dogs the Rabbit flavour. I feed the BARF mix, meat, offal and raw meaty bones. The dogs have never looked better. :thumbsup:

Hey guys...

Been searching through the forums and decided to make a complete change from dry/raw to completly RAW (with bones). :coffee:

From your experiences how good are the BARF patties? Would it be better for my dog if i were to make it myself (homemade)? :thumbsup:

I live near Big Dog Pet Foods (http://www.bigdogpetfoods.com/barfpatties.htm) where the BARF patties are made so i would be able to get them fairly cheaply. Would the Barf patties as well as raw bones chicken necks, frames etc. be ok as a complete diet for my dog?

Thanks,

Joshua :cheer:

I also live close to "Big Dog Pet Foods" and buy the patties from time to time as my boy really likes them,when it's warm I give them to him frozen,straight from the freezer and he loves it.I also like to keep some on hand in case I need to get someone else to feed him as not everyone is comfortable feeding raw meaty bones to dogs.

Cost wise I think they were pretty good,last time I bought them it was 48 patties for $48 and when I weighed them each patty weighed around 250g,which works out to about $4/kg.By the time I bought all the ingredients (meaty bones, meat trimmings, ground fruit and vege, heart, liver, kidney and tripe, whole egg, yoghurt, kelp, garlic, alfalfa & flaxseed) it would have probably worked out around the same dollars wise.

I haven't bought them since the product changed packaging,when they told me they were changing from the roll packs to the boxes I bought 8 rolls,just in case I didn't like the new product.

Jamie

Yep - if I could but them cheaply then I would definately feed them! I make my own - I am feeding a Greyhound and a Mini Poodle. If I fed BARF patties it would cost me about $6 /day - I do my own for about $8 / week!! Adding in the raw meaty bones will make it a great diet.

Trish :)

I don't get how people don't have the time.

Even when I fed veges I could do enough veges for a month in about 10 minutes. Then I froze the veges in little circles... Slop the mince in takeaway containers (one per day) and the entire process took maybe 30 minutes and I'm set for the month.

I never juiced mine.

I just wacked them in the blender and then fed them the veges blended. I've completely dropped veges from their diet now though and only feed meats. They only got 30grams each a day so about 2kg per month.

If you do need to juice then I guess it would take a heap longer - I intentionally chose veges that would go well in the blender :happydance2:

I also don't weigh. Somehow two scoops of our scoopey spoon fills the container perfectly (650g) then the dogs get 300g and 350g which I usually just guess. If I am feeding mince that wasn't in the containers I weigh it though.

Edited by Lord Midol

Strangely, I get a degree of pleasure out of preparing my dogs food. I juice enough vegies for a week mix in the mince, put it into recycled takeaway containers (yes, can make dinner for the dog...can't be stuffed doing it for myself. :happydance2: ) Freeze it and I'm good to go. Takes me an hour or so...but she is a only an dog and only 13kgs at that. :cry:

Then all I do is add a bit of egg and other bits every now and again. I did buy a bag of dry food for lazy days, but I found that having that on hand I had more lazy days than not. So no more emergency dry food rations in the house. :cheer:

Hi Joshua - good question. I alway worry I'm not feeding my little guy right (information overload ?).

Looked at the BARF patties, but like other posters have said, thought it was cheaper to do it myself. I cook for my family every day, so I just do TDs at the same time. I don't bother to process or juice the veges as he likes them raw, I just grate them. Or sometimes I will give him half a carrot or zucchini to chew on - he thinks its a treat :eek:

Egg and yogurt, I'm not sure of how much and how often, but he does get them now and then. But mostly he gets raw meaty bones (little ones for a little dog)

Thanks - that makes sense. My Grey gets 150gm a day and the Poodle 50gm so doing lots more than you were.

Trish :laugh:

Lmao, that does make sense. If I was feeding that much (veges) then it probably would take a lot longer!

minimum, good tip, freeze the eggs! Good to keep them distracted for a while.

Edited by Lord Midol

I too live not far from Big Dog Pet Foods and since my guys decided they hate BARF patties I have fed them the in-house mixes. The Edge ($2.90/kg) and Breeders Choice ($1.90/kg) are meat/bones/fruit/veg type mixes like BARF but I have been feeding them for several months now and no turned up noses. More like they hoover their dinner every night! I tried them on the Canine Country ones and they turned their noses up at those too.

S.

I'm with Arty Farty - I genuinely don't have the time to make my own barf patties - time's money too in my house - so I buy the barf patties and my guys love them - and given how much time it saves me I think they are fine from a cost point of view. And they are better balanced than I could get them making my own. So coupled with a varied diet of raw meaty bones, eggs, yoghurt, offal, fish, chicken frames, and veggies (frozen and raw) I think they are doing pretty well - and they haven't been to the vet all year.

So if you live near where they are made and can get them cheaply then, as AF said, 'Go for it'! :dunce:

Cheers,

Westiemum :o

Thanks for the replies guys...

After reading what you guys have had to say and by doing a bit of research I think i'll go with RAW, but i'll pick up some Barf patties to keep as back up in the freezer for emergency days when i dont have time :dunce:

Just a few questions... i've done some research on the forums and found what seem to be some great recipes for the Raw + vegies... just wondering if you guys think that suplements are needed to add to the raw.. (ie. Omeg Blend, Health Booster (multi's) :o

Also my pup is just over 4 months and is 13 kg. How much should i be feeding him daily?? (split up into 2 meals: eg. Raw+vegies for breakkie, chicken frame for dinner. eg. Raw+vegies for both meals)

Thanks alot everyone!!! :laugh:

Joshua.

Depending on your pup you might want to feed three meals a day until he's six months old then two from then on. I like to feed bones in the morning because I feed my dogs about sevenish which is too late at night to be sitting outside chewing a bone but some people like to feed them in the afternoon/evening so they can supervise after work. It's up to you. The only supplement I use is fish oil. I've been feeding my dogs a raw diet(no vegies) this year and they look great.