Trimming A Chihuahua Coat

hi everyone my oldest chi charlie who is 1.5years old loves the sun and on a day like today will lie out in the sun until he is panting (with a gorgeous big smile on his face) then he comes and lies under the pergola on the concrete where it is cooler but i think he has too much coat. (he is a long haired chi) i have spoken to people who say he doesnt need much of a trim as it would not grow back the same but all i care about is his comfort and i dont want him to be too hot this summer (last summer he still had his puppy coat so this wasnt an issue) are there any long haired chis out there that get a haircut in summertime? thanks for your help

hi everyone my oldest chi charlie who is 1.5years old loves the sun and on a day like today will lie out in the sun until he is panting (with a gorgeous big smile on his face) then he comes and lies under the pergola on the concrete where it is cooler but i think he has too much coat. (he is a long haired chi) i have spoken to people who say he doesnt need much of a trim as it would not grow back the same but all i care about is his comfort and i dont want him to be too hot this summer (last summer he still had his puppy coat so this wasnt an issue) are there any long haired chis out there that get a haircut in summertime? thanks for your help

I had a wee female long haired chi, in my avatar and she was clipped every summer, she was mainly a house dog though, but her coat use to grow out normally no problems.

If I ever get a longcoat, I plan on trimming them up a bit, mainly for maintenance/hygiene reasons. I'm personally not a big fan of dragging tails and really long culottes/feathers etc...

Bonnie gets really hot quickly laying in the sun (as she is black). She doesn't tend to overdo it though thank goodness and comes inside when cooked to perfection! I have to be careful taking her for walkies in summer and only do it first thing or early evening when the sun isn't too hot (for my own skin's sake too!!)

A correct LH Chi coat does not require clipping.

Have to agree,never meet a long chi that needed clipping off.They have very little coat as it is.

Should also add panting is normal for a dog.That is how they cool them selfs & there is a big difference between sitting in the sun & getting warm & simply being to hot when it shouldnt be.

Edited by settrlvr

I clip a few long haired chis. Personally I would prefer not to but the owners want it.

An alternative is to get the groomer to use a coat king to lessen the bulk, get any minimal knotting removed and then trim up the hocks etc. You keep the wonderful long coat but basically neaten it.

All the long haired chis I have clipped have grown back perfectly okay.

I Clip quite a few of them, never had a problem with coat growing back.

As others have said another alternative might be to strip the coat and trim up the furnishings a bit, but you say you not that worried about his coat so why not clip him. JMO. :)

My chi is a short coat and he rarely pants unless it's really hot, my understanding is that they are a desert dog and they are pretty well adapted to cope with heat. I wouldn't worry about a bit of panting, just make sure he has water and isn't distressed and he should be fine.

My chi is a short coat and he rarely pants unless it's really hot, my understanding is that they are a desert dog and they are pretty well adapted to cope with heat. I wouldn't worry about a bit of panting, just make sure he has water and isn't distressed and he should be fine.

I tend to agree re that - mine certainly prefers a bit of heat to the cold - she really seems to feel the cold