Desexed Male Marking Territory

Griffith_pound

I've had dogs my whole life, but this is the first time i have owned a male. so I'm sorry to all of those who think this question is pretty stupid!

Do desexed males still mark territory?

I have an almost 7 month old male pure english staffy. We got him at 3months after he was dumped at the pound,(we have now chaced up his papers!) 2 days after we got him, he was in the vet clinic for 10 days with quite a bad case of parvo, however, we were very lucky and he pulled thru, and is now a happy, healthy and most part very obedient boy!

He was desexed almost 4 weeks ago now, as none of the vets here will desex under 6 months of age.

He is toliet trained, usually pee's on command. He sleeps in the laudnry with our chi x and hasnt had any overnight accidents for a few months now.

Both our dogs come inside at about half past 7 and go out around hourly for toilet breaks,until bed time

Problem is....last week, we washed his rather large cushion, bought him inside...within about 10mins was digging his bed and then proceeded to pee on it....grrr!!!

all was normal again for a week..

Last night he pees on our bed, (door to bedroom is usually shut and dog usually stays on his own cushion in lounge room, but circumstances last night allowed him to sneak in and pee on bed and on floor in spare room)

This is VERY unlike him!

I figure he is starting to mature, so would this be a "marking" thing, is he just being naughty? or could there be some other explaination to our little problem? I would like to stop this behaviour befor it becomes a habit!

Thanks

Danni

My desexed 9 year old dog marks too. All desexing does is stop them siring pups.

this is a training issue for me.

I don't like them marking around the house, either inside (definitely not inside) or out on the walls etc, so they are chastised if they do it. Marking on the bed would produce insane howls of rage from me, and the poor dog would probably be too terrified to pee anywhere again!!

it's not a naughty thing lol it's a dog thing

and yep some of them will mark at all sorts of times

my g/fs dog marks when he visits lol

some of mine would mark when a new pup would arrive - pee all over his bed or even bowl LOL

yep theyre toilet trained in normal circumstances but sometimes things just need to be done - thats their world!

in my case it settled - once the new pup was totally accepted

• 1 month later...

Firstly - yes males will always mark territory - desexed or not. But I think your problem is more to do with puppy adolescence. My dogs (and male cats) have done this as well at the teens. Part of it is pushing the boundries. He will grow out of it (again) fairly quickly but you do need to be really firm. You may need to reinforce the potty training again from when he was a puppy for a while (eg, take him out and supervise toilet).

My female peed on my pillow as an adolescent when I left my bedroom door open one day. So I truly sympathise!

Lately whenever I let my 11 month old stafford in the house she jumps straight onto my bed and pee's on it!!!

She was always allowed to jump on for snuggles but not anymore!

Also when I'm playing fetch she'll go out of her way to go in her kennel and pee on her cushion before bringing the ball back.... soooo not happy with her right now!